Trying To Use Primestar Dish

Status
Please reply by conversation.

neil_kc1

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 14, 2004
KANSAS CITY AREA
Anyone out there using a primestar dish for f2air? Getting ready to put up a new dish and am trying to figure out how to best attach the lnb? cable ties? or any other suggestions?

You don't have the orig LNBF? Which dish model do you have? The P* LNBF is made to get the most from the dish. If you can get one or at least the feedhorn and C-120 LNB you should get the most out of it.

If you have a LNBF and want to try it then use a stainless metal strap and screws to hold it on.

Good luck and keep us posted.

neil_kc1 said:
Anyone out there using a primestar dish for f2air? Getting ready to put up a new dish and am trying to figure out how to best attach the lnb? cable ties? or any other suggestions?

I think Pete's method is the next best thing to a C120 flanged LNB and matching feedhorn.

I have a piece of plumber's tape holding my 40mm neck'd LNB in place for now. I couldn't bring myself to crack open the case on what was a brand new and my one and only Ku LNB.

I picked up another Channelmaster dish that is nearly identical to the Primestar I have and with this one I got the feedhorn as well as a DSS LNB mount. I plan on picking up an Invacom quad-polar C120 flanged LNB and mating it to the feedhorn that is matched to the dish for optimum performance.

This link is to a pic of how I originally mounted the LNB:

http://www.satelliteguys.us/attachment.php?attachmentid=4133

I later slid the LNB all the way back as I got the most signal quality that way.

I do have the original LNB but it is the old style with both H and V connectors. it came off easy enough and right now i have my LNB in place with a cable strap. I will update as i get things set up. Thanks for the suggestions. I thought maybe a pipe strap would work but wondered if the metal might pick up some interference? so thought of some type of plastic or pvc strap. By the way i am trying to build a "portable" dish so i can experiment. Saw the picture of what looks like a pstar dish on a pole in a larger bucket. thought i would give it a try.

You could use the old one and buy a frequency stacker that would place one of the polarities above the other in the 1450-2150 MHz range.

... or use a Voltage Controlled Multiswitch.

I have one here. It has two lines for lnb's, one for H and one for V; it's switched automatically depending on the voltage given. The ideal addition for an lnb with seperate H/V plugs ;)

Attachments

• multiswitch.jpg
    multiswitch.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 262
Yeah that will work too, I am just trying to over complicate it as I always do...

Wholeshoe

Charred can you explain that a bit more. just a simple layman here. voltage controlled multi switch, does that go on sat or receiver? i think maybe i have one of those for a old c band receiver someone gave me? is that possible?

It's very possible. As I understand it, it's an old device used used for combining 13-14v and 17-18v lines into one cable. Basically (I forget which, somone chime in and fill in) H is one of those voltages, and V is the other. This thing detetcs 13v and then switches the signal over to one plug on the lnb, or else detects 17v and switches over to the other plug. Nowadays lnbf's do this automatically, but if you DO have an old two plug H/V lnb (like old PS ones) then this will let you run a single normal line from your modern day receiver to the dish, into this switch, then have two lines into the lnb.

If I'm dead wrong about this, somone correct me, I haven't had a use for this yet :D So I haven't experimented on it.

Charred...you're right

The old Primestar LNB's did have a separate V (13) and H (18) lines. The polarity couldn't be changed. Using the multisiwtch above would combine them so you don't have to flip cables or a switch. When you are on a verticle channel, it would go to that side of the LNB.

Don't confuse this with a dual LNB, which looks like that but both polarities run through it.

A multiswitch also is good if you want to hook 3 receivers to one LNB (like G10)

The Invacom SNF-031 works great on my 84cm Primestar dish. It fits right on the C120 flange and works like a charm!!! Thanks, Mike

Ice I just love this Invacom LNB. I'm trying to save up for a HH motor. I'm sorry I didn't have a lot compare this to to do a review. My signals on the best transponders on G10 max out my Fortec Ultra. I hope this helps . Thanks, Mike

Attachments

• Invacom LNB 003.jpg
    Invacom LNB 003.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 308
NICE picture Mike! I will use that again and again. I like the peanuts in the background : )

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)