Tuning into Dish Network Channels without a box?

JasonSpatola

Original poster
Apr 15, 2010
USA
The claim:
My mother has an analog television connected not to a Dish Network receiver, but "just to a cable from the wall". A DVD player is also connected. No Dish Network peripherals in sight.

She claims, that as long as she uses the Dish Network remote, she is able to access her Dish Network channels, as well as the Dish Network interface elements (channel info, guide, Dish Network logo, etc.).

I've not looked at this setup, but it sounds extremely, extremely unlikely.

Is this possible in any way whatsoever? Is there some kind of discreet Dish Network receiver box that she's failed to spot? Her DVD player has a digital tuner - could she be tuning into her Dish channels that way while mistaking its guide for the Dish Network one? Is that even possible?

Is there some kind of... magic remote tuner?

I'm sorry if this all sounds completely stupid, but she's adamant that it works, and I'd like to know how.

Thanks.

-JSS

Most likely she has a dual tuner receiver. You have the box in one room and it works two tvs independently. The 2nd room only requires a UHF remote that shoots through the walls to work the box in the other room.

I assume she is paying Dish Network every month? Or is she claiming to "just get Dish Network"?

OR...if it is a multi-dwelling...High Rise apartments building, or something like that, in which case it could be modulated out-put...a commercial type setup. There could there a room with multiple receivers connected to modulators.

Or it could be a dual tuner.:D

The claim:
My mother has an analog television connected not to a Dish Network receiver, but "just to a cable from the wall". A DVD player is also connected. No Dish Network peripherals in sight.

She claims, that as long as she uses the Dish Network remote, she is able to access her Dish Network channels, as well as the Dish Network interface elements (channel info, guide, Dish Network logo, etc.).

I've not looked at this setup, but it sounds extremely, extremely unlikely.

Is this possible in any way whatsoever? Is there some kind of discreet Dish Network receiver box that she's failed to spot? Her DVD player has a digital tuner - could she be tuning into her Dish channels that way while mistaking its guide for the Dish Network one? Is that even possible?

Is there some kind of... magic remote tuner?

I'm sorry if this all sounds completely stupid, but she's adamant that it works, and I'd like to know how.

Thanks.

-JSS

OK, if she doesn't have a Dish Network receiver, explain to me WHY she has a Dish Network REMOTE? :confused:

It seems to me, if she has the remote, she's gotta have a receiver somewhere.... I'm sure her tv set, or dvd player didn't come with a Dish remote as default...

So, yeah, I'm betting there's a dual-tuner receiver in her house that she's controlling with a uhf remote... As others said.

She could have an OTA box PAL-40 or something like that which brings up a Dish looking guide but is striclty for Digital locals. Cool actually if locals are your thing, actually a mother kind of thing, the only one I ever saw was at someones mothers,

There have been cases of cablecos illegally retransmitting Dish programming. And I suppose the Dish remote could have been programmed for a cable box. I really don't think this is the case, but it is in the realm of possibilities.

Or she's just messing with him.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)