Two motors, one reciever?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

SatAdam

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 2, 2006
Is it possible to run 2 USALS or DiSEqC motors off one reciever?

not really...

is it possible? yes
is it practical-not really

You would have to set up one motor to only get satellites A,B,C,D and the other to get E,F,G,H...you can't have both motors hit the same satellite due to the setups.

Can I ask why you'd want to do that? I've seen 2 motorized setups with 2 recievers but not 2 motorized on one receiver?

I just thought it would be neat to have multiple dishes move at the same time... the "Big Dish Farm" effect ;)

Iceberg said:
Can I ask why you'd want to do that? I've seen 2 motorized setups with 2 recievers but not 2 motorized on one receiver?

I used to have 2 motorized on one receiver. One was for a C Band and the other for 1 meter Ku. My receiver had a 0/12 volt option and I set it up so that C Band was 0 volt and Ku was 12 volt. I gave it to my son when I became a full time Rver.

Chuck

Actually, I was thinking about 2 motorized KU dishes just this afternoon. Where my dish is located, I get everything to the west, but nothing east of 61... and since the leaves have come out on a huge tree, I don't get 61.

If I put a second dish in the backyard, it would have a good shot to the east, but that's about all it would get because of the same tree.

But I was thinking of using two receivers, not one.

two motorized setups (2 receivers) works great. Thats what I did for a while. Allowed me to keep one dish on a satellite while I scanned the others

Two motors on one receiver might work well with one of those dual-tuner receivers like the Pansat 6000, since that's really like two receivers in one.

Tron
The only issue is you are limited on what satellite you can see. I tried that with my 6000. When you set it up, you can set it up for tuner 1&2, 1 only or 2 only. So I could set up tuner 1 as IA5-IA7 and tuner 2 from G3-Amazonas which saves wear and tear on the motor but you could only watch one show from a satellite this way (since the tuners do not overlap)

yes its two units in one but if you are watching a program (or recording it) you cant motor to another satellite (on either motor). Thats why I got rid of mine. Its two units in one but very limited on what it can do. I wanted to watch a satellite while I scanned another satellite. Only way to do it is with 2 receivers :)

Most DVB MPEG2 receivers IF Inputs are rated 300 - 500ma. Placing two motors on a receiver running simultaneously plus an LNBF would exceed the rating. I can't even count the number of receivers that our technicans have replaced blown voltage regulators .... HUNDREDS! If it weren't for blown voltage regulators, we might have a few less techs working our benches.

Receivers are protected against short circuits, but repeated high current draws are the number one killer of DVBS receivers. We normally replace the standard VR with a higher rated unit to make sure the receiver doesn't come back to the shop for a blown regulator.

Iceberg said:
Tron
The only issue is you are limited on what satellite you can see. I tried that with my 6000. When you set it up, you can set it up for tuner 1&2, 1 only or 2 only. So I could set up tuner 1 as IA5-IA7 and tuner 2 from G3-Amazonas which saves wear and tear on the motor but you could only watch one show from a satellite this way (since the tuners do not overlap)

yes its two units in one but if you are watching a program (or recording it) you cant motor to another satellite (on either motor). Thats why I got rid of mine. Its two units in one but very limited on what it can do. I wanted to watch a satellite while I scanned another satellite. Only way to do it is with 2 receivers :)
Good to know, Iceberg, thanks! I really wanted a 6000 a couple of months ago, but decided to go for building a HTPC instead :)

SatelliteAV said:
Most DVB MPEG2 receivers IF Inputs are rated 300 - 500ma. Placing two motors on a receiver running simultaneously plus an LNBF would exceed the rating. I can't even count the number of receivers that our technicans have replaced blown voltage regulators .... HUNDREDS! If it weren't for blown voltage regulators, we might have a few less techs working our benches.

Receivers are protected against short circuits, but repeated high current draws are the number one killer of DVBS receivers. We normally replace the standard VR with a higher rated unit to make sure the receiver doesn't come back to the shop for a blown regulator.

So, what do you think is the reason for these rcvr blow outs? Do you have a lot of customers with two motors? I am just curious !?!?

My uneducated guess would be the blown Voltage Regulators are caused by connecting unpowered multi-switches to multiple LNBFs, DishPro Plus LNBFs and motors..... We are factory repair center for several satellite equipment suppliers and this problem affects all brands and models of receivers since most use the same 500ma rated VR IC.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)