Tuning in a Dp Plus LNB?!!

mikemorin

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 11, 2006
Southern Indiana
hello, i install for a local company and when signaling in a dishpro plus lnb when i peak the signal strength on my accutrac pro meter and tighten things up and check switch it sometimes its like in the low 80's and i have to call the customer while im outside repeaking the dish? Anyone else run into this quite often or whats the deal?? Any different modes i need to switch on my accutrac to help this or just suffer LOL

thanks
mike

I thought I already answered this one once before on another forum. The DP Plus LNB has a problem as far as I can tell. Either it's too sensitive or not sensitive enough, but it will hit the satellite and max out on my meter. And not change with small movements. So I never use a Dish Pro Plus LNB to peak a dish. I always peak with a Dish Pro or Legacy LNBF and then when it is peaked perfectly I put the Dish Pro Plus LNBF on the Dish and everything is fine..

Mike, Skymarkview is right. Use a DP dual to line up your dish, then swap it out with your twin.

Now I will tell you why:

The meter doesn't pass enough power to the LNB to work right. Same reason a lot of legacy recievers won't run on a DPP. Not enough power. Age old problem.

Use your DP Dual and you will have it made! You could use a legacy, but I have an acutrac22 and found the DP dual to work the best.

The meter doesn't pass enough power to the LNB to work right. Same reason a lot of legacy recievers won't run on a DPP. Not enough power. Age old problem.

I knew I had the right answer.. And now someone has finally explained what the problem was.. I just knew I would never use a DP Plus LNBF to line a dish. Even an old man can learn something new now and then.

The DPP needs more voltage I have a Sat buddy II(they do at the factory) set up to read through a DPP and it will work but it will drain the battery very fast so I still find it better to use a duel.

Yeah, what he's saying is that if you have a sat buddy (any model) you can send it back to Applied Instruments for the upgrade to allow more power to pass for the DPP LNBs. If you purchase a new Sat Buddy they already come with that upgrade. It costs $15.00 last time I checked for them to rework the old models. I'm not sure what the cut off date is for when they started upgrading them. Some time in 2006 I believe. You can call them at 317-782-4331 with your serial number and they should be able to tell you if your buddy needs the upgrade or not.

5230 Elmwood Ave.
Indianapolis, IN 46203 USA
317-782-4331
www.appliedin.com

Last edited:
DP Plus Problem

I have the same problem, so I tune in my 500 dish with a dp dual on the 119 side. Tightne dish then swap out with a DPPlus Twin

Dave mentioned a Birdog. I have found out that with my new birdog(this is only in the newest models) that it works fine with DPP. However it does drain the battery quicker on DPP LNB's. So to save 5-10 mins I have been using the new birdog. Before that I was doing the same, using a DP LNB to peak the dish first.
Now I just charge the birdog a little more often.

Dave mentioned a Birdog. I have found out that with my new birdog(this is only in the newest models) that it works fine with DPP. However it does drain the battery quicker on DPP LNB's. So to save 5-10 mins I have been using the new birdog. Before that I was doing the same, using a DP LNB to peak the dish first.
Now I just charge the birdog a little more often.

Anybody have any luck peaking in a DISH 1000 with the DP DUAL hooked up to the DPP TWIN? Does the birdog work with that also? Thanks.

I've found that rather than use my good meter, I use a POS $12 meter - peak it on 119 then bare off to the left. (You do it a 1000 times and it's like picking your nose...) 95% of the time I get 90+ on my 2nd ck switch. I guess I just plumb the mast good enough, and know the exact placement of elevation.

I've got to try it with a dual though. I'd love to be able to peak it and confidently leave the roof knowing it's a 100% on the money the FIRST TIME!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts