TV2 Downconversion

supergallant4

Original poster
Nov 8, 2011
Illinois
I have a VIP722 dvr and just got a new HD set for the second room. Now I have two HDTV's - one with a great picture and one with a not so great one. Does anyone know if Dish is ever going to uprgade their receivers so that the TV2 output generates a Hd feed? A lot of people (like myself) are upgrading to new HD sets and it would be nice if the duo tuners wouldn't downconvert the second feed to SD. I seems to me that the upgrade could be accomplished via firmware. If not, is there a way to purchase a receiver (from another manufacturer) that provides TWO independent HD feeds and works with the Dish Network dual LNB?

Unless you wait (and wait) for the 813 whole home receiver, a possible alternative if you only need one HD channel at a time is to use the HDMI signal on one and 5-cable component on the other or use an HDMI splitter. If you need independent HD feeds then you should consider the 211 with or without a ($39 extra) disk or a more expensive VIP612.
-Ken

And also note it's more than just software involved to give a TV2 HD output... Both TV2 outputs on the back are SD. There is one and only one way to get HD out of TV2, and that is using the Sling Adpater. The problem with the Sling Adapter is that there is no target available, such as a Slingcatcher, capable of catching the stream and displaying it on an HDTV other than a fairly racy PC.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)