Twinhan 102g

Status
Please reply by conversation.

kurtsat

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 3, 2006
Antelope, California
I must say it's AWESOME!! Was on 4:2:2 and it sure looks like HDTV to me! I really can't say where this wildfeed TNT came from.. I couldn't post where I was watching at.. Can't wait to join "What's up there?" in private forum.. Don't know when I'll be in. :cool: So, anyway, this picture looks awesome... So, what y'all think?!

Attachments

• nascar-snap.jpg
    nascar-snap.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 297
  • nascar-snap-1.jpg
    nascar-snap-1.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 293
Last edited:
kurtsat said:
I must say it's AWESOME!! Was on 4:2:2 and it sure looks like HDTV to me! I really can't say where this wildfeed TNT came from.. I couldn't post where I was watching at.. Can't wait to join "What's up there?" in private forum.. Don't know I'll be in. :cool: So, anyway, this picture looks awesome... So, what y'all think?!

What kind of setup do you have?

digiblur said:
What kind of setup do you have?

Operating System: Windows XP Professional SP2
CPU: AMD Athlon XP 2500+ 1.83ghz - Currently overclocked to 3200+ 2.2ghz
Motherboard: ASUS A7N8X 2.0 Deluxe
Memory: 1 GB RAM
HD: 160 GB
Video: ATI Radeon 9800 Pro AGP 128MB
Software: TSReader Lite 2.7.44

kurtsat said:
Operating System: Windows XP Professional SP2
CPU: AMD Athlon XP 2500+ 1.83ghz - Currently overclocked to 3200+ 2.2ghz
Motherboard: ASUS A7N8X 2.0 Deluxe
Memory: 1 GB RAM
HD: 160 GB
Video: ATI Radeon 9800 Pro AGP 128MB
Software: TSReader Lite 2.7.44

Cool... TSReader will show you the resolution of the mux btw.

And one more thing, the original resolution was 1900x1088. And here's one of original picture:

WARNING: It's HUGE picture 2.98mb.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just curious, with the setup you have listed there, what were your CPU and memory usage %? I'm looking to build and box and was wondering what components to put in it. I know 4:2:2 HD takes the most cpu cycles. Heard everything from 50 to 100% cpu load depending on setup.

kurtsat said:
I must say it's AWESOME!! Was on 4:2:2 and it sure looks like HDTV to me! I really can't say where this wildfeed TNT came from.. I couldn't post where I was watching at.. Can't wait to join "What's up there?" in private forum.. Don't know when I'll be in. :cool: So, anyway, this picture looks awesome... So, what y'all think?!

Not to be judgmental, but IMO feeds (and pictures) should not be mentioned/posted in public forums at any time. Just my opinion though.

vj9999 said:
Not to be judgmental, but IMO feeds (and pictures) should not be mentioned/posted in public forums at any time. Just my opinion though.

I agree. especially with the logo of the network prominently displayed in the pic. Also mentioning the networks name is probably not a good idea.

ust curious, with the setup you have listed there, what were your CPU and memory usage %? I'm looking to build and box and was wondering what components to put in it. I know 4:2:2 HD takes the most cpu cycles. Heard everything from 50 to 100% cpu load depending on setup.

I'm thinking the new Core 2 chips from Intel might be a good way to go if your planning on building a PC for this type of application. I, myself, am considering building a new PC to use as a dedicated renderer with it running VLC and streaming to it from Tsreader running on my main system. A small form factor PC based on one these processors would make alot of sense for this as these chips seem to be pretty fast and yet run cool. Video card performance doesn't seem to matter much as long as it's not either a really ancient card or using an interface, like legacy PCI, where bandwidth might be limited. So, any relatively modern AGP, PCI express, or even more recent onboard video devices would do just the same. So, when looking for a video card look at the lower end cards which are cheap and generally tend to run cooler and use less power. The higher end cards are just for gamers.

Last edited:
The 4:2:2 feeds at 1920x1080i that have an SR 26000+ need a pretty stout processor. I was running a 2.6ghz P4 at one time, and it wasn't coming close to cutting it. With the same amount of memory, same video card, same software, etc but with a 4200 AMD X2, it doesn't even blink an eye at processing that huge amount of data.

BTW....I'm also talking about processing the 5.1 audio out to a 7.1 DD card and displaying it in full screen mode at a 1080i resolution on a 57inch screen.

I have had great success with a Celeron D352 with 256MB ram and a cheapy onboard ATI Radeon Xpress200.

4:2:2 HD feeds with about 50% - %60 resources used.

The video card does make a difference when using NVIDIA PureVideo or DXVA.

