TWELVE REASONS WHY NBC IS A LAST-PLACE NETWORK

I cannot think of a show on NBC primetime I have watched even semi-regularly in a very long time. And nothing they have announced for next fall looks any good either.

A lot of it does go back to Jeff Zucker. His self-serving strategy of losing money to get extra years out of shows like Friends, rather than developing new shows, and the Jay Leno disaster, have killed the network.

One thing to remember is that, outside the top 30 or so markets, affiliates matter. Signal strength issues, local news loyalites, lots of stuff. I think we will start to see NBC on the worst station in town lots of places. In my market, NBC (owned by Grey) is the #1 station. Best syndication, ultra-dominant local news, best stick. I cannot imagine a reason why they would not sign with CBS or Fox yesterday.

The NBC affiliate here in Tulsa will be in trouble in Sept. Now that Scripps has decided to reduce its spending on syndicated progrsmming. They are giving up both Jeopardy and Wheel of Fortune. That along with NBC's ratings will really hurt KJRH. The only thing to help them will be Sunday Night Football and possibly the Voice.

Sent from my Toshiba Thrive

In my market, NBC (owned by Grey) is the #1 station. Best syndication, ultra-dominant local news, best stick. I cannot imagine a reason why they would not sign with CBS or Fox yesterday.

You must live in the Charleston/Huntington DMA then as channel 3 seems to be dominant here.

They are on a roll don't bother them.

NBC finished slightly above last, last year, by virtue of the Super Bowl. NBC will not have another Super Bowl for three years, and, like all networks, loses money on a cash basis, on the NFL. It is fair to normalize out the NFL, in which case NBC was not only last, but a poor last.

You must live in the Charleston/Huntington DMA then as channel 3 seems to be dominant here.

Yes. Since TV news ratings were first taken in 1968, WSAZ (NBC) has never had a local news rating that is less than twice that of all other local stations, combined. It also has the strongest signal, the best syndication, etc. The channel was recently sold to Gray, which has CBS just one market over in Lexington. It was one of the leaders in the "Jay Leno Revolt" (local 11 PM news ratings declined, because Leno was so awful, and stations threatened to go to 10 PM news or syndication of actually entertaining programming). I can see no reason why such a station would not look at CBS or Fox. Why would a good station want to be hooked with a network that isn't even trying? NBC may soon be what ABC was in the 60s and Fox in the 80s (on the worst station in town, UHF legacies, missing in small markets, token news efforts, etc).

I think the only prime time NBC show I watch is Law & Order SVU. Then Leno in late night and that's it for NBC. Most of my shows are on CBS as well and 1 or 2 on ABC. Nothing on FOX and only Supernatural on The CW.

20 May 2012 (9:00 PM ET) - Jessee Stone: Benefit of the Doubt

Best Friends Forever

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)