TWC Now In DFW,Texas (Big Disappointment So Far)

txcruiser

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 26, 2004
Well TWC has taken over Comcast for a couple of weeks here in Dallas/Fort Worth...

My observations to date...

1) Both of my 6412 DVRs became inoperable somehow at the same time...
I had to replace both of them after much tinkering.

Coincidence?

2) Base on #1 I found that the same inept folks made the move over from Comcast.
No real surprise here unfortunately. I'll spare writing the details.

3) The TV guide has been "enhanced" by removing a line of the channel listing and adding a line of advertisement. Nice touch , TWC!

4) A new channel lineup has been announced, officially starting on Sept 18th.
Although my price hasn't changed yet... I noticed the new lineup removes the Encore Channels from my package. Who knows what the price will be to get them back on Sept 18th.

5) Today the Encore On-Demand selection has suddenly disappeared with no messages indicating this change.

6) Their "Comcast is switching to TWC" radio and tv commercials are very irritating to me.

So far I seem to only be losing and not gaining anything from this switch.

Bummer!

I agree with you 100%.

Also don't forget, comcast had just started adding ESPN2hd in many markets. Now we have no future for that with the upcoming college football season.

Thanks TWC!

I agree with the Comcast to TWC commercials.

We have DISH, and have to put up with those annoying commercials on our local channels. They always show 2-3 in a row too.

I emailed TWC 3 days ago asking them about the loss of Encore OnDemand.

I knew that calling them was a complete waste of time.

So far no response. Nor do I expect to get one now. Another task that is a complete waste of time.

At least Comcast seemed to be slowly adding stuff over the last few years...instead of taking stuff away right from the start.

I wished TWC would spend their money making their product better and stop with all those commercials.

Message to TWC... "WE ALL KNOW THAT TWC HAS REPLACED COMCAST!!!"

I think, just I think....That time warner once the dust settles, we will see new channels, I think this fall and next spring will see growth, remember Time warner is putting Switched Video in to play this year and into next, They are doing things behind the scenes so They can grow.. Again just my opinion (BUTTTTTTTTTTTTTT I hope this is right as next year when I am forced to upgrade to Mpeg4 for Directv I will be Heading Back to Time warner as I dont want a 55-60 pound sat on my roof, and with trees I dont have a pole mount option.

Well just today they modified their On-Demand main menu (so it's not so obvious that Encore On Demand is missing imo).

I don't have STARZ but they did add On-Demand STARZ HD. At least I think that's new.

And I did get a TWC email response...

In part...

========================================================
We are currently evaluating the channel line up and
On Demand content in your area. We are planning several new additions
in mid to late September. We will place notices in your local
newspapers and on our website (http://www.timewarnercable.com/Dallas) with our new programming options. Have a great day!
========================================================

It doesn't really explain why I lost Encore On-Demand in Mid August though unless "evaluating" means "deleting".

Neutron said:
We have DISH, and have to put up with those annoying commercials on our local channels. They always show 2-3 in a row too.
Did you complain to the local stations ?? They're the ones who are willing to run them.

stuart628 said:
I think, just I think....That time warner once the dust settles, we will see new channels...
TWC is notoriously slow at adding any new channels (unless they're owned by TW's parent company).
...remember Time warner is putting Switched Video in to play this year and into next...
Where has TWC announced that they're implementing "switched video" ?? They're doing "digital simulcasting" slowly across the country in existing TW regions .... I'm sure "new" regions have no timeframe unless the previous cableco had something already in place. Switched video and digital simulcasting are not the same thing.

hall said:
Did you complain to the local stations ?? They're the ones who are willing to run them.

There's no use in doing that. The 4 here probably have a deal inked with Time Warner and Charter (Ft. Worth's cable system) to do those. I would complain, but then all they would tell me is "tough".

hall said:
TWC is notoriously slow at adding any new channels (unless they're owned by TW's parent company).
Where has TWC announced that they're implementing "switched video" ?? They're doing "digital simulcasting" slowly across the country in existing TW regions .... I'm sure "new" regions have no timeframe unless the previous cableco had something already in place. Switched video and digital simulcasting are not the same thing.

I understand they are slow, But, they aer also due, and time warner cable is not a stupid company (okay well maybe a little).

Also here is the switched video, one of many I have seen

http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/74811?r=604

let me know what you think Hall.

That's the CEO talking about plans.... I wonder what the engineers at the local divisions thought when they read his comments.... I'm sure they'd love to do this *now* but are asking "where's the money to do it, Mr CEO ??".

What TWC divisions have any form of switched digital up and running or even in the testing phase ??

hall said:
That's the CEO talking about plans.... I wonder what the engineers at the local divisions thought when they read his comments.... I'm sure they'd love to do this *now* but are asking "where's the money to do it, Mr CEO ??".

What TWC divisions have any form of switched digital up and running or even in the testing phase ??

http://www.broadbandreports.com/shownews/73647

TWC Milwaukee is going to the switched and simulcast this year. we are also launching a new navigator screen. as far as channel lineups are concerned, there are several legal hurdles to get over and about a million lines of parterships and redtape agreements. i believe comcast took over houston, so that market down there will be going through similar issues. change is always a good thing unless it happens to us.

The switch to the new channel line up on Sept 18th has been a joke.

I have two DVRs. Early on Sept 18 the channels all changed to the new lineup but the program guide wasn't changed. It wasn't until late in the day that 1 of my DVR's got the new program guide to match the new channels. Two days later I had to call to get TWC to reset the other box to get the new guide. That was working until today when I noticed I now once again have the old program guide on that DVR.
I called again to get it reset but this time the reset didn't not fix it. The CSR mentioned that my program is a common one and the TWC was going to reset EVERYONE'S box tonight???

What a fiasco!!! :mad:

I swear I hate TWC. I was happy comcast customer and then bam! TWC takes over.
I lose several spaces on my guide, lost a few HD channel, and they screwed up the lineup so bad I can't find crap.. Also the ondemand area has about 50% less content and does not work 30% of the time.

Please can I have my comcast back?

If you are considering cable in the the DFW area and have HD, find a dish or something. TWC is a joke!

mmiller40 said:
I swear I hate TWC. I was happy comcast customer and then bam! TWC takes over.
I lose several spaces on my guide, lost a few HD channel, and they screwed up the lineup so bad I can't find crap.. Also the ondemand area has about 50% less content and does not work 30% of the time.

Please can I have my comcast back?

If you are considering cable in the the DFW area and have HD, find a dish or something. TWC is a joke!

Welcome to our world. E-mail Fred Dressler (Corp VP of Programming for TWC) at fred.dressler@twcable.com and tell him how disgusted you are. If enough people do ... what am I saying? They don't give a crap about us. E-mailing will do nothing more than make you feel better.

My guide is STILL wrong and it's now Sept 27!
I guess I have no choice but to call TWC again for another reset and hopes that corrects the guide once and for all.

TWC seems to not care about OnDemand since updates seem almost non-existent.

I hate TWC!!!

:mad: :mad:

I finally the correct guide and channel listing after the umpteenth time that I had to get TWC to reset my box.

Their free movies on demand is dying a slow death. The have added 0 new titles since their takeover and the list is getting shorter since some are dropping off every week.

And now we hear that Comcast On Demand is really taking off these days!

I'm really bummed!

My price hasn't increased though... and their stupid commercials have finally stopped

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)