Two Homes - Two sets of equipment - one account.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

IrishSpuds

Original poster
Mar 26, 2014
USA
Hi - noobie here! The title sounds ominous, but NO theft of service considered. Here's my deal- live in NJ, main home and shore home. Have DirectV in my shore place with the Genie and two other 'boxes'. $100 or so a month for a place we visit every other month is a little steep. Was thinking of buying a dish for the main place, canceling FIOS and schlepping the boxes down to the shore place each time. Got to be an easier way. There would not be any time when TV would be watched at the same time. I have heard as long as this is true it is permitted. Can I order extra equipment and have it installed in the main place and if so what equipment? All tv's are HD. Sorry if this is a dumb question.

Thank You

:welcome to Satelliteguys IrishSpuds!

While what you want to do is technically against the terms of service, it's generally acceptable. Directv won't endorse it, however. You will need to either install the dish and other equipment yourself or find a local independent installer willing to do it for you. Make sure you get the same equipment for both locations. You most likely have a swm lnb (one cable from the dish), 21 volt power inserter, and a swm splitter.

Many thanks Chip - thats great. So I should see what models I have at the shore place and buy same for main place. I am guessing I will need to copy certain config information from shore place to new. Again, I will never be using both sets of equipment simultaneously, ever - and they are for my personal use. I guess I can buy the genie, boxes and dish on eBay or amazon?

Many thanks Chip - thats great. So I should see what models I have at the shore place and buy same for main place. I am guessing I will need to copy certain config information from shore place to new. Again, I will never be using both sets of equipment simultaneously, ever - and they are for my personal use. I guess I can buy the genie, boxes and dish on eBay or amazon?

You will be leasing the boxes regardless of where you get them.

Go you need something as big as the Genie (as in 5 tuners and all) at the other place ?
If not you can get a HR24 (HD DVR) it works with a swm as well, pick up a swm dish and Power Inserter and do your own install.

The reason the SAME recvrs was mentioned was so you weren't trying to mix SWM and Non SWM recvrs, if both places are SWM, your good to go.

You do NOT want to get Clients for the other location, UNLESS your also getting a Genie for that location. Clients only work when a Genie is connected to it.

I thought you were going to move the Genie and other boxes back and forth. Since you can only have one Genie on an account, you can't get another one authorized on it. I would get the same setup and just move the boxes. Like Jimbo noted, what do you really need at the shore house, a dvr and a receiver, maybe two dvrs? You can get those from Solidsignal or a similar place and a regular lnb and dish, since the regular dvrs don't require a swm setup. You would have to pay an additional $6/month for each extra box whether dvr or receiver.

I thought you were going to move the Genie and other boxes back and forth. Since you can only have one Genie on an account, you can't get another one authorized on it. I would get the same setup and just move the boxes.

Hi - noobie here! The title sounds ominous, but NO theft of service considered. Here's my deal- live in NJ, main home and shore home. Have DirectV in my shore place with the Genie and two other 'boxes'. $100 or so a month for a place we visit every other month is a little steep. Was thinking of buying a dish for the main place, canceling FIOS and schlepping the boxes down to the shore place each time. Got to be an easier way. There would not be any time when TV would be watched at the same time. I have heard as long as this is true it is permitted. Can I order extra equipment and have it installed in the main place and if so what equipment? All tv's are HD. Sorry if this is a dumb question.

Thank You

When he said "There has to be an easier way"
I presumed he decided to get ones to leave at the other location ....

Irish,
Another option would be to order a HR24 from D, have them install it at your place your already using D* service ...
This would be SWM compatable as your Genie only works with SWM set ups.

Once this is done and completed, purchase a SWM set up, just about anywhere, take that to the other location, set up the dish and take the HR24 they just installed to the other location.
The dish would then be the same at both locations so you wouldn't have any issues going from one place to the other and you could leave the HR24 there if you wanted too, or bring it home, either way.

Chip is correct, only 1 Genie per account, so you won't or want get a genie for the other location.

I wasn't sure what he meant by that Jimbo. Irish, can you clear it up?

Hey guys - many thanks. Just checked my account and I have a HR34-700 and two C31-700's at the shore place. All I really need at the shore place is three basic HD receivers. Would ideally like the DVR at the main place (Kids!) and maybe 3 or 4 receivers. So it looks like maybe bringing the shore stuff to the main place and adding maybe one or two C31's and then getting basic equipment to replace the three shore units. Course I will need a dish etc for main place too!

