TVAnswerman Has AT&T Predictions For 2020

The subscriber loss would be insane if they dropped Sunday ticket.

Bars have turned Sunday ticket into a business. Sure they may pay $5000 for the package, but they make 4 times in revenue with the extra traffic it generates on Sunday.
what bar will pay $5000 year + $1000-$1500/mo (3 years locked in) just for good internet and you need to buy your own switches + tv boxes and other hardware as well.

what bar will pay $5000 year + $1000-$1500/mo (3 years locked in) just for good internet and you need to buy your own switches + tv boxes and other hardware as well.

1g from Comcast is only $240 a month and Rokus are not that expensive.

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

I agree with NashGuy. I could see AT&T keeping exclusive satellite rights and adding on exclusive streaming rights through their AT&T TV service. Satellite for rural areas and bars, streaming for those that can’t have a dish. :)

Time to go back to C-Band, many bars still have their C-Band dish. Just need a 3rd party to start offering some commercial C-Band service again...

Thing is, the people that live outside the reach of cable and fiber thus need satellite as the only TV option other than OTA tend to have lower credit than those snobs that live in fiberhoods...

I’m sure you meant no offense, but I think it’s a fallacy to say that rural people ‘tend to have lower credit scores.’

I think if you researched you’d find in many parts of the country the opposite to be true.

Also, I live way out in the country, the ‘woods’ almost, with four or five houses on a 3 mile road, and I have 1 gig fiber to the home.

Now, that is the exception to the rule, however, all people that live in rural areas aren’t uneducated and poor, or lack access to ‘modern’ services and conveniences.

I’m sure you didn’t necessarily mean that in your comment, unfortunately, it is a stereotype just like any other, same as those about ethic or gender groups for example.

People lived without internet or tv for thousands of years

True. And the broader point is MILLIONS still live w/o internet, certainly not the “killer internet” needed to support streaming.

First, of course, millions cannot get such service.

But more importantly, millions do not want it. Many people have no interest in the internet. And millions more have a relationship with the internet that can be easily handled with their cell phone or with a far slower service. Not everyone gets to, or wants to, play video games all day.

And, commercially, other than something to take care of the credit cards, lots of restaurants and bars have no real internet needs.

And, ALL CORD CUTTER MATH is predicated on “the internet” just being there. Something you are going to buy anyway and hey I can dump DIRECTV and just watch Netflix or Hulu and save $$. A assumption. An assumption that does not apply to millions of people and millions of bars and restaurants and the like.

When you change the paradigm to “you have to PAY for killer internet and then PAY again for a streaming service” the entire math problem changes.

Which is why this TV Answerman, and all other “sky is falling” types that see linear TV dying, in the short term or EVER, don’t have a clue.

Reactions: Jimbo
Its kinda like the day they stopped selling records and only sold cd's... everyone has to roll with the changes
True. And the broader point is MILLIONS still live w/o internet, certainly not the “killer internet” needed to support streaming.

But more importantly, millions do not want it. Many people have no interest in the internet. And millions more have a relationship with the internet that can be easily handled with their cell phone or with a far slower service. Not everyone gets to, or wants to, play video games all day.

And, commercially, other than something to take care of the credit cards, lots of restaurants and bars have no real internet needs.

And, ALL CORD CUTTER MATH is predicated on “the internet” just being there. Something you are going to buy anyway and hey I can dump DIRECTV and just watch Netflix or Hulu and save $$. A assumption. An assumption that does not apply to millions of people and millions of bars and restaurants and the like.

When you change the paradigm to “you have to PAY for killer internet and then PAY again for a streaming service” the entire math problem changes.

Which is why this TV Answerman, and all other “sky is falling” types that see linear TV dying, in the short term or EVER, don’t have a clue.

Sent from my SM-G950U using the SatelliteGuys app!

I’m sure you meant no offense, but I think it’s a fallacy to say that rural people ‘tend to have lower credit scores.’

I think if you researched you’d find in many parts of the country the opposite to be true.

Also, I live way out in the country, the ‘woods’ almost, with four or five houses on a 3 mile road, and I have 1 gig fiber to the home.

Now, that is the exception to the rule, however, all people that live in rural areas aren’t uneducated and poor, or lack access to ‘modern’ services and conveniences.

I’m sure you didn’t necessarily mean that in your comment, unfortunately, it is a stereotype just like any other, same as those about ethic or gender groups for example.