But I don't think a card with more pipes would help for that, so be smart and find one with the most clock speed rather than pipes. For example some video cards are considered faster because they have more pipes but might have a lower clock speed, it may be faster for 3d graphics but it wont help video.

I am not completely sure the above paragraph is true it is just what I figure, if someone can comfirm that it would be good.

Trevorm7 said:
The video card does make a difference when using NVIDIA PureVideo or DXVA.

But do those codecs decode 4:2:2? As far as I know the only 2 pieces of software that decode 4:2:2 are VLC and Elecard. VLC doesn't use video card hardware accelerations as it's meant to be portable across different platforms and taking advantage of very platform specific features would go completely against this. Elecard may use hardware acceleration to some extent and may do so when playing back 4:2:0. However, I've noticed that the Elecard player greys out the check box for DXVA acceleration whenever your playing 4:2:2 video and doesn't allow you to enable it. I don't know for sure but I'd bet there's a reason for that. I wouldn't be surprised if there were some limitation in the technology and perhaps the hardware also that prevent Elecard from be able to take advantage of DXVA acceleration for 4:2:2. You have to remember 4:2:2 is not a consumer format. 99.9% of consumer will never have access to or need to play back a 4:2:2 Mpeg 2 video. Therefore it's highly unlikely video card manufacturers would add support for it in these type of video cards. Now cards meant for use in the video production and/or in the broadcast industry are a different story and there are such cards that support it. One example is the Stradis cards that Tsreader has built-in support for. But these cards are very expensive and hard to find and are made only for this specifc purpose.

Not real sure about that myself, and I admit that I have my doubts. But I did just order an nVidia 6600GT and will be seeing it for myself. If for nothing else, it will accelerate my DVD playback and it'll be nice. I've read that these card DVD quality wise smoke almost all of the high end DVD players that cost $1000s of dollars.

Another option to consider for HD material is a MyHD card. When watching stuff from my Twinhand card, I'll often times turn off the picture and sound in MyTheatre and just record the program. I then open it with MyHD and play it back through the TV. This option gives you good HD playback from very minimal PC's and also let's you get OTA digital broadcasts too. The only downside, is sometimes the RW/FF doesn't work right on Sat programming unless I run the programs through VideoReDo first. Which you can't do if you're watching live.

Last edited:
What causes a choppy picture and looping of audio fragments with this card?

I am using a Pentium 4 @ 1.3ghz with 128mb of RAM and an ATI All in Wonder 128PCI video card with TWINHAN 2.608 software. I think the card has 8mb of video memory.

The dish is 90cm with Invacom Quad LNB QPH031. I get good reception with a Fortec Star Mercury II receiver from the dish using the same coax.

The 1.3ghz processor first off. I've heard guys using 2.8ghz and sometimes having trouble. What are you trying to watch? 4:2:0 SD or HD or 4:2:2 SD or HD? The 4:2:2 SD and HD content is VERY demanding! I recommend doing a major system overall including a new processor (which will call for a new motherboard too...atleast a 2.6ghz or higher for 4:2:2 HD stuff), and a new videocard. I'm sorry to tell you that what you've got now won't cut it.

iammike said:
Another option to consider for HD material is a MyHD card. When watching stuff from my Twinhand card, I'll often times turn off the picture and sound in MyTheatre and just record the program. I then open it with MyHD and play it back through the TV. This option gives you good HD playback from very minimal PC's and also let's you get OTA digital broadcasts too. The only downside, is sometimes the RW/FF doesn't work right on Sat programming unless I run the programs through VideoReDo first. Which you can't do if you're watching live.

Is there anyway to record the TS files in a smaller file size and then watching it in MYHD on a small delay? Depending on how the TS files record, MYHD should play them in sequence. Might be the closest to RT with the MYHD card (BTW, its a great card! Have had my MDP-100 for a few years now running strong!)

I literally just installed my first DVB card (102G) so I was hoping that there were some solutions with the MYHD card.

scottc98 said:
Is there anyway to record the TS files in a smaller file size and then watching it in MYHD on a small delay? Depending on how the TS files record, MYHD should play them in sequence. Might be the closest to RT with the MYHD card (BTW, its a great card! Have had my MDP-100 for a few years now running strong!)

I literally just installed my first DVB card (102G) so I was hoping that there were some solutions with the MYHD card.

With MyTheatre, the output is a program stream rather than a transport stream. I can open the file with MyHD while the 102g continues to record it. I can get up within a few seconds of real time. It works pretty well. The only issue that happens with some DVB feeds is the FF/RW doesn't work right on MyHD. If I'm not watching in real-time, I run it through VideoReDo to fix the stream problems and then play it back without issue.

Mike

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)