Turbo HD poll...What to do now

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

As a TurboHD subscriber, I'm now going to:

• Wait and see

Votes: 88 53.7%
  • Move to the Classics packages

Votes: 35 21.3%
  • Upgrade to a higher TurboHD package

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • File a Class action suit, for real

Votes: 6 3.7%
  • Leave Dish after my commitment ends

Votes: 42 25.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
That is not true. If the TurboHD programming doesn't have what you need/want (like Fox News HD, VH1 HD, Nick HD, Speed HD, FX HD, etc.) then even if you stay with DISH you'd have to "upgrade" to the Classic+HD package which is consideribly more expensive and really not any cheaper than DirecTV -- and remember D* has RSNs that are full-time (so you get to watch ALL your HD games in HD). So yes there are valid reasons, other than principle, to leave E* if they don't get their act together and add the new HD channels to the TurboHD.
You'd lock yourself into a new 24 month contract, end up paying at least as much as you'd pay for the classic packs, pay the start-up costs for getting the DirecTV hardware, and go with the provider that now has fewer national HD channels?

Seriously?

You're absolutely right that you do get more sports HD options with DirecTV, but if that was your priority I'd think you'd be leaving Dish regardless of what happens with TurboHD?

I'm not asking to be intentionally antagonistic -- I really am curious if there is a financial play for some people to make the switch over this. In my case I ran the numbers of converting to Classic 250 + GoldHD vs a switch to DirecTV, and even with the 1st year savings on DirecTV I'd come out behind, but I'm 20 months into a 24 month commitment with Dish so I'd have to pay a $40 termination fee.

I complained about not getting any HD channels added to the Silver TurboHD package to a CSR on online chat, after asking how long was left on my contract, and she upgraded me to classic Silver and gave me $5/mo and my Showtime free for 6 months. I'll have to re-evaulute after the 6 months, but until then it is like I'm getting the "Classic upgrade" for free. Just thought I'd share my experience and let people know that they're willing to give you some things to keep you subscribed.

You'd lock yourself into a new 24 month contract,
So, I did that when I signed up for DISH; this point really isn't relevant IMO.

end up paying at least as much as you'd pay for the classic packs,
True the cost would be about the same, but with D* my HD RSN would be full-time.

pay the start-up costs for getting the DirecTV hardware,
I can get HD DVR for free with D* (and they are advertising that all over the website too) so this point isn't valid either.

and go with the provider that now has fewer national HD channels?
Do you honestly believe that E* is going to stay out front forever? Both providers will leapfrog back and forth every so often. As long as D* has the channels I want, then it's moot.

You're absolutely right that you do get more sports HD options with DirecTV, but if that was your priority I'd think you'd be leaving Dish regardless of what happens with TurboHD?
I never said it was my priority, but it is a factor. If I am paying the about same to price at E* (because I have to get Classic+HD) as I would at D* then I might as well go to D* and get full time HD RSNs.

I'm not asking to be intentionally antagonistic -- I really am curious if there is a financial play for some people to make the switch over this.
At the Silver level there is. The total cost for two years of D* would be cheaper than sticking with E* (since I would have to get Classic + HD to get the new HD channels I want).

I guess I am a little perplexed. I got TurboHD Silver last summer. Every other commercial on TV at the time was for TurboHD. Now I still cannot watch F1 on Speed while other Dish Network customers can. What the dilly?

I guess I am a little perplexed. I got TurboHD Silver last summer. Every other commercial on TV at the time was for TurboHD. Now I still cannot watch F1 on Speed while other Dish Network customers can. What the dilly?

That's exactly what I told Dish when I wrote them a firm, up front letter. They NEVER advertise Turbo anymore, which convinces me more and more that Turbo HD has served its purpose and that Dish will eliminate it eventually. They used it to bait people. Well, it has all the channels (except FOX News) that I like and if they think that I'm going to spend another $18 a month for a bunch of SD channels I don't want then I can show them some great, cheap property in the Everglades for sale!!

;)

I want to change my vote. I have just gotten sick of paying for TV that I don't watch. I just downgraded to the welcome pack + locals. When I move next year, I am going to switch to an antenna and a Tivo and be done with it.

Ted

This is my conversation with a CSR in chat. Now I'm even more confused.

