tv tuner card for direct tv

Status
Please reply by conversation.

bones79

Original poster
Apr 5, 2011
tennessee
i want to purchase a tv tuner card for my laptop but dont know what i should get. i have direct tv but dont know which one will work. can you give me some ideas on what to get?

I think any TV tuner card will work, I have an ATI one, not sure model number.

But you just need the right equipment. You need the tuner card, a receiver, i believe the HD ones are the ones that work, atleast thats what works for me.

Then you need this little device that u put over the IR sensor on the receiver.

You know what would be cool?

If DirecTV had a virtual receiver which would act as a normal receiver just for online and smartphone/tablet viewing. They could charge an extra receiver ($6) fee.

I bet that would really hurt SlingPlayer and Dish Network. It would be cool then, to integrate that virtual receiver with whole home DVR service at home to access recorded shows.

i recomend slingbox hd....you can watch it anywhere in the world and you get a virual remote just like your direct tv one....i use it when i go to the cottage to watch my favourite dvr shows.....

You know what would be cool?

If DirecTV had a virtual receiver which would act as a normal receiver just for online and smartphone/tablet viewing. They could charge an extra receiver ($6) fee.

I bet that would really hurt SlingPlayer and Dish Network. It would be cool then, to integrate that virtual receiver with whole home DVR service at home to access recorded shows.

Don't give them any more ideas about charging more , a virtual recvr is NOT a recvr and doesn't deserve a $ 6 fee...

i recomend slingbox hd....you can watch it anywhere in the world and you get a virual remote just like your direct tv one....i use it when i go to the cottage to watch my favourite dvr shows.....

Anywhere inn the world ?

Anywhere you have capable INTERNET service.

If you want to watch TV on a computer and have a decent internet connection I recommend USTVnow - Watch Live American TV Shows Online . It is a subscription service. No contract or special equipment required. You pay your money, just like with a cable company, and choose the package you want. You then can watch American TV anywhere in the world. Monthly plans start at around $49.

While I have a SlingBox and it works well and I use it to watch my Dish channels while I'm on my home network. The problem with a SlingBox when you are traveling is you need someone that is technically savy at you home location to tend your receiver, SlingBox and router if there are any glitches with the equipment and adjustments, reboots or resets are needed.

There also are commercial SlingBox type services where you sign you up for a subscription with a cable company including a DVR converter if you are willing to pay for it. The company then attaches a SlingBox to your cable converter and installs your equipment in a rack at their facility. You then can watch your cable subscription anywhere you have an internet connection. By using a commercial SlingBox service you have somebody available to call 24/7 when you have a technical problem. The downside is that the last time I looked the least expensive monthly plan was $99.

Jim

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts