Two Hoppers one Joey not allowed.

Rdeejr

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 21, 2011
Santa Fe
I sent Matt with Dirt a message asking about upgrading to hopper.

I asked for two hoppers and one Joey. He said I could get two hoppers and two joeys or one hopper and two Joeys but they could not allow two hoppers and one Joey.

I replied that I currently have one 722 and two 612's for six tuners and three tv's so going to one hopper and two joeys was not an option as this would cut me to three tuners. I also said that two hoppers and two joeys would not work as I only have three tv's.

He then replied that I could go to a retailer as there is nothing he could do.

What is wrong with dish? Do they have too much business? I don't get it.

It sounds like Dish wants a minimum return on the Hopper/Joey system, and this minimum Joey requirement seems to be for economies. The pattern for Dish has been to have restrictions with new--and expensive--systems, then after a year or so, remove restrictions. I think they want that extra $7 per month at this early stage of the Hopper.

Order two hoppers and two joeys. When the installer arrives to install, refuse the second joey. I have heard of many people doing it that way.

For me, I have two hoppers and a joey, so I know for a fact that you can get it that way. Of course in my case, I had one hopper and two joeys, and did an upgrade on one to get to my current setup.

Same here, two Hoppers and a Joey, when I spoke to Dish I discussed my concerns with two joeys and tuners and also my concern that if my one hopper stopped working I would be unable to watch TV.

coinmaster32 said:
I have two hoppers and no joeys. They have to add the joeys, then deactivate them.

I got two hoppers and no joeys from a local retailer with no problems at all

I made the request to two dirt members and they were no able to help me

Don't mean to derail this, but is there still a restriction on having a Hopper and a 211? Ihave a lot recorded on my 211k EHD that I wouldn't want to lose.

Last edited:
Don't mean to derail this, but is there still a restriction on having a Hopper and a 211? Ihave a lot recorded on my 211 EHD that I wouldn't want to lose.

No. The latest is you can have ONE 211/211k/411 (and maybe 222 but I can't remember).

yaz96 said:
Don't mean to derail this, but is there still a restriction on having a Hopper and a 211? Ihave a lot recorded on my 211 EHD that I wouldn't want to lose.

You can have one 211 on the account with a hopper since people use them for raving or tailgating,but I'm it sure if there are any other requirements in order to have that. A 222 is not allowed, 211/211k/411 only.

Order two hoppers and two joeys. When the installer arrives to install, refuse the second joey. I have heard of many people doing it that way.
I recall suggesting that to people wanting similar setups when the H/J was first available and Dish wouldn't allow them to be ordered that way. As no one had gotten either a Hopper or Joey at that point, no one could say it would work, but some retailers and installers suggested it definitely could work.

I just had my Dish setup installed not to long ago. I ordered the 2 Hopper 1 Joey when I only wanted 2 Hoppers. When my installer came out I told him I really didn't want the Joey. He said that's cool. Then he called Dish and had the Joey taken off the work order. He said he's done that a few times. So now I have just the 2 Hoppers and no Joeys. So it can be done.

Don't mean to derail this, but is there still a restriction on having a Hopper and a 211? Ihave a lot recorded on my 211k EHD that I wouldn't want to lose.
The 211 EHD would not be compatible with the Hopper just like it is not with the 622/722...etc, VIP receivers. 211 can not be used at home with Hopper.

iwannarock1 said:
Yes it can, it would need to be connected to a separate dish than the one that is connected to the hopper. But you would still need to buy a tailgater for them to ALLOW a 211/211k/411 on your account with a hopper.

Or add a switch.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using SatelliteGuys

iwannarock1 said:
Yes it can, it would need to be connected to a separate dish than the one that is connected to the hopper. But you would still need to buy a tailgater for them to ALLOW a 211/211k/411 on your account with a hopper.

You do NOT need to actually buy the tailgater, you can use any dish. Its the 211 you have to buy, it cannot be leased.

Sent from my DROIDX

So, you can't use the 211k at home? Is that what I'm reading?

According to Dish, no. Technically it can be done. As stated before you could use another dish antenna on the house or put a switch in. Dish will not do this for you since it is not allowed according to their business rules.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts