TurboTax vs. TaxCut vs. old O.S.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I finally completed Fed and State taxes using TaxCut. I filed the Federal form electronically ($15.95) to expedite the refund. Since I owned the state $15 I chose (again) to just file that one on paper; given that I had to mail something to them anyway the only added cost was a few extra sheets of paper and ink, and I saved the additional electronic fee. TC imported all the stored personal and financial information left over from our '05 returns - we had a total of 3 to process - without any problems. Wham, bam, thank-you ma'am!

In all I found TaxCut to be very intuitive, perhaps moreso than TurboTax that I have been using for at least 10 years, and a little more "glitch free", tho' many of my past problems have been more likely due to my snail's pace dial-up connection. The total cost was $18.95 plus tax for the SW from Wal-Mart, and that $15.95 filing fee, overall cheaper than what I used to spend with TurboTax as well, but I may not be comparing apples-to-apples.

I was going to try to use the state's (PA) direct website, but my understanding is that I still need to (re)enter all the personal information, and that it isn't stored for next year. (Please correct me if I'm wrong on any of that.) That seemed like a waste so I just D/L'd the state product from TC and went that route.

Tks all for your suggestions. Now, where to spend all that refund ?!? Meet me in the Pub this coming Fri...!

Coming to this one late, but have used TT for the past ten years or so. This year's TT worked well; I use the Home and Business version. I'd say that the program has its frustrations - like everytime you go back to visit something the home office deduction in the interview you have to go through the entire stinking thing.

... In all I found TaxCut to be very intuitive, perhaps moreso than TurboTax that I have been using ...
Same here. I tried it and will use it next year.

I offered a comment after completing the process. In line with your thought, I told them "It seems more intuitive than Turbo Tax..."

...I offered a comment after completing the process. In line with your thought, I told them "It seems more intuitive than Turbo Tax..."
Yeah, I saw that play on words brewing! Perhaps we need to send the same thoughts to Intuit...!

I used to use Turbo Tax for years until they went all bloatware and filled it with adware/spyware about 4 years ago. That when I went to TaxCut and never looked back. TT may have eliminated their spyware by now (I hope so) but I think it was the 02 or 03 version that had that in it and I passed. In any case I like Tax Cut better and it's cheaper.

Here is a question for those who have switched to Tax Cut:

Will it import data from a Turbo Tax file? I have years of depreciation info from a home remodel in Turbo Tax, and while I would be willing to consider a different program, the deal breaker would be whether or not it could import all of the data. As it is, I don't have to deal with any of it; the Home Office Deduction interview already has all of the relevant info.

Here is a question for those who have switched to Tax Cut:

Will it import data from a Turbo Tax file? ...
That was a concern for me, too. The box said it would, so I decided to give it a try. It imported all my TT info from last year with no problems. I'm glad I tried it and will use it next year.

That was a concern for me, too. The box said it would, so I decided to give it a try. It imported all my TT info from last year with no problems. I'm glad I tried it and will use it next year.

Thanks, I might try it next year. But right now, I want to put taxes out of my mind for awhile... :D

I mailed my taxes in WAAAAYYY early this year, about 7:30 this morning. I had to be out of town for a meeting, and wasn't sure when I would be back, and currently I don't live in a town where they were going to keep light on for late filers. Of course, it was two days later than the normal April 15, but I have mailed my taxes more than once after 11 PM on the 15th. I DID my taxes in February. But I'm not getting anything back, and its a matter of principle to me NOT to send off my check a day earlier than I have to.

When I lived in Northern VA, taking the return to the main DC area post office in Merrifield just before midnight was an annual ritual. Traffic directors and special drive-by drop-off boxes were there for the many procrastinators. It was a fun way to do an un-fun thing.

...I DID my taxes in February. But I'm not getting anything back, and its a matter of principle to me NOT to send off my check a day earlier than I have to.
Bogy - I certainly agree with that principle, so I mail my state and local taxes very close to the deadline each year. The fact that I usually have a federal refund should prompt me to earlier action, but that hasn't worked in recent years, so that return is always "late" as well! Nothing like consistency! And the fact that I usually have a federal refund is a problem unto itself that I need to address. Well, at least I can consider all the interest I lose on MY money over the year a contribution to helping with the national debt...!

When I lived in Northern VA, taking the return to the main DC area post office in Merrifield just before midnight was an annual ritual. Traffic directors and special drive-by drop-off boxes were there for the many procrastinators. It was a fun way to do an un-fun thing.
That was once a big event locally as well. They once had entertainment and refreshments in the PO lobby for those waiting in line, even a "babe" or two to help point the way!

Did anyone else hear about the last minute problems at Intuit? I didn't get the full scoop, but apparently their servers overloaded or shut down at a most inopportune time as the last minute filers were scrambling to meet the deadline. Intuit's message to their ill-fated customers - "File earlier" !! I wonder if those folks will now be subject to IRS penalties and fees for late filing !?! Can you say "class action law suit" ??

Glad I went with TaxCut this year. Assuming the H&R Block product will continue to support Win98, I'll stick with them next year as well.

Now back to my regularly-scheduled life for another 11+ months...!

I saw a headline someplace this afternoon that the IRS would not penalize those inconvenienced by the "glitch." Actually, they get so many at this time of the year that I am not all that convinced that they really pay that much attention to the postmarks, as long as its not getting there a week from now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)