TVGOS in Directv

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Cycledoc

Original poster
Feb 20, 2009
Washington
I recently moved from Dish. I have a D12-100 Directv receiver and am trying to use my Panasonic DMR-EH75 DVR. I've have had no luck in downloading the TV Guide On Screeen Guide (TVGOS) which the Panasonic DVR uses for scheduling recordings.

Is TVGOS working anywhere on Directv. I'm in rural Western Washingon and have had no luck getting the listings to download.

I am however able to schedule recordings manually.

I've tried resetting, using different zip codes but no station appears to be carrying the TVGOS data--CBS or PBS.

Any insights or suggestions?

For what it's worth Dish, while it didn't download TVGOS, scheduled my DVR from the Dish Network listings--an easier and better option than Directv seems to offer.

Many thanks
Cycledoc

Because the DIRECTV receivers don't have the ability to control external recorders like the DISH Network receivers do, you're pretty much out of luck with respect to using the DIRECTV guide to control everything.

As the DMR-EH75 doesn't have an ATSC tuner, you're pretty much dead in the water for using its built-in tuner to fetch guide data unless you can find an analog repeater that you can tune to.

I see a R16 in your future.

Not what I wanted to hear

Thanks for the responses. I saw the listing on the Macrovision site. Interestingly on their site they also say TVGOS will continue on Directv and I've seen on other locales that the Panasonic should be able to work--if the signal is there.

At present it appears not to be. I'm hoping the problem will eventually resolve as the digital transition completes itself. But I haven't found anyone on Directv with a working TVGOS at this moment in time.

We'll wait and see about the R16.

Thanks again.

Any News on TVGOS?

Forgive me for posting into an old thread, BUT... I'm a noob and don't know any better. If there's a more appropriate thread for this, please help me out.

I have a Panasonic DMR-EH55, a DirecTV D10-300, and have been using TVGOS up until it went "lights out" about a month or so ago. My impression is that DirecTV has stopped broadcasting analog TVGOS. I tried (don't know what I expected...) contacting them for customer "service" but was unable to locate anyone who even knew what TVGOS was.

I was wondering if anyone has been successful in adapting a DTVPal or DTVPal Plus to this DirecTV/Panasonic DMR-EH55 or 75/TVGOS situation. Apparently there are not many of us who had this combination working while TVGOS was still alive, and I have been searching for anyone who has been able to
1. Add a DTVPal to a DirecTV setup
2. Use it to detect a DIGITAL TVGOS station in your area
3. Have the DTVPal read the digital TVGOS and convert it to analog TVGOS so the Panny can read it

Before I joined SatelliteGuys I read about someone here with this exact situation, but never found out whether he solved the problem. Can anyone help with this?

Lance

The DTVPal is entirely alien to DIRECTV. DIRECTV devices can't use it and it can't deal with anything DIRECTV.

I've seen conflicting stories on other forums as to whether or not the DTVPal will properly pass TVGOS information (assuming it is even available -- and on what subchannel -- from KNME). There's been some recent activity in a thread on avsforum regarding using the DTVPal for TVGOS.

Have you contemplated using the DTVPal's own scheduling capability instead of the TVGOS version?

I've seen conflicting stories on other forums as to whether or not the DTVPal will properly pass TVGOS information (assuming it is even available -- and on what subchannel -- from KNME). There's been some recent activity in a thread on avsforum regarding using the DTVPal for TVGOS.

I've just spent an enormous amount of time over at the AVS Forum reading about the many experiments with DTVPal and TVGOS. If I were to sum up literally tens of hours of reading, I'd say this: The DTVPal WILL convert digital TVGOS to analog TVGOS, which it will then send to an analog TVGOS device. This requires, however, that the digital TVGOS host channel is transmitting the special subset of digital TVGOS required by the DTVPal -- not every digital TVGOS host is doing this yet. I believe that KNME is still broadcasting analog TVGOS, or at least it was as of the beginning of the year, meaning that a DTVPal wouldn't even be needed. My hope has been that KRQE in the Albuquerque area, like other CBS affiliates across the country, would eventually carry digital TVGOS in the form that the DTVPal could read.

I'm aware that a DTVPal requires an OTA antenna input, and thus is unable to do anything with DirecTV data. Unfortunately there is also no way to merge the OTA-sourced TVGOS data with the channels available on DirecTV, from what I can determine.

I believe that this only leaves us former users of TVGOS from DirecTV stuck, hoping that eventually Macrovision and DirecTV might someday negotiate an agreement to once again provide TVGOS over DirecTV.

Have you contemplated using the DTVPal's own scheduling capability instead of the TVGOS version?

After using the vastly superior (IMHO) TVGOS interface, I just wouldn't be willing to settle for the relatively meager PSIP data provided by the Pal. Not only that, but I'd have to decide to give up DirecTV. I just want it all, now, I guess.

Is there anyone else on the DirecTV forum who misses their TVGOS?

Lance

Unfortunately there is also no way to merge the OTA-sourced TVGOS data with the channels available on DirecTV, from what I can determine.
As the only way to pass the data would be through an analog tuner or a composite video input -- neither of which any modern DIRECTV DVR (or the DTVPal) has -- the answer is, as I stated previously, no how, no way.

I'd look into a DVR recorder with TVGOS digital or a DTVPal DVR.

Analog TVGOS Now Working Again in DIRECTV

Imagine my surprise when my TVGOS began working again yesterday! DirecTV discontinued analog TVGOS in May, and I'd given it up for dead. I've now seen downloads on two consecutive days, so I'd say it's back! Host Channel is the same as before it left the airwaves -- Ch. 237, the TVGuide channel. If you had it before, take a look!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts