TV Recommendation

eddieras

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 10, 2007
ok - i'm finally upgraded my rca f38310 tv - served me well! what do you guys recommend - i'm a huge hockey nut - center ice - i've read that plasmas are better for fast moving images-- but lcd's are better in bright rooms.
just curious what the average hockey fan uses...

thanks - are talking lcd with LED backlighting or edge lighting? any specific model / brand you'd recommend?

Just generally speaking...

If you are used to "tube" TV viewing, you may find plasma more "normal" looking. The colors of a plasma more closely resemble a "tube". I would recommend that you get an Energy Star model.

I agree on the LED flat screen over LCD comment. The LED is the newest tech and looks better ( IMO ) than LCD.

If you want size, you can get an inexpensive DLP screen that is fairly large. I bought a Samsung 67" DLP with an LED engine for about $1800. Might not work as well for sports, but I watch mostly movies.

Another consideration is your other devices. If you connect like brands ( Samsung TV and Samsung Blu-ray), they will 'talk' to each other. The HDMI carries a signal that will turn on your TV and switch to the Blu-ray input automatically. My kids can easily put on a movie with this. :)

If you're going to get an LED you might as well just get a plasma. If the reason you aren't going with a Plasma is the glare issue, I hope you realize LEDs have the same problem. LED TVs screens are pretty reflective. The best picture for the price right now is Plasma.

I would go with Panasonic. I am a nut when it comes to this stuff and I follow the brands every week. I have 2 in my house and am greatly pleased with them. If you look at the reviews online Panasonic tends to get the best in most classes. I am a big plasma fan, better at sports and fast moving scenes. My refresh rate is 600hz on my 50" plasma. Also the Panasonic's have good sound. Almost all LED tv's sound like crap because of there small speakers, so you will need surrond or a sound bar for them. I have a Panasonic blu ray player and they pair great together with viera link, only need 1 remote. You change it to blu ray and it auto powers up and is ready. Good luck!

You can't go wrong with Samsung in my opinion, particularly the series 6, but your eyes will tell you which is the "one." Go to a store like Best Buy so you can see a large variety of TVs next to each other. I think most people end up preferring the picture of a certain make best.

Blacks

There is still nothing that can do blacks better than a plasma. I have Panny Plasma & they are great. LED's are bright but pricey and I can't see how LCD's are anything but 3rd place.

whatchel1 said:
There is still nothing that can do blacks better than a plasma. I have Panny Plasma & they are great. LED's are bright but pricey and I can't see how LCD's are anything but 3rd place.

I agree, but I have two samsung lcd's... And properly calibrated (by me, not the rip off artist), they look great.

Other than the fact that I have a model that had defective caps that I will eventually have to replace, I love them. You really can't go wrong with either of the three. I would, however, look for a smart model that has netflix streaming integrated.

My apologies for typing errors. I had my gallbladder removed today and am hurting. Trying to use sat guys to distract me from the pain.

Another important thing is calibration. I have a cheap Vizio 37" 720p. I was happy with it. Found a couple calibrations online. They were better. Then found another and I have been ridiculously pleased with my < $500 TV.

Yes, there are better TV's, but how much better, for how much more?

DLP's are great for the money but the off angle viewing is the worst of any TV. I would only put one of those TVs i a dark room.

thanks guys - i'm looking at vizios at sams too - what do you guys think of the LCD - LED backlighting?

If I had to replace my tv today I would get the mitsubishi 73" dlp . Its 1080p 120hz 3d ready has 4 hdmi inputs and it's huge for as low as $1600. The 82" version is just over 3 grand. Better blacks than lcd, dollar for dollar best deal!

I would never get a Mitsu dlp again. I bought one back in 04. Luckily I got a 5 year service plan. The bulb had to be replaced several times. Then one of the boards had to be replaced. Then last fall just before the plan expired I got the green blinking eye of death. The chassis was sent back to Mitsu for a rebuild. I got it back a month later. Within 3 weeks, with very little use, it died again. Again it was sent back to Mitsu. When I got it back, it lasted less than 3 weeks. This time I talked Mitsu into giving me $645 store credit where I bought the set. The problems with Mitsu dlp's has been extensively discussed at avsforum.com.

Yes, our TV repairman tells me never to sell Mits TVs. DLPs no matter what brand will need the lamp replaced every so many years no matter what. That's a good $200 everytime.

Also, be careful where you buy your TV from. I would never get any large purchase at a Sam's Club or Walmart. Why not buy from someone who can service and handle warranty?

We had replaced the Mitsu as our primary hdtv in March of 08 with a 52 inch Samsung LCD. The Mitsu had been moved to the downstairs "family room".

I have all kinds of TV's I just bought another plasma LG 50" I can not wait to get it. I personally tink plasma ha gooten better. You wont go wrong with a plasma in color.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts