Two accounts one external drive?

budda

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 21, 2006
Oconomowoc
This may have been asked before but can not find anything. A friend wants me to record on something from HBO on my external drive then he wants to watch it at his house. We both have vip722k's. Is this possible? Or is the external drive account specific. Thanks.

since there is no charge to add a EHD to the EHD it **might** work

like rocket says "try it"....worse case scenario is it asks to format the drive. In that case, power off the receiver, remove EHD and reboot receiver

Doubtful. It will most likely ask to reformat if taken to another account. I was thinking about this today when my Mom got her 722K, I have 2 722Ks, wanted to bring one of my EHDs to her house, but I'm 99.99% sure it won't work across different accounts. Here's hoping you can prove me wrong.

DIRT has said previously that the EHDs were account specific. Several of our folks here have tried to add the EHD to a separate account DVR and it doesn't work....

It ain't gonna work. I went through this about 2 months ago when I changed my AT&T/Dish account to a Dish account. I received new receivers and had to send the old ones back. I was assured that my EHD's would convert to the new account. When I hooked up my EHD to the new receiver I had the option of putting it back on the original receiver or press here and the drive will be formatted and all data will be lost. After arguing ad-nauseum, I said f--k it and started recording from scratch.

It's worth a try. Let us know your results.

MHB

EHD's are non-transferable between different accounts. There is an activation key that is placed an an account and each account has a different one. It will not allow for the EHD to moved to a different account with re-formatting the drive.

Thanks makes sense.Not a big deal. I don't save stuff very long.But was something to think about.Thanks for replies. :) Might try it anyway.

Take *your* receiver with you ;) its not picky about the LNB it attaches too (other than arc) but it would allow you to set your receiver there, and your EHD, and poof instant watch.

Otherwise you could do a Sling Adapter .. 2 meg upload bandwidth would give you decent watchability.

I know the files are some how encoded for dish only as a linux pc can see the files but not watch them but never know that just the drive is locked to an account..

Dont think i can say more

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts