TWC to Charge Lease Fee for Company Owned Cable Modems Starting 10/15/2012 (Nationwide)

Note that this article is for New York customers only. While TWC will likely roll this out nationwide over time, the title of the thread is misleading. Different regions, different policies, as is normal for TWC.

Thanks for the clarification/title updates you are absolutely correct.

yep they are starting it in ohio also here, got my new bill goes into effect the 1st i already pay and extra 7.95 acess for there wifi access thru there modem, it will be over 12 bucks extra now per month for there modem wireless router combo

VOIP customers do not pay a fee. I confirmed it 3x's with Time Warner. Once when I first got the notice, second time before I purchased my modem and Last night when I activated my modem. The fee is only for the internet. (I also have a chat session email confirmation that theirs no fee for the VOIP services).

I wonder how the FCC will like this.

1) I had BOUGHT my own modem
2) TWC refused(!) to enable it on their network (essentially), even though it was the SAME EXACT model they "give out"
3) at the time there were NO DOCSIS 3.0 modems on the approved list (needed for 50/5 services)
4) I had TWC give me one of their modems
5) I returned the modem I bought to Amazon, and lost ~~$25
6) I filed an FCC complaint and went back and forth with TWC and the FCC
7) the ONE D3 modem on the list is the one they give out
8) They REFUSE to FULLY enable ALL features on the modem (guest wireless, others)

I really wonder what our friends at the FCC would say to this issue.

(I'm just waiting for them to try this here in Austin).

Oh Goodie......

I just found this on my last statement:
In the know...BEGINNNING WITH YOUR NEXT BILL, AN INTERNET
MODEM LEASE FEE WILL BE APPLIED TO TIME
WARNER CABLE PROVIDED INTERNET MODEMS AT
THE RATE OF $3.95 PER MONTH. IF YOU WOULD LIKE
TO USE YOUR OWN MODEM, VISIT
TWC.COM/APPROVEDDEVICES FOR A LIST OF
APPROVED MODEMS.

Time to raise holy f'ing hell.

Interesting chat.. The rep says I have a free modem on my account, and gave me a $24/mo break for the next 12, and then $14 for the following 12.

We'll see what the statement says on the 20th.

Last edited:
Apparently this is a nationwide policy now. I got the fee on my statement, and no amount of reasoning with TWC CSR's and Supervisors would get them to budge on it. So, I went to my local Fry's and bought the same exact modem, and hooked it up, and had TWC activate it. Took their modem back to them today. I expect to see the $3.95 credit back to the account in a day or 3.

Beware the fee :)

I wish ours was only $3.95 but Suddenlink charges close to $10 to lease it. I'm about to pull the trigger on buying our own DOCSIS 3.0 as well.

Updated the thread title to show nationwide based on discussions with TWC here in Austin and National RR support.

When and how was this announced. I am unable to view my October statement. Just comes up blank. Nothing on the September statement. No e-mails about it.

It was a notice on my September bill (quoted above), and the fee showed up on the 10/20 bill.

Apparently it was effective with bills issued after 10/15.

Yes, I pulled my bills down yesterday, and the previous month had a warning about the $3.95 fee starting this month. I just picked up a DOCSIS 3.0 modem, although at $130, the payback is 32 months, and far from a no-brainer. BTW, this month had a warning about cable cards going from $2 per month to $2.50 next month.... Geez, wish I could buy my own cable card - they can't be too expensive...

What's completely asinine is that they are not charging the modem fee for their digital phone service. If you have just phone, there's no modem fee. If you have just Internet, there's a fee. If you have both phone AND Internet, which operate TOGETHER on the SAME MODEM, you will be charged the modem fee!

Apparently, we can buy our own modem for Internet service and connect it alongside TWC's modem, which will be disabled for Internet but will still provide phone service, and the fee will be waived. This makes no freaking sense at all. If you are paying TWC for phone service and you already have the modem with no fee, why on earth should a fee be added on that very same modem just because the Internet service is also routed through it. There's no justifiable or logical reason for it.

yep they are starting it in ohio also here, got my new bill goes into effect the 1st i already pay and extra 7.95 acess for there wifi access thru there modem, it will be over 12 bucks extra now per month for there modem wireless router combo

I wouldn't pay that. You can pick up a decent wireless router these days for $40 on sale. I can't believe they charge that much. Now you will also be paying more for the modem?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)