Tulsa and OKC locals from Griffin Communications on clock with Dish now

Sinclair yanked KTUL (ABC) off CableOne subs in NE Oklahoma now too. Ktul's website and news apps have hijacked or something, which isnt a big deal, they have sucked since Sinclair took over.

An interesting source (I found it interesting)...

According to http://www.americantelevisionallian...-Broadcaster-Retrans-Blackouts-2010-2014.docx, since 2010 there's been 83 disputes resulting in blackouts. Dish has been involved in 36 of them (43%). Direct had 15 disputes (18%), and Time Warner 7 (8%).

I think it is safe to say Dish does have more blackouts than other MVPDs (almost more than others combined).

ETA: My numbers are based simply on counting what's on the list. I could have miscounted at some point, but I don't think the numbers are going to change more than +/-1.

I have been realistic about that and have posted I know DISH does have more. (Did not think quite that much more) But to beat a poor dead horse, I also am saving upwards of $180+ over very similar equipment and package over Direct TV so I see it as a trade off. Also many of those disputes affect very few sometimes so it's nowhere near that many blackouts for all subscribers.
If you go back a few years at that time DISH probably had even more of a percentage.

Reactions: osu1991
An interesting source (I found it interesting)...

According to http://www.americantelevisionallian...-Broadcaster-Retrans-Blackouts-2010-2014.docx, since 2010 there's been 83 disputes resulting in blackouts. Dish has been involved in 36 of them (43%). Direct had 15 disputes (18%), and Time Warner 7 (8%).

I think it is safe to say Dish does have more blackouts than other MVPDs (almost more than others combined).

ETA: My numbers are based simply on counting what's on the list. I could have miscounted at some point, but I don't think the numbers are going to change more than +/-1.
What about where the market is the same? For instance, TWC cannot negotiate for the locals here in PHX, as the cable company is Cox. If they are channels that both companies can carry, what does that percentage break down to then? I would think the more markets you work with, the more likelihood of a take down. Obviously, Dish and DTV are comparable, market for market, but it is hard to compare cable companies that only share a small portion of the owners to negotiate with(national channels excluded).

What about where the market is the same? For instance, TWC cannot negotiate for the locals here in PHX, as the cable company is Cox. If they are channels that both companies can carry, what does that percentage break down to then? I would think the more markets you work with, the more likelihood of a take down. Obviously, Dish and DTV are comparable, market for market, but it is hard to compare cable companies that only share a small portion of the owners to negotiate with(national channels excluded).
I understand your point, and if you want to go to the list and see what shared markets there are, go ahead. However, any given market is going to have Dish, DTV, and at least one (if not multiple) cable companies. What does it say that Dish is the only one with a blackout of a market? Many of the blackouts have been with franchise owners (Raycom for example), which has affiliates in multiple markets and (in theory) negotiates with many cable companies.

To Tampa's point, he might be saving $180 by staying with Dish, I'm saving $10 (compared to comparable D*). Actually, IIRC, that would be a new Genie system w/D* compared to my 211 & 612 w/Dish, so I don't know if the hardware would be comparable. $10 a month difference helps, but I wouldn't categorize it as "a lot". What keeps me from switching is more the hassle of it than $10 a month.

Griffin was getting slammed in the facebook comments, so they have removed comments now and put up a new scary banner :rolleyes: that we will all miss the AFC Championship game if Dish doesn't make a deal by Jan 18th. Saying they are an Oklahoma company and all these funds will remain in Oklahoma to help pay for local news weather and sports coverage. No mention of the half CBS takes out of it. :eek

http://keepnewson6.com/

I feel considering they offer it free to any one with Rabbit ears they should start charging there too, Why should all the pay cable providers pay the bill for weather and Deano

I wonder if a longer term KSBI contract that was already signed is to blame...That or Dish put all of its resources towards Fox News. I doubt this blackout will be long. If Griffin is trying to use the AFC for pull they have to realize dish had no problems dropping Fox News let alone a small OKC/Tulsa CBS market.

Yup, they gone...And so is the programming guide. At least on the OTA channel the guide is still there. I just keep on watching. I feel sorry for the folks who don't have OTA and predominantly watched Channel 6 and now don't get what they paid for.
If my guide data for Channel 06-01 goes away and my timers are screwed, I will be one pi$$ed off dude! And they will hear from me.

Yup, they gone...And so is the programming guide. At least on the OTA channel the guide is still there. I just keep on watching. I feel sorry for the folks who don't have OTA and predominantly watched Channel 6 and now don't get what they paid for.
If my guide data for Channel 06-01 goes away and my timers are screwed, I will be one pi$$ed off dude! And they will hear from me.

Check again that guide data is gone too. It is replaced with Dish every half hour as the guide updates.

Funny as usual guide is gone for CW19 on OTA 19.1 but guide is still there for ThisTv on 19.2. Same for 6.1 no guide for CBS but guide on 6.2 and 6.3 for the CW SD feed and the 24/7 newscast loop

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)