TV decision

Sounds like the color wheel or possibly one of the internal cooling fans. ShopJimmy lists that for $80 but is out-of-stock. Expect to replace the DMD as well when you start seeing white/black dots. That lists for $75. Looks like the fans are $20. If you can assemble a computer from parts, you can do pretty-much all of the maintenance on these DLP sets.

I have a Mitsubishi DLP and plan to keep it running until I can pick up a 4K TV on the cheap.

I'd hold off on buying ANY new TV until HDMI 2.0 and/or DisplayPort >1.2 becames standard on TV sets.

I'm not even sure ShopJimmy will be around much longer. That company is a mess.

I guess its a waiting game now. I will just have to see what the 4k's look like later this year. Hopefully my DLP will hold out for a while longer.

I've never been a fan of Plasma---until recently---but I've been looking at a 60" Panny since I haven't been too terribly happy with the LED/LCD sets the the past couple years, and the 4K appears to be year or two away from being right priced IMO...and we won't ever go into OLED. I'll either picked-up a Panny on clearance, if I can find one, or wait a year.

I talked with Chris today as well, the Panny's are about gone and they are gouging now. Might not get another chance. He does have a good deal on this:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BCPGZOM/?tag=satell01-20

And this:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BCPGZB0/?tag=satell01-20

The Samsung blacks are equal to about 2011 Panasonic, which aint bad at all, but they generally have better video processing and a "sharper" image. Something Samsung does makes theirs look less like a plasma and gives them a little more edge to the image like an LCD. Panny has a little more "soft" image.

I would no longer get a Panny Plasma. Yes I know they have a good picture, but 4k is coming soon. I would probably wait a year and get a 4k set, by then they should have the HDMI 2.0 and most the other issues worked out.

I agree. Im kinda over the thought of 4K on a normal sized flat panel anyways. IMO, 4K on a FP with a large screen is where its at. Also need BDA to get the standard finalized so people cant start making players for the larger sized discs.

I've found myself more agitated with audio lately than video. I was never an audio person, but once I bought these Klipsch speakers and 15" sub, it just snowballed. Now that Ive got the amp and new avr, i get irritated when blu-rays do not have good audio tracks LOL.

We must be looking at different amazon.coms. The one I'm looking at lists five 60" VT60s and nine 65" VT60s as available.

Nope, Amazon.com has NONE for sale. As I said before, Im not willing to pay more than MSRP from a third-party seller that I have never heard of.

What do yall think of the Samsung UN60F8000? I can fit that 60" because it has almost no bezel. Abe's of Maine has it for $1969 shipped.

I did a lot of reading on it, great set with good blacks. Samsung video processing is always very good and it has outstanding motion resolution without using frame interpolation. Clear scan is their scanning back light feature and I think itll do 1200 lines which is outstanding.

They also have a cinema black mode which is for letterbox movies, it actually shuts off the led's on the bottom and top which is ingenious for a dark room movie.

I almost walked out of a Best Buy yesterday with a Samsung UN55F9000. I came home and did a little more research. I have decided to wait for the Samsung 60U8550... a 60" 4k flat (as opposed to the U9000, which is curved). Hopefully it will be out in the next few months.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)