Two questions...

edisonprime

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 12, 2012
Okay if I ever go back to DirecTV I have two questions...

1. (For those with 3D TVs.) First off, of course I know the 3D channels have been gone forever, but does DirecTV still offer 3D pay-per-view? (I believe it was channel 103 when I had DirecTV a long time ago.)

2. Is "moving" achievable at all these days? Have any of you succeeded in doing so?

Edit: Question #3. I'm assuming there's still the 4K and 4K HDR exclusive channels, right?

Just to verify, you do have a 3D capable TV right? When I had DirecTV and went from a 2D TV to a 3D TV the 3D channels didn't appear in my guide until that happened. Just double checking and I would love to see that 3D pay-per-view station still there.

Anyways, no one's answered about "moving" and I'm curious on that.

It's my understanding that they require a tech visit when you move. I don't know if it's a hard and fast situation, but I have read numerous posts about it.

I think 3d died . There is one 3d tv i have but the guide only shows the the 4k channels ... not 3d.

I think the only way to view 3d is via a 3d movie player and 3d disks.

I could be wrong

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I think 3d died . There is one 3d tv i have but the guide only shows the the 4k channels ... not 3d.

I could be wrong

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
I do know there's 3D on YouTube. My two favorite 3D YouTube channels are 3DN3D and 3D 'n' Play. But there's some others as well.

My 3DTV's 3D function stopped working a while back.

What does that have to do with what we're talking about? I wasn't asking if anyone's 3D TV was working, I was asking if the feature was still included on DirecTV boxes. But since we're going off subject, my advice is to find a good tech that can fix it (don't do Geek Squad, they suck). Or find a good used or refurbished 3D TV model. You can find plenty on eBay that will even ship to you. Or you can get a 3D projector, and those are still available new.

3D is long dead, it was a gimmick that tried to be a fad and didn't even make it that far. It was a massive failure. It will be back in another 20 - 25 years in some other iteration but I wouldn't spend more than a dime on it these days.

I say this as some one who had high hopes for 3D and spent a lot of money on it. in 2011 spent $2000 on a 3DTV, $250 on a 3D Blu Ray Player, $1500 on an A/V Receiver capable of 3D pass though. I hate video games with a passion but bought an Xbox 360 which could play games in 3D like one of the Call of Duty's. I bought 30+ movies on Blu Ray in 3D, many of which were over $30 a pop. I paid well over $100 to someone on eBay for the (at the time) Panasonic exclusive, Avatar in 3D. Outside of the TV world, also bought the HTC Evo 3D smartphone and an HP laptop with a 3D display.

The few 3D channels DirecTV carried were basically filler content. Once ESPN shut down their 3D channel, I knew linear 3D was dead. Time Warner Cable had a couple 3D special event channels, the 2011 NHL Heritage Classic was probably some of the best 3D I ever saw. For a period of time they also had HBO 3D and Starz 3D On Demand, but neither of those lasted more than a couple of years.

I haven't watched a 3D movie in probably 8 years now. Just dug out my 3D glasses (the second generation glasses I spent even more money on) and have them charging. I'll either pop in Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs or Tintin and see what it's like almost a decade later.

3D is long dead, it was a gimmick that tried to be a fad and didn't even make it that far. It was a massive failure. It will be back in another 20 - 25 years in some other iteration but I wouldn't spend more than a dime on it these days.

I say this as some one who had high hopes for 3D and spent a lot of money on it. in 2011 spent $2000 on a 3DTV, $250 on a 3D Blu Ray Player, $1500 on an A/V Receiver capable of 3D pass though. I hate video games with a passion but bought an Xbox 360 which could play games in 3D like one of the Call of Duty's. I bought 30+ movies on Blu Ray in 3D, many of which were over $30 a pop. I paid well over $100 to someone on eBay for the (at the time) Panasonic exclusive, Avatar in 3D. Outside of the TV world, also bought the HTC Evo 3D smartphone and an HP laptop with a 3D display.

The few 3D channels DirecTV carried were basically filler content. Once ESPN shut down their 3D channel, I knew linear 3D was dead. Time Warner Cable had a couple 3D special event channels, the 2011 NHL Heritage Classic was probably some of the best 3D I ever saw. For a period of time they also had HBO 3D and Starz 3D On Demand, but neither of those lasted more than a couple of years.

I haven't watched a 3D movie in probably 8 years now. Just dug out my 3D glasses (the second generation glasses I spent even more money on) and have them charging. I'll either pop in Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs or Tintin and see what it's like almost a decade later.
Nice try, but I don't go by what's popular. I go by what I like. An example would be why I don't care if a movie I like, other's don't. For example, I liked Green Lantern.