I wasn't sure what he meant by that Jimbo. Irish, can you clear it up?

Sorry! Meant easier way than unplugging the boxes and bringing them back home every few weeks. Don't mind leasing extra boxes at all. Probably would only cost maybe $30 a month for 4? As opposed to a whole other account

Jumbo / Chip - thank you very much for walking mebthrough this. So here's my plan:

Remove the genie and two clients from shore place and put in main house
Order two additional clients for main house
Order three basic HD receivers (HR24?) for shore place
Install new dish at main house and connect genie + clients
Install shore place units (HR24)

I guess I would call Directtv and order the boxes and they will add them to my bill each month.

Thanks gents

Why not just "move" your equipment from your shore house to your main house,& then Directv can install a dish to your main house. Next,go ahead & order a HR24 DVR & either a H25(if you have SWM at your shore house) or a H24(if you don't) receiver & then have them installed & activated at your main house. Then you can take them to your shore house to use.

Last edited:
Why not just "move" your equipment from your shore house to your main house,& then Directv can install a dish to your main house. Next,go ahead & order a HR24 DVR & either a H25(if you have Santa your shore house) or a H24(if you don't) receiver & then have them installed & activated at your main house. Then you can take them to your shore house to use.

Yep, OP should MOVE not "move" lol. That way he'll get a free dish installed where he needs it and the other dish will be left and there where he needs it.

I would order H24's online, they're a lot more versatile than the H25 as they will work with either dish type and also have component output without the need for a break out cable and also have built in RF remote support and look nicer with the flat touch front and they are also wall mountable.

Why not just "move" your equipment from your shore house to your main house,& then Directv can install a dish to your main house. Next,go ahead & order a HR24 DVR & either a H25(if you have SWM at your shore house) or a H24(if you don't) receiver & then have them installed & activated at your main house. Then you can take them to your shore house to use.

And that's SWM,not Santa(damn Kindle Fire spell check).

Dont ya just love it when the computer THINKS it knows what your trying to type .... I turn that stuff off if possible.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Yep, OP should MOVE not "move" lol. That way he'll get a free dish installed where he needs it and the other dish will be left and there where he needs it.

I would order H24's online, they're a lot more versatile than the H25 as they will work with either dish type and also have component output without the need for a break out cable and also have built in RF remote support and look nicer with the flat touch front and they are also wall mountable.

great idea! Never thought about the move! So just order a few H24's online for shore place. I thought I read earlier where I had to lease em?

great idea! Never thought about the move! So just order a few H24's online for shore place. I thought I read earlier where I had to lease em?

Yes, they will be leased, the $99 each is the "down payment" or "lease fee" however you want to look at it.

http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.as...dy-(H24)&c=DIRECTV Receivers&sku=185463000504

SolidSignal gave me problems using a visa gift card to get my H24, so mine came from RoxSat but it appears RoxSat no longer carries H24's, only H25's now. I will admit the H25 GUI is a little bit more responsive than the H24 but that is the only advantage I see.

H25_H24.jpg
H25_H24_YN.gif

Last edited:
Yes, they will be leased, the $99 each is the "down payment" or "lease fee" however you want to look at it.

http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.as...dy-(H24)&c=DIRECTV Receivers&sku=185463000504

SolidSignal gave me problems using a visa gift card to get my H24, so mine came from RoxSat but it appears RoxSat no longer carries H24's, only H25's now. I will admit the H25 GUI is a little bit more responsive than the H24 but that is the only advantage I see.

H25_H24.jpg
H25_H24_YN.gif

Tell whoever you deal with, with the Visa gift cards that it is a Credit Card, not a Debt card ... if they run it as a debt card, they often have issues.

If you don't need a DVR for your shore house,then yes,order 3 H24 receivers. But I suggest that you order them & get them activated at your main house,then move them to your shore house. Don't get "cute" with what you order,A regular SWM LNB can handle up to 8 tuners,with the Genie counting for 5 tuners,& 3 receivers counting for 1 tuner each,or if you order a DVR(2 tuners) & a receiver(1 tuner) & make the 8 tuner limit. Because they'll think that you are ordering these for your main house,any number above the 8 tuner limit for SWM LNB will require them to replace the SWM LNB(at your main house) & install a regular 4 cable LNB & a SWM-16 multi-switch. This is all based on the premise of you ordering the extra receivers AFTER you get your Genie & Clients installed & up & running at your main home.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)