I don't know much about rural areas outside of Texas. I was shocked to find out from a friend in another state that many other states restrict rural areas to farm and ranch only while Texas allows mobile homes to be slapped just about anywhere rural. It's these mobile homes that I am referring to, not the farms and ranches. Statistially in Texas rural areas are poorer and lack access to wired internet, but keep in mind we have way more miles of rural area than most other states. I've also witnessed a lot of rural mobiles having to go with DishNetwork over DirecTV due to credit reasons...

The NFL and AT&T both have a option to terminate the deal early, it will be on D* next season, but after that who knows.

AT&T and the National Football League are widely known to be at an impasse to extend their eight-year, $12 billion deal for Sunday Ticket, which was signed in 2014. Each had the option of opting out of that deal before it expired. But the sports news site said both parties missed the deadline to press the eject button.

People lived without internet or tv for thousands of years

Sent from my SM-G950U using the SatelliteGuys app!
Turn your TV and Internet (including Cell phone) off for a week, I bet you'd go crazy ...

MOST of the businesses that I deal with that have internet, have around 1.5 - 6mg max ...
Businesses don't need any higher, all they are doing is making electronic transactions ...
They don't want their customers or employees on the internet ...
Now that said, there are some that do have very good internet .... and do want thier customers on it, but they are the exception.

Reactions: SamCdbs

Speaking of cord cutters. I can’t tell you how many times I get a customer who just bought a house in the middle of nowhere, who used to have internet when they lived in the city.

I look up the address for internet... Nothing except satellite internet.

I suggest to them to get Directv and they tell me they don’t need Directv because “We stream everything”

I then put my phone on mute, laugh out loud and say not anymore.

Then I take the phone off mute, and politely explain how satellite internet works and what data caps are and the fact they will never be able to stream anything ever again

Then when they don’t believe me, I give them my telephone number along with the names of all the possible other internet providers in their area and tell them to call me when they are ready to get Directv.

Reactions: SamCdbs
Speaking of cord cutters. I can’t tell you how many times I get a customer who just bought a house in the middle of nowhere, who used to have internet when they lived in the city.

I look up the address for internet... Nothing except satellite internet.

I suggest to them to get Directv and they tell me they don’t need Directv because “We stream everything”

I then put my phone on mute, laugh out loud and say not anymore.

Then I take the phone off mute, and politely explain how satellite internet works and what data caps are and the fact they will never be able to stream anything ever again

Then when they don’t believe me, I give them my telephone number along with the names of all the possible other internet providers in their area and tell them to call me when they are ready to get Directv.

Is it really laughing out loud funny? Is it really necessary to laugh out loud at them just because they are uninformed? Seems like a condescending response to some poor customers just because you're an "expert" in the industry. You're coming off as the type of person I would never want to buy service from. Some humility would be nice.

Reactions: Bruce
Is it really laughing out loud funny? Is it really necessary to laugh out loud at them just because they are uninformed? Seems like a condescending response to some poor customers just because you're an "expert" in the industry. You're coming off as the type of person I would never want to buy service from. Some humility would be nice.

Claude does not like Cord Cutters because it costs him $$$$, yet he is willing to sell services that just rip customers off, does he bring up to how Comcast adds a minimum of $30 of fees to their 2 of 3 deals, heck even their most basic plan (locals) adds $20 to the bill.

Reactions: longhorn23
Claude does not like Cord Cutters because it costs him $$$$, yet he is willing to sell services that just rip customers off, does he bring up to how Comcast adds a minimum of $30 of fees to their 2 of 3 deals, heck even their most basic plan (locals) adds $20 to the bill.

He’s just a small business man. You’d be doing the same thing if you were in his shoes.

The burden to check all that out is on the customer.

Anytime one is moving to a rural area from an urban/suburban one it would behove them to become informed about what internet services are available.

Reactions: AZ.
He’s just a small business man. You’d be doing the same thing if you were in his shoes.

The burden to check all that out is on the customer.

I disagree, if you go to Comcast site and check to see what channels are available in what package, it lists locals and sports and at no where does it say these channels costs extra until you read the fine print on a different page.

If they are going to charge extra on channels they include in the package they should at least give you the option of opting out of those fees and channels, if they did I would still be a customer of their video service, i have no need of locals and do not watch sports.

Anytime one is moving to a rural area from an urban/suburban one it would behove them to become informed about what internet services are available.

That I agree with, we are moving to Florida in the next 2 years and will be triple checking to make sure the house gets great Broadband.

Reactions: osu1991

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)