Tulsa and OKC Dish customers could once again lose the Griffin stations.

For what? From the TECHNICAL standpoint, Dish does remove the channels. Dish employees actually have hit the button/throw the switch to turn off/on a channel. Granted, they're doing it on orders from the local, but I consider it a true statement (although decidedly "spin").
Not necessarily...

I remember a few times programmers have deauthorized DISH's satellite decoders for those stations before DISH actually took them off the air.

But how (technically) was a programmer able to deauthorize a Dish receiver? Is the authorization tied to the program video?

If the receivers at Dish work in a conventional way then the programming is turned on and off on targeted receivers with conditional access codes in the stream. In this case the stream would be controlled by the content owner.

If the receivers at Dish work in a conventional way then the programming is turned on and off on targeted receivers with conditional access codes in the stream. In this case the stream would be controlled by the content owner.
Presumably the receivers at Dish were just picking up the OTA signal. That doesn't carry CA codes.

Oh. Or was it cable networks that could deauthorize a signal? That makes sense now.

Presumably the receivers at Dish were just picking up the OTA signal. That doesn't carry CA codes.

Oh. Or was it cable networks that could deauthorize a signal? That makes sense now.

I think Dish gets locals in a variety of ways depending on the market, both by fiber and OTA so that's a good point. Scott would probably know more about that.

Griffin Communications and Dish Network have reached an agreement for Dish to resume broadcasting KWTV News 9.
This follows a temporary agreement reached last week to provide service during the threat of severe winter weather.

“We appreciate our viewers’ understanding and support as we have worked through the negotiations,” said David Griffin, president of Griffin Communications. “We are pleased that once again, all our viewers will be able to enjoy local news, weather, sports and entertainment from Oklahoma’s Own News 9 and News On 6, in addition to their favorite CBS shows."

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)