Two Hopper Installs are part of the 2 Percent

We would also be in the 2% club,would have to have 2 hoppers and 3 joeys minimum.

Yes, and I hope they definitely are listening, because that is one of the most arbitrarily ridiculous "rules" I have ever seen a business put in place. Seriously, do they even watch TV? I don't see how they could possibly think 3 tuners is any shape or form of a "whole-home" solution.

The reason only 2% have multiple Hoppers is that is the non-tech-savvy folks who simply listen to what an uninformed Dish CSR tells them they need. If a true needs analysis were done with each person, I'm sure a lot more would have multiple Hoppers (and probably be a whole lot happier with their equipment). They just think they can record six things at once so they should be fine. Until reality sets in later when all the tuner conflicts begin. That's a sure-fire way to disappoint a lot of people with their new equipment and send them off to the competition where they can get many more tuners.

Hopper/Joey is a great concept, I have no idea why they are so intent on handicapping it in that way. :confused:

I would bet the $199 upfront cost on the second hopper is the biggest factor in the 1 hopper selection. But, the average household has less than 3 TVs (2.86), the free hopper is probably enough to satisfy. I wonder what percentage of Dish households just had 1 722 (or other 2 TV box) and are perfectly happy? I would be it would be a shocking large percentage.

18% of households have 1 TV set
28% have 2 TV sets

So, 46% of households have at least 1 tuner to spare on the hopper...

More than Half the Homes in U.S. Have Three or More TVs | Nielsen Wire

I would bet the $199 upfront cost on the second hopper is the biggest factor in the 1 hopper selection. But, the average household has less than 3 TVs (2.86), the free hopper is probably enough to satisfy. I wonder what percentage of Dish households just had 1 722 (or other 2 TV box) and are perfectly happy? I would be it would be a shocking large percentage.

Never in my life have I seen 2.86 tvs!:D Why didn't they round that figure off to 3?

yes. I don't see why you couldn't return all the extra joeys whether it's 1 or 2 hoppers.

Dish doesn't mandate a policy of how many receivers you have to "keep" on your account as far as I am aware. It's only in the initial install/upgrade where they have a business rule.

Interesting. I got 2 Hoppers and 0 Joeys on my install but the CSR apparently took my "I want two Hoppers" as "I want a Hopper and a Joey". I even had her repeat the order and she said "two Hoppers". When the installer arrived it was the Hopper/Joey set up. He called customer service and and after I ponied up the additional $$$, I got just the two Hoppers I wanted. But I agree, adding a Joey to what I actually wanted would have annoyed me. I would have done it, though.

I wouldn't do 2H 0J until integration is in place, otherwise the content between both Hoppers is completely separate. If you had at least 1 Joey in your config, you could at least access content from either Hopper from that Joey.

18% of households have 1 TV set
28% have 2 TV sets

So, 46% of households have at least 1 tuner to spare on the hopper...

More than Half the Homes in U.S. Have Three or More TVs | Nielsen Wire

I appreciate that information, Mike...and I don't argue with it at all. However, I would simply like to point out that 46% of households do not have a "spare" tuner, unless by that logic it is expected that everyone is restricted to one tuner at a time. What about all those nights where I want to watch a ballgame live and DVR another show, but my wife wants to DVR a show, and my son wants to watch his ballgame (a different one) live and tape another (none of these on PTAT channels)...all at the same time?

See...number of tuners is not "enough" just because it is equal to (or greater than) number of people or number of TVs...that is my problem with this "whole home" solution not allowing another Hopper in lieu of another Joey. Number of tuners is enough when there are no conflicts for tuners. Pure and simple.

To be honest, if some people lived alone with only one TV in their house, there are nights when three tuners might just barely cover their needs. Not everyone is happy restricting every individual in the home to one tuner.

Plus Dish is trying to sell one Hopper and three Joeys by default when there are 4 TVs in the home without even determining if that is enough for the needs of that home. Plain bad business approach by Dish...and I think time will tell that with the number of people who become dissatisfied with the service/equipment due to something so simple to prevent. Yes, one Hopper will be enough for a lot of homes...but why wouldn't Dish want to make sure EVERY home could get the configuration they need to be happy? Within technology limitations of course.

I'm a huge fan of Dish...just don't believe this is a good decision at all.

2 hoppers and 1 joey here. I wanted to have the ability to swap between turners and keep the buffers on 2 tvs like I had with the HRs. If I could not have gotten 2 hoppers I would not have switched. I was very lucky to get a CSR who allowed me to order 2H/1J the first day. I am very happy I switched and happy with the hopper and its only going to get better with the upcoming upgrades. I also believe the numbers are down because it is so hard to order a 2 hopper setup of any kind.

Well to be fair Prime Time anytime can make up for the time when most people will have tuner conflicts. I don't know about everyone else, but Prime Time on the local networks is the time when I need the most tuners.

However it's pretty lame that Dish keeps telling everyone they can record "up to" 6 as if a single Hopper can do that at any time.

At our retail shop we have an average of 40% of H/J being dual Hopper. I stress to people that there should never be more TVs than tuners and at least 1.5 tuners per person. 3rd TV is usually an extra Hopper around here. Havent had anyone freakout because of the cost of a second Hopper, positioning is everything.

Well to be fair Prime Time anytime can make up for the time when most people will have tuner conflicts. I don't know about everyone else, but Prime Time on the local networks is the time when I need the most tuners.

However it's pretty lame that Dish keeps telling everyone they can record "up to" 6 as if a single Hopper can do that at any time.

Agreed that PTAT is a wonderful tool to help avoid tuner conflicts...no doubt about that. But when only 4 of 250+ channels (1% to maybe 4% of your total viewing options depending on your package) fall into that category, I agree with you that the "record up to 6" is misleading a lot of people who don't know better. For those of us here, we understand what it means. By watching a commercial, you very well may not understand what you signed up for until it is too late. I am not in the camp of some others who claim it is false advertising, I just feel that people aren't being offered proper solutions for their viewing needs.

Plus a lot of homes simply don't watch much, if any, network TV. My home being one of them. I think we DVR about 3 or 4 shows a week that would be PTAT, otherwise it all falls outside PTAT. In fairness, I know the large networks have the most viewing numbers during prime-time, I cannot argue that fact. My only point is the one Hopper home is not a solution for the viewing needs of all families. The solution is simple (add another Hopper) but Dish doesn't seem to care about offering the right solution.

Dish simply needs to realize that if a home needs more than one Hopper (no matter the number of Joeys) then that home should be allowed to have a second one. Happy customers = retention and higher revenue.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)