TV Audio Problem

HipKat

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Aug 25, 2017
Pekin, IL
My buddy was on a job today, Joey on a Phillips TV. If you turn the TV off and back on, you lose Audio. Only pulling and replacing the HDMI cable fixes it. If you turn the Joey off and back on, no Problem. He tried adjust Joey's audio settings, TV Audio settings, even resolution, but no luck.
Any ideas?

Maybe set the audio from Dolby Digital to PCM in the Joey settings... if possible (no idea what the settings are on newer equipment).

The Phillips TV sounds like an HDCP negotiation problem. Pulling the HDMI Cable forces a re-negotiation, power cycling doesn't always fix this. If a new cable doesn't fix it you are pretty much SOL.

Reactions: HipKat
The Phillips TV sounds like an HDCP negotiation problem. Pulling the HDMI Cable forces a re-negotiation, power cycling doesn't always fix this. If a new cable doesn't fix it you are pretty much SOL.
That makes good sense. I'll pass that on, Thanks!

I have a Hopper3 connected to my TV with a HDMI cable and the TV connected to the AVR with optical cable. The Hopper is connected to the AVR with optical cable.
If I select the TV input on The DVR the TV will not send sound to the AVR. It works fine when I select the Hopper input on the AVR.
The reason for this post is that with the old Dish receiver, if I selected the TV input on the AVR I got sound through the speakers connected to the AVR but not with the Hopper.
If I select the antenna input on the TV, the TV will send sound to the AVR when the TV input is selected on the AVR.
The TV is connected to the Hopper with the same HDMI cable as the old Dish receiver was.
Any ideas as to why the Hopper sound will not go to the AVR when TV input is selected on the AVR?

The digital output on TVs was only supposed to be for the TV's tuner, not passthrough from HDMI. Why it worked with your old Dish receiver though, I have no idea. But since you have your Hopper connected to the AVR anyway, why does it matter?

Thanks,
It does not matter, just curious as to why it does not work on the Hopper but it did on the old non DVR receiver..
I read somewhere on here that with the ota antenna on the Hopper, the ota channels will still work in a rain storm.
Also I can select the antenna on the TV, bypass the Hopper and hear the sound through the AVR.

The digital output on TVs was only supposed to be for the TV's tuner, not passthrough from HDMI.

Just curious what makes you say that. I've never had a TV with digital audio out that didn't pass through audio from what ever source was selected, albeit sometimes only 2-channel stereo, depending on the TV.

Reactions: TheKrell
Just curious what makes you say that. I've never had a TV with digital audio out that didn't pass through audio from what ever source was selected, albeit sometimes only 2-channel stereo, depending on the TV.
I agree 100%. My Vizio doesn't even have a TV tuner and I get perfect sound out of the digital audio out (optical audio) when I choose to use it that way. All of the inputs to the Vizio are HDMI...

My new ONKYO AVR allow the same HDMI cable to work both ways between the TV and AVR. The Amazon Prime and Netflix I watch on the TV send 5.1 audio to the AVR over the same HDMI cable that the H3 receiver and Blu-Ray DVR send video to the TV.

Back in the day, everybody on the video forums was saying that TVs weren't supposed to be passing through audio from HDMI to optical. Something about bypassing HDCP I guess. But I definitely remember hearing about TVs that wouldn't do it. It does seem nonsensical since there's no lack of bootlegging still going on regardless of HDCP, so maybe manufacturers quit caring about it? I really don't know.

Reactions: HipKat and TheKrell
Back in the day, everybody on the video forums was saying that TVs weren't supposed to be passing through audio from HDMI to optical. Something about bypassing HDCP I guess. But I definitely remember hearing about TVs that wouldn't do it. It does seem nonsensical since there's no lack of bootlegging still going on regardless of HDCP, so maybe manufacturers quit caring about it? I really don't know.

OK. I had just never heard that before. After thinking about it, I do recall some TVs not doing passthrough, but they were the Black Friday doorbuster specials which had functionality removed to meet a price point.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)