(03) Gary M: Thank you for being a valued DISH Network customer, I will be happy to assist you today. Please give me 2-3 minutes to access your account and review the information you have already provided.
(03) Gary M: I understand your concern, let me help you with that.
Nathan: thank you
(03) Gary M: We are submitting the request for our customers so that the 7 new channels will be added to our Turbo packages.
(03) Gary M: So far, we have not received any confirmation yet.
(03) Gary M: We are likely get updates in regard to this channel addition.
Nathan: awesome
(03) Gary M: Therefore, I would request you to check back with us after couple of days.
Nathan: thank you very much Gary...I will do that
(03) Gary M: You're very welcome.
(03) Gary M: Have I answered everything to your satisfaction?
Nathan: when you say "the 7 new channels," are you referring to FX HD, Speed HD, Foxnews HD...among others?
(03) Gary M: Please give me a minute so that I can list the channels for you.
Nathan: thanks
(03) Gary M: Thank you for your patience.
(03) Gary M: I have a good news for you.
(03) Gary M: I have just checked the updates and I see that the abovementioned channels has been made available to our customers.
Nathan: In TurboHD? I am a silver customer
(03) Gary M: The Speed Channel HD, FX HD, Fashion TV HD, and LOGO HD.
Nathan: great, i will check when I get home. Thank you
(03) Gary M: IT is available with the Standard and HD channel combination packages.
(03) Gary M: It**
Nathan: Great, thank you gary...
(03) Gary M: The 7 channels I was referring to are MTV HD, VH1, BET, Nickelodeon (East) HD and others.
(03) Gary M: You're very welcome.
(03) Gary M: Have I answered everything to your satisfaction?
(03) Gary M: The other channels are Spike HD, Comedy Central HD and Country Music TV HD.

There's a glimmer of hope in this part:

"Gary M: We are submitting the request for our customers so that the 7 new channels will be added to our Turbo packages."

Whether anything gets done about it...

There's a glimmer of hope in this part:

"Gary M: We are submitting the request for our customers so that the 7 new channels will be added to our Turbo packages."

Whether anything gets done about it...

Probably not. Dish apparently has already made their mind up on what they intend to do with Turbo. They won't listen to us.

I don't think it's that they're not listening, but I think it takes time for Dish to do anything (they have the maneuvering capabilities of an aircraft carrier, not a motorcycle).

I can't find the link right now, but I seem to recall Scott & crew had a similar sit-down with Charlie at Team Summit last year and asked about the ability to get RSNs with the HD only package. 3 months later (August 2008) the TurboHD packages came out which were a retooling of the HD Only package so the RSNs could be bundled. Hopefully they can get something done quicker for Speed/FX, but if it comes down to some additional contract negotiations it wouldn't surprise me if it took a few more weeks to hammer something out.

I selected wait and see for my choice. The main channel left that I wanted in HD was FX. I have been waiting for it since signing up back in the fall. Been waiting patiently for it to be added and enjoying my Turbo HD Bronze for $52 plus taxes. Then I see I can't get it at any level of Turbo package. I figure crap I might as well just bite the bullet and upgrade to the silver + HD. I'd get the FX plus some other channels that would make others in the family happy. I had already logged into my account and changed over to classic silver + HD etc for $80 per month plus taxes. All I had to do was confirm the change and then I though, screw em. I'm not increasing my monthly bill by $28 for a couple of channels when I should be at least able to get them at the Turbo HD Silver or Gold for less. Now I'm gonna just sit back and enjoy what I have. I'll just watch what I can on Hulu and use some of that extra savings to sub to Netflix.

I selected wait and see for my choice. The main channel left that I wanted in HD was FX. I have been waiting for it since signing up back in the fall. Been waiting patiently for it to be added and enjoying my Turbo HD Bronze for $52 plus taxes. Then I see I can't get it at any level of Turbo package. I figure crap I might as well just bite the bullet and upgrade to the silver + HD. I'd get the FX plus some other channels that would make others in the family happy. I had already logged into my account and changed over to classic silver + HD etc for $80 per month plus taxes. All I had to do was confirm the change and then I though, screw em. I'm not increasing my monthly bill by $28 for a couple of channels when I should be at least able to get them at the Turbo HD Silver or Gold for less. Now I'm gonna just sit back and enjoy what I have. I'll just watch what I can on Hulu and use some of that extra savings to sub to Netflix.

That's exactly how I feel. I'm not going to fork out another$18 a month on my bill to get a lot of channels I don't want just in order to get a few. I'm going to sit it out and wait!! I'M NOT GIVING IN!!! :music:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)