TV 1 interfering with UHF antenna for TV 2

Most definitely could. Here is a simply way to verify if you are getting any broadband RF interference from your transformers. Get a battery powered AM transistor radio. Tune the radio to a station at about 50 yards from the transformer and start walking toward it. If your radio station is getting swamped with noise as you get closer to the transformer, it would be a clear indication of broadband RF interference. At very close distance to the transformer, some interference would probably be normal, depends how well it is shielded.

Got the radio. I set it on AM, around channel 120 was real clear at about 40 to 50 feet away from transformer. Walked right up to it and radio stayed crystal clear. So I guess the transformer is shielded pretty good.

Well, you cannot blame the transformer. I would try to extend the coax cable with the UHF antenna as close as you can towards the location where you have the poor remote performance.

Yep, one test is done. Thanks for the transformer testing info. I would really like to see if I can get that two splitter method to work and get the bedroom UHF antenna located in the greatroom. I will start testing a few scenarios in January. Received four 10 db attenuators and UHF antennas yesterday from Ebay. Also yesterday I purchased two cheap rabbit ears from Radio Shack. One is powered and one is not. Already have bunches of RG6 coax, connectors, diplexers, and Holland splitters in stock left over from my satellite project. So I can try out just about anything. Will get this UHF signal issue resolved. I hope, LOL.

Well, you cannot blame the transformer. I would try to extend the coax cable with the UHF antenna as close as you can towards the location where you have the poor remote performance.

Well, that didn't work too well. I already extended it about six feet from the DVR and the remote still wouldn't work properly until about five feet from the antenna. I just got done doing some extensive testing that I started yesterday. From what I have kinda thought for a while now, I have determined the 722k in the bedroom UHF system is defective. I tried the two splitter method to locate the antenna at TV2. Got it working but the UHF remote had to be about 10 inches from the antenna. I had bypassed all the splitters, two way switch, and amp. So I rigged up the 722 DVR in the kitchen (TV1) the same method with the UHF antenna ending up in the bedroom (TV2). OMG, it worked real good from the garage. Very little sluggish. So put the bedroom 722k DVR back together with the six foot coax extension and it acted as before. Had to be within 5 to 10 feet from the antenna for the RF remote to work. This is the same DVR that has worked good from the garage for the last 3 years and then started to get sluggish about six months or so. So I am going to call Dish next week and get it replaced. Hope they take my word for it and not have to send a technician.

upsss, I did all this two splitter UHF antenna method testing running with TV1 modulator signal straight to TV2 bypassing everything on the headend board. When I got done testing the kitchen DVR and determined it worked great, I back tracked and started to connect all the components on the board one at a time to see if it worked going thru all that stuff. Started with the 12-port splitter and worked thru all items one a time. Bottom line is the amp the only thing in the system that would not let it the two splitter method work. I guess the signals would only travel one direction. The UHF signal could not travel back to the DVR.

Also, on the issue of the Samsung TV causing interference with the UHF remote, got it conquered. Moved the UHF antenna attached to about six foot coax to a higher up position. The RF remote was much improved using it in the garage. Attached rabbit ears I got from Radio Shack and it was working even better yet. Then I tried out the powered rabbit ears from Radio Shack. OMG, the remote works awesome in the garage now. I didn't even have the amp plugged in. So plugged in the amp and I could use the remote outside the garage and in the street. Really works great. I decided just to leave the amp unplugged and also keep the attenuator installed and I am a happy camper now with the TV in the garage. The powered rabbit ears UHF antenna is much bigger and thicker than the non powered rabbit ears. I tried both rabbit ears in the bedroom DVR that the UHF is sluggish and the RF remote would not even work at all with both rabbit ears. Going to take the non powered rabbit ears back to Radio Shack and trade them for another powered one to put in the bedroom.

Thanks for your help upsss and everyone else who contributed.

upsss, I did all this two splitter UHF antenna method testing running with TV1 modulator signal straight to TV2 bypassing everything on the headend board. When I got done testing the kitchen DVR and determined it worked great, I back tracked and started to connect all the components on the board one at a time to see if it worked going thru all that stuff. Started with the 12-port splitter and worked thru all items one a time. Bottom line is the amp the only thing in the system that would not let it the two splitter method work. I guess the signals would only travel one direction. The UHF signal could not travel back to the DVR.
I am glad that you figured out the problem. I am still a little confused by your setup and that is the reason it would be nice to see an actual schematic of your setup.

