Two locations for one receiver?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Cruise J.D.

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 19, 2012
South
We have a 211k receiver in the master bedroom. My wife and I have talked about setting up a TV on the back patio. We would like HD content and access to our Dish programming. I have explored various options for doing this and there are positive and negatives for each of them (splitting the HDMI from the 722k in the living room, using wireless HDMI, etc.). We do not want to add another receiver.

Would there be any problem with running an extra coax cable from the satellite location to the back patio and using the same satellite connection that the coax running to the master bedroom uses? When we want to watch TV outside, I would just "unplug" the master bedroom coax and "plug in" the back patio coax and carry the 211k outside and hook it up at the back patio. Any reason this would not work?

I like this option because it would be easy to run the coax outside around the house and the signal would be independent of the living room TV. I don't have an easy way to run HDMI to the back patio from the 722k.

Does that 211 have multiple HD outputs ? Been a couple of years since I've messed with one.

It would depend on the distance from your bedroom to porch,but you could do what I did with my 722.I ran the main tv off of HDMI and a tv on front porch through component cables.I picked up a 50ft set online pretty cheap.

Does that 211 have multiple HD outputs ? Been a couple of years since I've messed with one.

It would depend on the distance from your bedroom to porch,but you could do what I did with my 722.I ran the main tv off of HDMI and a tv on front porch through component cables.I picked up a 50ft set online pretty cheap.

No, it just has one HD output. It would be even harder for me to run a connection from the 211 than it would be the 722. Both would require either going through a brick wall or using the attic. I've already got a hole in the top plate in the attic for access to the 722, but running HDMI would require me to buy an HD splitter, 30' of HDMI cable, UHF for the remote, etc.

Using the 211 would require an easy run of coax, but would provide an independent signal and a little more work each time we watched TV out there. As I said, there are trade-offs to all of my options.

Any way you could just run a wire from the dish itself to the patio? You should have a 3rd output on the dish. That was its a simple as just relocating the receiver each time.

Maybe that's what you were intending and I misunderstood but it sounds like you were planning on running the wire from the bedroom to the patio.

Any way you could just run a wire from the dish itself to the patio? You should have a 3rd output on the dish. That was its a simple as just relocating the receiver each time.

Maybe that's what you were intending and I misunderstood but it sounds like you were planning on running the wire from the bedroom to the patio.

That is basically what I am doing. The coax to the bedroom comes outside and is attached to a device (I can't remember what it is. It may be a switch) which is connected to the Dish by coax. I was going to run another line of coax from that same point to the back patio and just switch the coax connections when we watched TV outside. This will be an easy outside run.

The switching would be easier if I could find an A/B switch that does this. All of the A/B switches I've found are 2 input/1 output. Can I use an A/B switch in reverse? That way I could just flick the switch to change the output path.

Are you saying I should be able to connect directly to the Dish and not worry about switching?

Last edited:
Would there be any problem with running an extra coax cable from the satellite location to the back patio and using the same satellite connection that the coax running to the master bedroom uses? When we want to watch TV outside, I would just "unplug" the master bedroom coax and "plug in" the back patio coax and carry the 211k outside and hook it up at the back patio. Any reason this would not work?

You know, I thought he was suggesting running a coax from the dish to the patio but I can see that you may be right. Dish to patio makes more sense because all that would need to be done is to move the 211 outside and hook it up to that coax and off he goes....

I was editing my original post while you were replying aaron. So this was the edit:

You know, I thought he was suggesting running a coax from the dish to the patio but I can see that you may be right. Dish to patio makes more sense because all that would need to be done is to move the 211 outside and hook it up to that coax and off he goes....

No, it just has one HD output. It would be even harder for me to run a connection from the 211 than it would be the 722. Both would require either going through a brick wall or using the attic. I've already got a hole in the top plate in the attic for access to the 722, but running HDMI would require me to buy an HD splitter, 30' of HDMI cable, UHF for the remote, etc.

Using the 211 would require an easy run of coax, but would provide an independent signal and a little more work each time we watched TV out there. As I said, there are trade-offs to all of my options.

The 211 does have 2 HD outputs, HDMI sends the HD out as a digital signal, component sends the HD out as an analog signal. Both are always active.

That is basically what I am doing. The coax to the bedroom comes outside and is attached to a device (I can't remember what it is. It may be a switch) which is connected to the Dish by coax. I was going to run another line of coax from that same point to the back patio and just switch the coax connections when we watched TV outside. This will be an easy outside run.

The switching would be easier if I could find an A/B switch that does this. All of the A/B switches I've found are 2 input/1 output. Can I use an A/B switch in reverse? That way I could just flick the switch to change the output path.

Are you saying I should be able to connect directly to the Dish and not worry about switching?

If you are not using both coax lines at the same time, a simple splitter would work there as well. An A/B switch wired in reverse would work, but you would need to flip the switch every time you move the receiver. Most HD dishes have three outputs or if a DPP switch is part of the setup should have four, unless it is an old setup, you may have an output available negating the need for a splitter or A/B switch.

If you are not using both coax lines at the same time, a simple splitter would work there as well. An A/B switch wired in reverse would work, but you would need to flip the switch every time you move the receiver. Most HD dishes have three outputs or if a DPP switch is part of the setup should have four, unless it is an old setup, you may have an output available negating the need for a splitter or A/B switch.

Ok. I wasn't sure about using a simple splitter. I didn't want to mess the signal up. I have one I'm not using. That would make it a lot easier.

The set up was done about 6 months ago. They ran two lines from the Dish. Assuming there is a 3rd output, is it as simple as hooking the coax to the patio up to it? Thanks!

Ok. I wasn't sure about using a simple splitter. I didn't want to mess the signal up. I have one I'm not using. That would make it a lot easier.

The set up was done about 6 months ago. They ran two lines from the Dish. Assuming there is a 3rd output, is it as simple as hooking the coax to the patio up to it? Thanks!

Yes, just run a piece of RG6 from that 3rd output to the patio.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts