[Viewsat] Trying to get started on fta cheap.

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Right now I am using a point and pray method. I just use the signal indicators on the receiver. I think I might have to update the software on my receiver.

I have a temporary jig set up for my lnb and it is getting a good signal (about 85 percent) but I can't seem to find any channels. What should I try next?

What dish?

LNBF brand / model / LO?

Receiver brand / model?

What satellite are you aiming for?

What transponder is selected?

What is your location?

What is the dish elevation setting and approximate azimuth (compass reading)?

What is the LNBF skew angle (rotation) setting?

What sats can I get in Springfield mo? My receiver is a viewsat vs2000 platinum. Lnb is a chaprall most of the labels are to faded to read. As for the dish, it's a reclaimed Hughes net. Now I haven't changed the settings except turning the dish to the first signal I find.

Let's start with...

C-band band LNB or LNBF? If you dont know, take some photos.

All mechanical and receiver settings are necessary to find a satellite. Unless you have the correct feedhorn, skew setting, dish angle, azimuth and receiver settings for LNB type, power and and active transponder, no satellite signal will be locked.

Satellite aiming calculation apps or websites are useful to know what satellites are visible at your location. Check out www.dishpointer.com

If you are trying to locate c-band with a 4' dish, good luck.... not a good project for your first attempt at receiving FTA channels.

I would HIGHLY recommend buying a Standard type KU band LNBF and aiming for 97w satellite for your first try at FTA. Once you understand the programming, scanning, aiming process better, then try something difficult like c-band on a 4' dish.

You are probably right about me choosing a difficult project but the parts just fell into my lap so I basically decided to make it happen.

If a LNB, power with 18vdc (horizontal polarity lnb setting) and manually rotate the feedhorn so the probe inside the feedhorn throat is rotated to the polarity and skew angle for the target satellite.

You also will need a conical scalar as a flat scalar will not properly illuminate the .5/.6 FD reflector. Performance will be poor if using the flat scalar or no scalar.

Likely the only satellite that you lock is 99w. Try for the Lesea channels ( transponder frequency 4000, horizontal polarity, 26400 symbol rate ).

Reactions: primestar31
You are probably right about me choosing a difficult project but the parts just fell into my lap so I basically decided to make it happen.
The advice is that you don't have the right combination of parts assembled to make a for a good learning tool. A learning tool needs to be something that will work under most conditions. C-band on a four-footer will likely only work under near-ideal conditions and with the hottest signals. With an LNB that may be dead and a too-small dish, you have two strikes against you out of the gate. Testing any component of a system depends on knowing that all of the other components are giving you what you need.

You also need to know where to place the LNB (how far from the dish surface) in order to get it to work with your dish and that's not something that you can easily dial in with a dish that gives you little signal to begin with.

Okay, I understand what both of you are saying. So, I will keep looking into a large dish but I still want to see if I might pick something. I get really amped when it comes to challenges. If things are too easy I get bored fast. So harshness, don't think I'm ignoring your advice. I get it, most people would give up if they don't get some sort signal right away. But I get a little stubborn if I think I can make something work and after reading some of the post on other threads I think I can get a set up going. Even one channel is a start. That's all I want, just a start.

Okay titanium, I think I can manage that. It seems pretty straight forward. Thanks.

I'll try to get some pics up for reference. You will probably be able to help me better.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts