Trying to upgrade an existing antenna setup

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

black296tuuk

Original poster
Jul 22, 2020
Los Angeles, CA
Greetings

I am looking for advice on how to get some increased reception based on my current setup.

My rabbit ears report.

My current antenna mounted on my roof.

I currently receive 2-1, 4-1,11-1, 50-1, and 58-1. I am only listing the channels that I am specififcally trying to watch.

I would like to get 5-1, 7-1, and 9-1. 7-1 one is on the edge of comming in but the others are too weak to even be consideered a source. 5-1 KTLA is the one we would really like to have.

As you can see, I am all over this report. I get channels that I clearly should not and I don't receive some that I should. I feel like this the the nature of the beast as there will be wiggle room with all of these types of tech. I have been up and down on the roof over a dozen times trying to fine tune the setup but I think I am at the point where a change in hardware is the better solution. I have an newish installed straight run from the antena on the roof to the tv.

Any input would be appreciated. Thank you.

Your problem is the hills to your NE. They block the Mount Wilson antenna farm from view at your location, giving you 2 edge signal up to 175 ft AGL.

From antenna design and the picture, it is optimized for UHF with only a small VHF element in the middle. If you want channels 5-1 (RF 35), 7-1 (RF 7)and 9-1 (RF 9), the first thing I would do would be to get more elevation. If you can try for at least a 30 ft telescoping pole in the middle of the roof peak guyed to each corner of the house. By going from 30 to 60 ft, you double the signal strength from KTLA 5 and it may be enough to allow that weak VHF element to pull in 7-1 and 9-1.

If 7-1 and 9-1 are not available with your current antenna at 60+ feet, then look at a Winegard HD7694 or better an HD7698 or a Channel Master Masterpiece 100.

Ultimately TV reception, especially at 2 edge is more of an art than a science. Just looking at the numbers only suggests which way to go. Experimenting with heights and antennas will probably be the only cure.

Do any of your neighbors have antennas they use, talk to them and see what success they have with reception?

Reactions: harshness
Thank you for the detailed response. I dont have anyone near me that has a working antenna. I figured that Mt Washington was the problem. I am going to play with gaining some height, do you folks have any recommended poles that are used more often?

Both Rohn and Channel Master make telescoping antenna poles, but they are not inexpensive ($150-$200).

Unfortunately, a high sensitivity antenna may be in the same price range.

If I lived in your location I’d start with an antenna with as much directivity as possible. A single antenna solution would be the Winegard HD 7698P.

The directivity would get a stronger signal and also minimize multi path.

A useful trick with shadowed locations is to use trial and error to find the location on the roof that works the best.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts