Trying to order Dish need some help!!

Gobucks

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 2, 2012
Ohio
Hey guys I'm hoping someone here can help me. My old HR23 with Direct bit the dust so now I'm ready to jump to Dish. My problem is I just want to get two Hoppers and that's it. I called Dish and it's a no go from them. I called a local installer that has advertisements in our paper and it's a no go. Is there anyway to get just two Hoppers? We have two TV's and just want Hoppers. That way my wife has one and I have one.

Also I have a few questions. I know like Direct... Dish usually raises prices on packages and Fee's for DVR and such. My question is if I can get someone to do the two hoppers and I lock in for the year will my bill increase in Feb too or am I really locked in for the price I signed up for? I was also wondering if I get an external HD for one Hopper will the second Hopper be able to see it and play the recordings on it? Last question... I have had Direct for 7 years and have cables already run to my TV's. Will the Dish installers be able to use them for the Hoppers?

Thanks for the help guys. I appreciate your guidance and help with this!!

The easy way is to PM a DIRT member here to assist you. Or you can order the 2 Hopper/2 Joey setup from Dish and when the installer shows up, tell him you only want the Hoppers. Or have the Joeys activated and take them off the account after a couple of days, calling Dish to take them back. Dish does not lock in prices, they usually only have price increases in February.

Thanks for your help guys! I will try to PM a DIRT member. I can't believe its this hard to sign up for Dish and just get two Hoppers. I don't want to buy one and I really can't have two Joye's installed and then deactivate because I only have two TV's. I don't really want to go that route. I will PM a DIRT member and see what they can do. If they can't do anything I guess I'm stuck with Direct for a while longer.

This is probably a dumb question but how do I find a DIRT member?

Last edited:
I would suggest going to a local retailer to sign up. As for package prices, they can change at any time whether you are under contract or not.

I can't understand why Dish won't change the Hopper joey policy.Activating unwanted or un-needed joeys only to call back and deactivate seems like a big hassle.Also seems like a waste of money but,what do I know.

Probably for the some of the same reasons that DIRECTV doesn't allow multiple Genies.

You wouldn't buy/build a Windows Server to run desktop applications, would you?

I think you miss my point.Either they will sell Hoppers without joeys or they won't.None of this grey area should be required.

I think you miss my point.Either they will sell Hoppers without joeys or they won't.None of this grey area should be required.

That's what I was thinking. All I want to do is sign up with Dish. If I can't get the two Hopper set up which it looks like I can't. I'll stay with Direct TV. I've called local retailers here in Columbus and they can't get me that set up. I really don't want to pay $350 to $400 for a second Hopper when new customers have got 2 Hoppers and some Joeys for $99.

Either they will sell Hoppers without joeys or they won't.
The answer is clear: they won't. Again, I cite DIRECTV's old policy of not offering HR34s to customers that didn't have an RVU capable TV as another example of how the order entry systems aren't particularly power user oriented.

That you can game them into giving it to you anyway is why forums like this flourish.

I just tried another retailer and they said it can't be done. I guess I have to stick with Direct TV. This stinks I was really looking forward to Dish. Thanks again for your help guys. I guess if they don't want my money Direct will keep taking it.

I just tried another retailer and they said it can't be done. I guess I have to stick with Direct TV. This stinks I was really looking forward to Dish. Thanks again for your help guys. I guess if they don't want my money Direct will keep taking it.
It can be done, but it looks like those retailers don't know the computer system well enough.

here's a quote back in april on how to do it...

Set up just like any other sale, reconnect (dish retailer order screen) asks how many hdtvs, dvr on how many TVs. It suggested 1 Hopper and 1 Joey. Clicked "customize" changed it to 2 hoppers and no Joey's and that was it. Check with local retailers if you can't get this done from Dish. No hoops to jump through here and now we know for sure.

Last edited:
Our neighborhood good guy Matt from the Dirt team helped me out. I did a 2 Hopper 1 Joey system. I'll just have him deactivate the Joey a couple days later. I'll send it back and that will be that. So I am ordered and ready to go!! I've been waiting forever!!! Thanks again guys and thanks Matt! You the man!

It can be done, but it looks like those retailers don't know the computer system well enough.

here's a quote back in april on how to do it...

Dish just rolled out a new order entry system for the entire company including retailers so we may not be able to do it any more. I'm not sure since I have sold 2 Hoppers alone yet.

Scherrman said:
Dish just rolled out a new order entry system for the entire company including retailers so we may not be able to do it any more. I'm not sure since I have sold 2 Hoppers alone yet.

When you find out, pls post anew thread telling us. I'm waiting for OTA & manual timers and want 2H/0J or maybe 2H/1 J.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts