Turn Dish service on and off

domike

Original poster
May 1, 2011
United States
I'll be moving to Washington DC in a few months, and I won't be making a lot of money so I am trying to cut corners where possible.

I don't watch a lot of TV, but when I do, it's entirely for football: both college and NFL. For the NFL, I exclusively watch NFL Redzone Channel.

In order to get NFL RZC on Dish, I need the multi-sport package, which means I need at least AT120+. If I turn on and off the multi-sport package for non-football months, this saves me $7 a month.

If I sign up for a two-year commitment of AT120+, and turn on the multi-sport package so I have it only when I need it, it will cost me ~$1,104 over two years. I would rather not have to spend all that money when all I really need it for is football.

So, finally, is my question: is it possible to have Dish Network service (including HD/DVR) and the multi-sport package for only certain months out of the year, i.e., when it's football season? If so, how much would it be for month-to-month service, cancelling, and turning it back on? Is this the best option for me, or is there another method or service that would work better?

Thanks!

I'll be moving to Washington DC in a few months, and I won't be making a lot of money so I am trying to cut corners where possible.

I don't watch a lot of TV, but when I do, it's entirely for football: both college and NFL. For the NFL, I exclusively watch NFL Redzone Channel.

In order to get NFL RZC on Dish, I need the multi-sport package, which means I need at least AT120+. If I turn on and off the multi-sport package for non-football months, this saves me $7 a month.

If I sign up for a two-year commitment of AT120+, and turn on the multi-sport package so I have it only when I need it, it will cost me ~$1,104 over two years. I would rather not have to spend all that money when all I really need it for is football.

So, finally, is my question: is it possible to have Dish Network service (including HD/DVR) and the multi-sport package for only certain months out of the year, i.e., when it's football season? If so, how much would it be for month-to-month service, cancelling, and turning it back on? Is this the best option for me, or is there another method or service that would work better?

Thanks!
You could always buy your own receiver and install your own dish or have someone do it for you. That way you can turn your service on and off whenever you want to. You could also just get the Welcome Package for $14.99 and add any package with it.

Last edited:

Thanks!

You are a prime candidate for a Flex account. No commitment, and you can end service and begin service on an "at will" basis. In your situation a DISH Pause may be out, because you can only put the account on DISH Pause once in a 12 month rolling period, and the payment would still be there. Flex is a great plan for situations like this, or when you roll in an RV during the summer months and only want service during that time.

The only option I know of is using DISHpause which is suppose to freeze your account whenever you want it. Using DISHpause will cost you $5/month.

DishPause is only good for 6 months.

Yep, to both, but only once in a 12 month rolling period and still a minimum payment.

You could always buy your own receiver and install your own dish or have someone do it for you. That way you can turn your service on and off whenever you want to. You could also just get the Welcome Package for $14.99 and add any package with it.

Flex... YA! You can turn it on and off on an "at will" basis, and no issues with extended contract or things like that.

In the OPs situation, this is exactly what I would do. What's great is that you could get the DA Silver package with MSP for the same as the AT120+/MSP. You would need HD equipment, but I believe the difference in equipment cost is little to none, anyway. Just a thought. It is a pre-pay account, but in your situation that helps, IMHO.

Last edited:
During Dish Pause can you still watch what you've pre-recorded on your DVRs?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)