As far as your amplifier, I think I see two amplifiers on your board. One at the top center of the board above the Cable/Mod switch and the 2nd, a gray plastic box with the two 3 way splitters which I don't know the purpose of it. You are correct, these amplifiers are unidirectional and they would block any signal feeding backwards. However, I don't see how did you wired the 2 additional splitters with the remote UHF antenna that it would happen. BTW, if you added the attenuator to the remote UHF antenna as shown on the drawing, try to remove the attenuator and use a regular UHF antenna. It should work fine without a powered UHF antenna.

I am glad that you figured out the problem. I am still a little confused by your setup and that is the reason it would be nice to see an actual schematic of your setup.

As far as your amplifier, I think I see two amplifiers on your board. One at the top center of the board above the Cable/Mod switch and the 2nd, a gray plastic box with the two 3 way splitters which I don't know the purpose of it. You are correct, these amplifiers are unidirectional and they would block any signal feeding backwards. However, I don't see how did you wired the 2 additional splitters with the remote UHF antenna that it would happen. BTW, if you added the attenuator to the remote UHF antenna as shown on the drawing, try to remove the attenuator and use a regular UHF antenna. It should work fine without a powered UHF antenna.

The top center amp is receiving signal from the two way switch, cable company service is A and modulated out B. Modulated out is from greatroom, kitchen, and master bedroom from the backwards 3-way splitter just to the right of the two way switch. From the amp signal goes to the 12 port splitter. The splitter sends out signal cable or modulated to all TVs including the TVs that have DVRs. The coax is connected to the TVs RF port. The right upper kinda yellow box is the OTA amp. OTA antenna is in the attic. The OTA three way splitter goes to greatroom, kitchen, and master bedroom. When I did the two splitter test I completely bypassed the mod splitter, two way switch, mod amp, and 12 port splitter. The way I did that was I disconnected the bedroom mod coax from the backwards mod 3 way splitter and disconnected the greatroom 12 port coax and barreled the two together with a jumper coax. So that way the bedroom mod out signal was going straight to the greatroom TV RF port. The upper right gray box is an 8 way Cisco Cat Splitter.

I have decided not to do the 2 splitter method because of the mod amp above the 2 way switch not letting the UHF antenna signal go thru. I am really impressed with these cheap Radio Shack rabbit ears. They really worked pretty good. Especially the powered one.

Have you tried to click on the pic a couple times to blow it up? Here are some better pics. They are four years old. Have added a garage TV is about all that changed. Maybe you can tell a little better how the coax flows.

Attachments

• DSC02256.JPG
    DSC02256.JPG
    353.4 KB · Views: 126
  • DSC02265.JPG
    DSC02265.JPG
    334.3 KB · Views: 113
  • DSC02257.JPG
    DSC02257.JPG
    333.8 KB · Views: 105
  • DSC02258.JPG
    DSC02258.JPG
    332.4 KB · Views: 90
  • DSC02262.JPG
    DSC02262.JPG
    374.4 KB · Views: 89
  • DSC02264.JPG
    DSC02264.JPG
    383.6 KB · Views: 108
charlesrshell, thanks for the details and the new pictures, again its great. Have a Marry Christmas!

charlesrshell, thanks for the details and the new pictures, again its great. Have a Marry Christmas!

Thank you too for all your help. Hope the additional pics helped you understand it a little better. Will have to work on that equipment details diagram sometime. Hope yall have a Merry Christmas too.

charlesrshell, to draw the wiring diagram you can use the MS Visio software, it will be a nice project. I am sure you can find a free trial version of it or some Open Source version.

charlesrshell, to draw the wiring diagram you can use the MS Visio software, it will be a nice project. I am sure you can find a free trial version of it or some Open Source version.

I will look into that and I think Power Point might work too but I am not to familiar with it. I have bunches of projects to clear up so it will be a while. Not going to call Dish till Monday about that UHF issue with that 722k in the bedroom. Sure learned bunches trouble shooting that problem. Maybe Dish Tech folks now of something I can do to get it working right. It is kinda intermittent too.

