Two DVB-S cards one motor how to let the other card to move the motor?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

enb141

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 5, 2009
Central America
Hi guys this is my design

twopcicardsmotordiseqcs.png

So now back to my question DVB-S Card C is the only one able to move the motor, so is there a way to let the DVB-S Card L to tell the other card to move the motor?

Attachments

• Two-PCI-Cards-Motor-Diseqc-switch-LNB.png
    Two-PCI-Cards-Motor-Diseqc-switch-LNB.png
    37.3 KB · Views: 548
That's a strange design ! :)
I don't see the reason for having both circular ports on one 22khz or Diseqc Switch, and both Linear ports on the other. Usually, each switch gets a circular and linear port. Hopefully, there is no way to move the motor from the 2d card, you wouldn't like the results, I suspect. If those are 22khz switches , though, I've seen the diseqc commands for the motor go right thru the lnbf and cause the motor to oscillate between two different positions.
You're better off not trying to control the motor from two different cards.
:)

Anole contributed a lot on switch diagrams in Switch setups simplified thread. Pendragon touched various aspects of controlling multiple dishes and LNBs in a more elaborate way to account for strong and weak points of signal reception and equipment control via multiple Sat Cards and Receivers in Sat System Structure Optimization thread and others. I would be really interested to hear from these guys on this typical for multiple sat card owners question. :)

In my case the reason why is because the DVB-S Card C can tune :
Turbo-coded QPSK
Turbo-coded 8PSK
Turbo-coded 16QAM
Digicipher II Combo
Digicipher II Split (I/Q)
Digicipher II Offset QPSK

and the DVB-S Card L can tune DVB-S2 (the other card can't tune DVB-S2)

So that's why I need this crazy diagram.

This is the diagram from one of my posts that should do what you want. You can skip the 4x1 switches because your LNB will suffice. You'll have to do a search if you want some words :)

Attachments

• Dual Receiver - One Motor.pdf
    14 KB · Views: 273
Look through Two receivers - one motor: possible? thread. Its a bit hard to find, but useful for dual card holders. Better yet, look through the above linked Optimization thread to get a sense of real FTA heat. :) Try to put one receiver in Standby and control the motor by another one, then vice versa, and tell us, what Viewer packages did you use, and how it went.

And this Hookup & Motor Control thread gives links to the opposite task: control 2 motors from one receiver. What you probably want though, is to ideally be able to control the motor from any of 2 receivers without putting another receiver in Standby. That configuration may be possible with a band stacked LNBF, but someone should chime in with a proper schematics, if neither of your cards has a Loop Through port. However, none of known band stack LNBF models can replace Invacom QPH-031 in versatility.

Last edited:
In my case the reason why is because the DVB-S Card C can tune :
Turbo-coded QPSK
Turbo-coded 8PSK
Turbo-coded 16QAM
Digicipher II Combo
Digicipher II Split (I/Q)
Digicipher II Offset QPSK

and the DVB-S Card L can tune DVB-S2 (the other card can't tune DVB-S2)

So that's why I need this crazy diagram.

You don't gain anything by having:
a receiver with a switch connected on two L ports
and
a receiver with a switch connected on two C ports.

You lose the capability for each receiver to see both linear polarity and circular polarity transponders

If only the skywalker did DVB-S2 . :)
Believe us, you really should have one linear port and one circular port on each switch, so that both cards can see all the available signals. Before I bought the AZbox, that's my config for a HDTC-PC, a skywalker-1 and a TT-3200 , so I could see all the streams, with motor driven by Merc II.

And that's another good option: hook up a $20 Coolsat STB to control the motor, and connect your both cards to the Invacom LNBF like the guys suggested above. Ideally you wouldn't want high current consumed by the motor when turning a heavy dish flowing through your card, motherboard and PC power supply. Some people also power connected LNBFs and switches from other sources than PC sat cards, so the cards don't pass through high current, are not subject to voltage fluctuations affecting signal locking, and dedicated only to sat. signal tuning and demodulation. But for a budget HTPC system a simplified setup like yours will do, if a bit corrected.

Now one question why this invacom has 4 outputs (two linear, two circular) are this ones copies of each one, in other words are this inputs receiving the whole range of frequencies?

now about using a STB for moving the motor, the problem here is that when the card will tell the receiver to move?

Using the diplexer according to pendragon in this scenario I must be very carefull that both cards don't try to move the motor right?

guapoharry not sure about Digicipher II on Circular but Tubos DVB-S yes they are.

Now one question why this invacom has 4 outputs (two linear, two circular) are this ones copies of each one, in other words are this inputs receiving the whole range of frequencies?

now about using a STB for moving the motor, the problem here is that when the card will tell the receiver to move?

Using the diplexer according to pendragon in this scenario I must be very carefull that both cards don't try to move the motor right?

guapoharry not sure about Digicipher II on Circular but Tubos DVB-S yes they are.

1. Yes, the Invacom outputs are each the complete freq range. 2 separate linear outputs and 2 separate circular outputs.

2. Yes, you don't want both cards to be trying to access the motor.

3. I think that DC-II remark was partly tongue in cheek, but I have on occasion picked up an ITC DC-II transponder with the linear lnbf on the skywalker.

You can command an STB to turn the motor using its Remote. PC card tuners won't turn it in this scenario, and neither will control the STB. Invacom has 4 independent LNBFs packaged in a common plastic case.

When using the Diplexers, since each of your PC cards will power 2 (out of 4) independent LNBs, you may get by without putting any of your cards in Standby when switching channels. But both cards will scan in most scenarios the same sat, unless you setup your motorized dish as on my avatar.

Do you watch now channels from both cards in 2 separate windows? Using what Sat. Viewer package?
When turning motor via one card, you may need to first put in Standby mode another one, but try it and share your finding.

Well basically what I want is to tune channels and if this channel are located in another satellite then the Diseqc command should move the dish to that desired satellite.

So using a STB will make me change first the channel on the PCI dvb card and then tell the STB to move the satellite

If you're only watching on one card at a time, you only have to make sure one card is sending power for this scheme to work. It may depend on the drivers and how the apps control the polarization voltage when they are quit. My cards drop the voltage, but yours may be different.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

RTN on AMC9 with Primestar Dish

tech question from newbie

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)