TV/Receiver Comes On After Update

Status
Please reply by conversation.

JusJim

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 4, 2007
Our TV and receiver has started "coming on" in the middle of the night. I'm pretty sure that I've narrowed it down to the nights in which the receiver is upgrading. Is there some sort of setting that we've erroneously "set" which is causing this or what's going on.

As I said I think this is on the nights that we're getting a receiver upgrade....the reason I think this is because we like to keep out playlist alphabetized, and a couple times a week we have to go in and reset it to be in alphabetical order. I've always assumed that it resets to the factory default (listed in order of when something records) after it does an upgrade.

Which that leads me to a second question I guess. Is this normal, that it resets the playlist, or should the playlist be staying to the alphabetical listing that we have it set for? Is there a way to make this stop "re-setting"?

Our TV and receiver has started "coming on" in the middle of the night. I'm pretty sure that I've narrowed it down to the nights in which the receiver is upgrading. Is there some sort of setting that we've erroneously "set" which is causing this or what's going on.

As I said I think this is on the nights that we're getting a receiver upgrade....the reason I think this is because we like to keep out playlist alphabetized, and a couple times a week we have to go in and reset it to be in alphabetical order. I've always assumed that it resets to the factory default (listed in order of when something records) after it does an upgrade.

Which that leads me to a second question I guess. Is this normal, that it resets the playlist, or should the playlist be staying to the alphabetical listing that we have it set for? Is there a way to make this stop "re-setting"?

As for the TV and Recvr turning ON ...

The RECVR Will turn on when it has done a reboot/ upgrade, however, your TV turning on is ODD ... that shouldn't happen.

You can set the Recording Playlist is various order ...
Go to Recordings, hit the Yellow button, Select Change order of Playlist, from there you should be able to set it the way you want, and No it shouldn't change when you record something.

Btw, what recvr are you having issues with ?

The receiver is the HR34-700, which is about a year old.

I know how to set the playlist, but it never stays the way I want it. Every couple of days I have to go back in and reset it to "alphabetical".

Just a note....we control both, the receiver and TV with the remote that came with the receiver. We just have to push the on button and both come on, and then push the off button and both go off. When we turn things off at night we usually try to notice and make sure that the lights on the TV and the receiver have both went off. As far as I know the TV IS NOT staying on.

Maybe there is a setting for the TV that makes it turn on when an input goes active.
Like when the DVR reboots.

Take note of the software version and then check it again after the reboot.

The list order will reset after a power cycle as well. I'm pretty sure it is not receiving upgrades multiple times a week (my 34 last took a software update when it was installed about 2 weeks ago and none since).

Do as jdspencer says and check settings for the TV, note/track the software version and I'll also suggest checking the receiver settings. Modern versions of both have features (HDMI CEC) that can power other devices on when it detects power on one.

Finally, it doesn't sound like it if it's coming on by itself at night, but do you have a "smart" power strip or are you cutting power to the devices somehow?

Status
Please reply by conversation.