• Wow
Reactions: mdonnelly
A PC with a compatible ATI video card and PowerDVD can do it. The VUDU app used to have 3D content. I've heard PLEX can sometimes do it if set up right.
Ya I think the main issue was the glasses and the flicker. Once a mainstream glasses free technology comes about it will be back, probably in the form of holographic TV.
What does that have to do with what we're talking about?
I didn't mean to hijack, this is just the first time Ive seen 3D mentioned in years so I thought I'd see if anyone has any suggestions. I think my first step should be to obtain new glasses to be sure they're not the problem. They were in a storage unit for about a year and it got hot enough in there to damage the LCD on my favorite scientific calculator so the heat may have damaged the LCD shutterglasses.

Nice try for what?
I'm just simply saying I don't care if it's popular. I like it. There are political and religious friends of mine that say that I should or shouldn't enjoy something, but I think for myself. Many people say I shouldn't enjoy the Star Wars Prequel Trilogy or the Star Wars Sequel Trilogy, but I like them. Too many people piss and moan about stupid stuff when they really could think for themselves and allow themselves to enjoy something despite what other people think.

Dude, you're reading waaaaaaaaay too much into what I posted.

I wanted 3D to be successful, I wanted it to be mainstream. But it was neither successful or mainstream. It was a failure, accept it and move on. I invested over $5000 into my TV set up, plus my $3K laptop.

The fact is 3D was a massive flop due to it's lack of popularity. It was not popular due to a number of reasons:
- The glasses
- The flicker and dim picture for active 3D
- Eye strain and other eye issues, including people with depth perception problems
- Cost of the media
- The cost of glasses if you have active 3D
- Lack of compelling content outside of some big name movies

The amount of new 3D content is nil. Sure you can enjoy the 3D content you have in your possession now, but when the TV dies or your BD player dies, expect to search for ones on the secondary market. Eventually the choices will be limited even on the used market and you'll be SOL.

And in some ways you should care about popularity. This is all chicken and egg. I'm not saying make decisions based on popularity, I'm saying be concerned about it. If something does not sell well, it will be pulled off the market and it will go the way of the dodo making new content and replacement components difficult to acquire. I have a 5 disc SACD changer what major albums have been released on SACD lately? The DVD-A/SACD format war was halted due to digital downloadable music. Why? Because the masses didn't care about multi-channel high quality audio on physical media and both formats died. Something similar can be said for 3D. When you invest into a niche technology that didn't last for a long period of time, don't expect to be able to use it forever.

Dude, you're reading waaaaaaaaay too much into what I posted.

I wanted 3D to be successful, I wanted it to be mainstream. But it was neither successful or mainstream. It was a failure, accept it and move on. I invested over $5000 into my TV set up, plus my $3K laptop.

The fact is 3D was a massive flop due to it's lack of popularity. It was not popular due to a number of reasons:
- The glasses
- The flicker and dim picture for active 3D
- Eye strain and other eye issues, including people with depth perception problems
- Cost of the media
- The cost of glasses if you have active 3D
- Lack of compelling content outside of some big name movies

The amount of new 3D content is nil. Sure you can enjoy the 3D content you have in your possession now, but when the TV dies or your BD player dies, expect to search for ones on the secondary market. Eventually the choices will be limited even on the used market and you'll be SOL.

And in some ways you should care about popularity. This is all chicken and egg. I'm not saying make decisions based on popularity, I'm saying be concerned about it. If something does not sell well, it will be pulled off the market and it will go the way of the dodo making new content and replacement components difficult to acquire. I have a 5 disc SACD changer what major albums have been released on SACD lately? The DVD-A/SACD format war was halted due to digital downloadable music. Why? Because the masses didn't care about multi-channel high quality audio on physical media and both formats died. Something similar can be said for 3D. When you invest into a niche technology that didn't last for a long period of time, don't expect to be able to use it forever.
I don't know about that. I've read several articles about holographic TVs. The current 3D could be easily transferred to holograms, and the holographic standard itself could provide something even better. And they provide something like 45 angles? Note: I am not saying that old forms of 3D could make multiple angles. The fact is is that 3D often comes briefly then goes away for a while, then comes back briefly again. There's no reason they can't convert the 3D from past eras to modern technology. They did that for "Jaws 3-D" on Blu-ray 3D when you get the "Jaws 3" Blu-ray you can find the 3D version in the special features. Remember, "Jaws 3-D" was shot in anaglyph red/cyan 3D, but now was converted to stereoscopic 3D in which you could use either active shutter 3D or passive 3D. And for technology not lasting over time, I have a decades old CRT TV and a decades old laserdisc player, a Sony PlayStation model 1001 and even an NES and if I take good care of them, they could last quite a while. And even if a technology won't last that long, there's no reason we can't enjoy them while they're around. Just because something's obsolete doesn't mean we can't enjoy it anymore. Goodness, look at all the stuff the Angry Video Game Nerd has! I actually happen to love old technology. Heck, I wouldn't even mind getting a black-and--white TV someday.