Got all my UHF issues cleared up. The 722k that was giving me the biggest headache was replaced. It is working great now from the garage. The old 722k definitely had weak UHF issues. I went ahead and installed rabbit ears with it and the UHF remote doesn't miss a beat. The 722k by the Samsung TV is still working great. Have rabbit ears installed with it too and set high and away from the TV. Did not have to change any settings in the TV. The 722 in kitchen is still working great with the little UHF pole antenna attached to the back of the DVR. Not using any attenuators. The backward 2-way splitter method is a good system to use but if you have an amp in the home distribution it will not work depending where it is installed. Thanks to all for helping to resolve this issue. Learned a lot and almost have a wiring distribution diagram completed.

remote 2 near complete failure

My setup for my new 722 system: TV1 is downstairs and TV2 is upstairs. The remote for TV2 only works in certain areas upstairs and makes changing channels difficult. The installer assumed that the walls of my "well built house" was causing problems with the UHF signal. He moved the TV2 antenna upstairs but the splitter caused too much of a signal loss. I've done my own experimenting and have determined that my Samsung LCD TV, TV1, is the problem. When it's turned off, the TV2 remote works perfectly. The antenna on the back of the Dish receiver is right next to this TV. So should I extend the antenna with coax so it's a couple of feet higher than the TV, get an attenuator, or is there another preferred way to do this?

My tech left yesterday after replacing my 722. we had no remote 2 capability unless you put the remote against the antenna. Not a good situation. We moved the antenna to the location of tv2, but you still have to put the remote next to the antenna. the remote 2 that came with the new system does not work at all, I am using an older remote I bought. both remotes (old and new) are tuned to the same program channel (14, tech chose). Any suggestions?

Try programming the remote to address 13 or another ODD remote address number and see if that will help. Changing the bands (odd/even) usually will cut through most interference.

@charlesshrell - do you remember what address you had your old 722 TV2 remote programmed to when it wasn't working? If you do remember, what was that number and what number is your new TV2 remote programmed to?

forestshopkeeper, after extensive trouble shooting I determined the UHF remote antenna port on one of my 722ks went defective. It was doing the same exact thing yours is doing. I would have to put the remote about two inches from the antenna to get it to work. I called Dish up and explained it all to them and they sent me another DVR. Maybe you got my old 722k. Send me a PM and I will give you the old serial number of the DVR to compare. I keep up with all my DVRs on a spreadsheet. I don't think the serial numbers change but they might.

lucky86, I have all my TV2 remotes set on UHF Band B. Channels 2 and 6 on the two 722ks. Channels 4 and 8 on the two 722s. When I was having all the troubles, all TV2 remotes were on UHF Band A, same channel numbers. Changing from Band A to Band B helped improve the remotes but not all that much. When I had all the troubles I bought two Radio Shack Indoor Amplified HDTV Antennas and installed them on both 722ks to help me troubleshoot. I was so impressed how they improved the distance and response when I pressed the buttons I kept them installed.

Ok cool. Thats what I was getting at. I was curious as to whether or not you changed the band prior to getting a replacement. I thought MAYBE the replacement wasn't the fix but it was just a matter of the band being changed on the new receiver.

Ok cool. Thats what I was getting at. I was curious as to whether or not you changed the band prior to getting a replacement. I thought MAYBE the replacement wasn't the fix but it was just a matter of the band being changed on the new receiver.

Yep, before I got the replacement 722k I tried a combo of everything. Different Bands, channel settings, new UHF dipole antennas, attenuators, new and old remotes, etc. Bottom line was a defective 722k.

How can I trouble shoot the port where the antenna plugs in? Before the new 722K was installed, I did have remote 2 capability with the antenna plugged in behind the receiver. Now the new remotes don't work at all, even right next to the antenna, and the old remote works but has to be two inches away. Do I need to get them to send a tech again with another 722K?

How can I trouble shoot the port where the antenna plugs in? Before the new 722K was installed, I did have remote 2 capability with the antenna plugged in behind the receiver. Now the new remotes don't work at all, even right next to the antenna, and the old remote works but has to be two inches away. Do I need to get them to send a tech again with another 722K?

Bring up system info at TV 1 and what is the secondary remote address number displayed? If its an odd number, change it to an even number or vice versa. Here are the steps

Bring up system info at TV1 and perform these steps with the TV2 remote from TV1 location.

Press and hold sat buttons till all mode lights flash, release sat.

Type in the address you want, 1-31 (I believe) odd / even

Press then # then press Record once or twice until the secondary address changes.

Changing the frequency band like this may correct the problem.

that is not the problem. Have done all that and nothing makes a difference. remote must be less than 2 inches from antenna. How can I tell if the port on the receiver has a problem? I don't think I have an interference problem in the house. Previous 722 worked fine.

that is not the problem. Have done all that and nothing makes a difference. remote must be less than 2 inches from antenna. How can I tell if the port on the receiver has a problem? I don't think I have an interference problem in the house. Previous 722 worked fine.

I think you need another DVR. Call Dish TV and tell them the issue and what you have done to troubleshoot.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)