Two attributes of current TV displays

i2amsam

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 15, 2021
NJ
This is a refinement of a replacement TV discussion that I started in the Dish forum (as a DIsh subscriber). That was a lively thread that produced a lot of good information, but two of my questions remained unanswered:

1. What current brands/models (hopefully none) have non-standard control codes that would prevent using a Dish remote as the master? I currently have an older RCA in my living room that required use of the RCA remote for on/off and volume control.

2. What current brands/models come with "smart" internet-connected technology (Alexa, et al) that cannot be completely disabled?

Thanks!

SAM

1. What current brands/models (hopefully none) have non-standard control codes that would prevent using a Dish remote as the master? I currently have an older RCA in my living room that required use of the RCA remote for on/off and volume control.]
Pretty much any of the brand names that you remember from the days of yore. Brands that are no longer what they appear to be include:

Zenith
Toshiba
JVC
RCA
Philips
Sharp
Magnavox
Quasar
Sanyo
ProScan

Some models from these manufacturers use supported code sets (many Walmart models support the Sony codes) but you don't know until you take it home.

If you have a modern DISH receiver, the TV may be supported using HDMI-CEC and the IR codes might not be needed at all.
2. What current brands/models come with "smart" internet-connected technology (Alexa, et al) that cannot be completely disabled?
The list of Alexa and Google Assistant TVs grows every day. Alexa won't work unless you log the TV into Amazon and Google Assistant can typically be disabled (or not enabled in the first place).

The TV manufacturers don't identify the supported/required codes or code sets in the published specifications for each model? That is beyond disappointing...

Last edited:
Pretty much any of the brand names that you remember from the days of yore. Brands that are no longer what they appear to be include:

Zenith
Toshiba
JVC
RCA
Philips
Sharp
Magnavox
Quasar
Sanyo
ProScan

Some models from these manufacturers use supported code sets (many Walmart models support the Sony codes) but you don't know until you take it home.

If you have a modern DISH receiver, the TV may be supported using HDMI-CEC and the IR codes might not be needed at all.

The list of Alexa and Google Assistant TVs grows every day. Alexa won't work unless you log the TV into Amazon and Google Assistant can typically be disabled (or not enabled in the first place).
I have Hopper with Sling and 3 Joeys (1 is Super). Can you point me at some resource that describes the HDMI-CEC tech so that I can determine if it helps me? Thanks!

Not sure I understand thoroughly the completely disabled part. If you're speaking of smart tv's there is always the option of disabling the Internet.

As far as remotes go. By far the best investment is my Logitech Harmony Ultimate remote.
It can do away with every remote I use. As a matter of fact most can go right in the drawer in the coffee table.
My AV system now is a one button press to turn on the tv, sat receiver, av receiver. Switch to the correct inputs and sound mode, etc.
There is a smart phone app also. It's pretty slick. Once it's all setup.

HDMI CEC is sometimes finicky. It's supposed to be a standard that supports devices. Sometimes quirky too if you have different branded components. Steaming devices here like Fire TV, Roku play nice with my Sony smart tv. The remotes for them are actually a bit more friendly than the tv remote. But again the Ultimate does way with those too.

The tv also has many of the apps that the streaming devices have. I guess I just like my HDMI ports occupied.

I just assisted an older gent in setting up a new Sanyo smart tv along with his Dish receiver. No real issues at all.
Walked him through the steps of operating it all. Left a cheat sheet. Followed up a few days later and he seemed very pleased.
A good learning remote is good too if you have time to do the initial setup.

Good Luck!

The TV manufacturers don't identify the supported/required codes or code sets in the published specifications for each model? That is beyond disappointing...
How would they do that and what would you do with the information?

This becomes even more complicated as manufacturers move away from infrared remotes towards Bluetooth, Wi-fi and CEC that don't suffer the difficulties of IR. Welcome to the 21st century.

Not sure I understand thoroughly the completely disabled part. If you're speaking of smart tv's there is always the option of disabling the Internet.
Disabling the Internet on a smart TV essentially disables the all the smart features. That doesn't seem like a reasonable course of action.

I have Hopper with Sling and 3 Joeys (1 is Super). Can you point me at some resource that describes the HDMI-CEC tech so that I can determine if it helps me? Thanks!
With a modern entertainment system (even if the "system" is a receiver and a TV), it absolutely has applications.

HDMI-CEC was introduced almost 17 years ago.

Reactions: Foxbat

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)