TV 1 interfering with UHF antenna for TV 2

The third DVR in the master bedroom is the one that really has me stumped. With a six foot coax and the little UHF antenna attached it still does not work very well until I put the RF remote within 5 feet or so direct line of sight. That's the one I really need to get working better. Thanks again for your help.

It is possible that your TV in the master bedroom is interfering with the UHF remote. Is the remote working better if you turn off the master bedroom TV? If it does, then you would know for sure that the interference comes from that TV.

What dvr do you have in the bedroom? How is it hooked to the TV? Usually the main TV is controlled by an IR remote and if it's a duo dvr, it's TV2 that's controlled by the uhf remote when you are in duo mode.

TV in bedroom is a 50" Panasonic plasma connected by HDMI to a 722k. Signal is weak with TV on or off. Remote is a 21.0 Pro, address is set to 4 so it is on B band. I have the UHF antenna connected on the back of the DVR right now. When I connect a six foot coax to the DVR with the UHF antenna attached it seems to not work as well. It is not working too bad right now in the greatroom, but it is not working at all in the garage. Up to about six months ago it worked have way decent in the garage. Not super good, but kinda liveable. upsss, what about that electric transformer that is in my yard? Could that be causing the UHF interference? It is about 30 feet from where I sit in the garage.

upsss, what about that electric transformer that is in my yard? Could that be causing the UHF interference? It is about 30 feet from where I sit in the garage.

Under normal condition it should not cause any problems, however if somewhere there is a loose/intermittent connection, you end up having an old fashion "spark gap transmitter".

Don't understand what you are saying.

Apparently the remote sends out both IR and UHF signals. Try this. Press the System Info button on the receiver. Point the remote at the receiver. Press and release the Sat button then press and release the Record button. See if the remote now can control the receiver.

Would that cause interference with the RF remotes?
Most definitely could. Here is a simply way to verify if you are getting any broadband RF interference from your transformers. Get a battery powered AM transistor radio. Tune the radio to a station at about 50 yards from the transformer and start walking toward it. If your radio station is getting swamped with noise as you get closer to the transformer, it would be a clear indication of broadband RF interference. At very close distance to the transformer, some interference would probably be normal, depends how well it is shielded.

Apparently the remote sends out both IR and UHF signals. Try this. Press the System Info button on the receiver. Point the remote at the receiver. Press and release the Sat button then press and release the Record button. See if the remote now can control the receiver.

dwarren2, I would think if the remote is sending out both IR and RF when it is set to UHF are defective. But who knows for sure. When I check the system info screen all DVR settings are correct and the remotes are correct. Attached are two spreadsheets of info on my remote’s addresses. I have spreadsheets of everything in my satellite setup, including the length of all coax and ground wires. The only thing I don’t have documented is a wiring diagram of all my equipment that upsss would like to see. Someday when I have time I will have to work on that too. It is a good idea to have that diagram for situations like this and folks are trying to help resolve issues.

Anyway, I double checked all three DVR’s settings that are connected to my home distribution with coax coming out the DVR home distribution port and they are correct. A fourth DVR in my kid’s room home distribution port is not connected. I do have the home distribution signal piped in to his 722 DVR diplexed with the satellite signal from the 12-port splitter. Here are the settings for the three DVRs. All three DVRs are set to single mode on the front panel. I never use TV2 mode unless we have company. Then I change one of the DVRs to TV2 (dual mode) so they can watch all channels. All three DVRs Modular Setup (menu 6-1-5) are set TV1 Out is Off, TV2 Out is Cable, and Connection is set to Home Distribution with the exception of a 722 DVR in which the connection button is grayed out. Greatroom 722k TV2 out is set on channel 80. Kitchen 722 TV2 out is set to 85, and Master bedroom 722k TV2 is set on channel 90. All three DVRs Shared View (menu 6-2) are set to Enable View. Again, everything is correct in the System Info menu. With this info and the two attachments you can see how they are set up. All TV1 and TV2 remotes work as they should with the exception of the Master bedroom which is sluggish. If there is something you see I should change and try out let me know.

I did discover something that I will post in a little while that might be part of the problem.

Attachments

• Remote Control Address.xls
    15 KB · Views: 129
  • TV2 Remote Control Address.xls
    17 KB · Views: 176
Most definitely could. Here is a simply way to verify if you are getting any broadband RF interference from your transformers. Get a battery powered AM transistor radio. Tune the radio to a station at about 50 yards from the transformer and start walking toward it. If your radio station is getting swamped with noise as you get closer to the transformer, it would be a clear indication of broadband RF interference. At very close distance to the transformer, some interference would probably be normal, depends how well it is shielded.

WOW, I think my mother-n-law has one them there radios. Will try to borrow it this week and check out that transformer.

WOW, I think my mother-n-law has one them there radios. Will try to borrow it this week and check out that transformer.
ANY battery powered AM radio would do. I must be revealing my age, that is what we used to call it in the stone age, "Transistor Radio", all radios today use transistors.

Last edited:
In the garage I use a TV2 UHF 21.0 remote to watch TV. Sometimes I will use the same remote to watch two other DVRs from the garage by switching the remote address and change the TV channel to that DVR’s set modulated channel number. The DVR in the master bedroom is farther away than the other two DVRs. So when I watch that DVR in the garage it is real sluggish. I grabbed one of my 6.3 Pro remotes and changed the batteries in it and the 21.0, set both addresses for the DVR in the bedroom and then tested them for a while in the garage. To my surprise the 6.3 Pro works much better than the 21.0. So I got the other three 21.0s I have changed the batteries, set the address to the DVR in the bedroom and tested all four 21.0s and the 6.3 remotes from the garage for about an hour. The 6.3 seems to work much better than all the 21.0s. Still not at the level I wish it would perform but at least better. Has anyone come across this before? Do 6.3 Pro remotes have a more powerful UHF signal than the 21.0?

ANY battery powered AM radio would do. I must be revealing my age, that is what we used to call it in the stone age, "Transistor Radio", all radios today use transistors.

LOL, I hear ya. I hope my mother-n-law has one. I don't think they sell them anymore.

Has anyone tried out powered rabbit ears attached to coax for the UHF remote antenna? I think I read in another thread that it would not work. The rabbit ears I am trying out now on one of my DVRs sure is working better now for the UHF remote. I was just wondering if powered rabbit ears would work better.

Do you mean LED TVs? How do you turn it off?
Both. It would be somewhere in your picture settings menu. Also, auto room brightness. Easy test is to turn off TV, then change sat channel. Turn on TV. If channel has changed, there's the proof.

Both. It would be somewhere in your picture settings menu. Also, auto room brightness. Easy test is to turn off TV, then change sat channel. Turn on TV. If channel has changed, there's the proof.

OK thanks. Will try it out when the commander of the war department is not watching TV!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)