TV Calibration

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

cajun_100

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jun 1, 2004
Can professionally calibrating a TV really make a big difference? Is there a big difference in the DVD calibration videos and having it professionally calibrated?

I did mine through AVIA and Video Essentials and thought my setup looked great. That was until I had Gregg Loewen come in and work his magic. I was and AM amazed how good my picture is now. (Even my wife was amazed and she is one of those women who thinks that TV is just pictures and words) :D

Check out his homepage at http://www.lionav.com/

Cool. Thanks for the info. I will check them out. It looks like they have a person in my area. Do you have Voom through DVI and if so did Gregg calibrate that input as well?

There is a big difference between 'tweaking' the display with Avia or DVE, and a professional calibration. The calibration is done in the service menu for your particular display. Most displays 'out of the box' are calibrated to be too bright, therefore they run 'hot' at higher than 6500 Kelvin. By getting the display calibrated correctly, you can prolong the life of your display.

After professional calibration, you can always go to the user menus and adjust to your liking using Avia or DVE. A lot of people get put off by the price of a calibration--I know I didn't want to spend $500 as I was originally quoted. When the price came down to $250, it was worth it for me.

Whole thread...

There's a whole thread on this topic. I don't have the link but just search on calibration.

The Rickster