two receivers: one motor; possible?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

quasimodem

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 30, 2009
Marlow, New Hampshire
I'm getting ready to install a new setup.
(39"x36" Hotdish, Invacom QPH031 lnb, SG6000 motor, 2-Viewsat Ultras)
I have one stb upstairs and one downstairs. They are currently "wired" to a 20" dish with quad lnb, connected with two 4:1 DiSeQC switches.
When I add the Hotdish, I will put one circular and one linear lead from the Invacom to the remaining 2 ports of each DiSeQC. (once I have everything up and running, I may remove the 20" dish).
Now, I realise that I can't expect to run both receivers at the same time with the motor. My wife and I watch TV together in the afternoon and at night.
She's disabled and sleeps alone, so I go downstairs after she is asleep to sometimes watch a bit more TV.
I would like to be able to move the dish at that time (after the upstairs receiver is off). I had the thought to make sure I return the dish to the satellite that the downstairs stb is set to, to avoid confusing the motor.
My question is, is there a switch that I could use (at the motor) that wouldn't require me to manually switch the signal from the receivers (as with an AB coax switch)? This would let me use the shortest amount of coax.
Would a 2:1 DiSeQC work? or would an sw21 do the trick? will my Viewsat be able to "read" both types of switches, or do I need to keep the switch a DiSeQC?
thanks
~Q

yes but only one receiver can move the motor.

Actually you could insert dual power passing diplexers into the downleads to each receiver (the 950-2150 port goes to the DiSEqC switch and the common port goes to the receiver). You then run cables from both low frequency diplexer ports (UHF/VHF or something like 5-900 MHz) to a dual power passing splitter which combines the receiver commands. The "output" port of the splitter then goes on a dedicated coax to the motor. Motor commanding should work fine if only one receiver is on at a time.

I wrote about a more complicated variation with a hand-drawn diagram in the following post:

http://www.satelliteguys.us/free-ai...tem-structure-optimization-3.html#post1908479

It's imperative that both the splitters and the diplexers pass power on both "input" ports. That's pretty common for splitters, but you have to be careful with diplexers, as most pass power on only one part. I've used the Perfect Vision PVDP-2PP diplexer and it works fine. The total parts cost should be around $10.

Here's a diagram for what you asked.

Attachments

• Dual Receiver - One Motor.pdf
    14 KB · Views: 338
Remote Control Extender

If both receivers are the same, you could use a universal remote control extender.

I have two receivers that use the same remote. I haven't tried it yet, but it looks like it would work. Both receivers would have to be on, but I could move my motor by controlling the living room box from the bedroom.

been using a old rca A/b switch for about a year with no problems and both coolsats move the motor ,but they say it might damage the rec.so
use at your on risk

Attachments

• 1810668.jpg
    1810668.jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 196
Last edited:
I'm getting ready to install a new setup.
(39"x36" Hotdish, Invacom QPH031 lnb, SG6000 motor, 2-Viewsat Ultras)
I have one stb upstairs and one downstairs. They are currently "wired" to a 20" dish with quad lnb, connected with two 4:1 DiSeQC switches.
When I add the Hotdish, I will put one circular and one linear lead from the Invacom to the remaining 2 ports of each DiSeQC. (once I have everything up and running, I may remove the 20" dish).
Now, I realise that I can't expect to run both receivers at the same time with the motor. My wife and I watch TV together in the afternoon and at night.
She's disabled and sleeps alone, so I go downstairs after she is asleep to sometimes watch a bit more TV.
I would like to be able to move the dish at that time (after the upstairs receiver is off). I had the thought to make sure I return the dish to the satellite that the downstairs stb is set to, to avoid confusing the motor.
My question is, is there a switch that I could use (at the motor) that wouldn't require me to manually switch the signal from the receivers (as with an AB coax switch)? This would let me use the shortest amount of coax.
Would a 2:1 DiSeQC work? or would an sw21 do the trick? will my Viewsat be able to "read" both types of switches, or do I need to keep the switch a DiSeQC?
thanks
~Q

yes but only one receiver can move the motor.

This confuses me. A 2X1 DisEqC or SW21 has two inputs and one output. Is there a way besides how Pendragon described?

small variation:

If the motor was self-powered (an old idea, and one updated recently by Pendragon), then the diplexers could be standard types, passing power only to the LNBs.
(I guess the splitter ahead of the motor wouldn't have to pass power either, but it would still have to pass 22khz).

If the motor was self-powered (an old idea, and one updated recently by Pendragon), then the diplexers could be standard types, passing power only to the LNBs.
(I guess the splitter ahead of the motor wouldn't have to pass power either, but it would still have to pass 22khz).

If the diplexers/splitters aren't power passing, there is some risk the DC isolation capacitors inside won't pass enough of 22 KHz to the motor/controller. I haven't tested this, however, so I can't say one way or the other.

If the diplexers are like the ones I use and have diodes for isolation on the OTA ports, one could use a F-tee to combine the cables, or since motors normally have two ports, each cable from the diplexers could be wired to a motor port. It mostly depends how you want to do the downleads. Also F-tees are usually harder to find than splitters.

This confuses me. A 2X1 DisEqC or SW21 has two inputs and one output. Is there a way besides how Pendragon described?

There are more complicated ways depending on what you are trying to achieve. This was the simplest and cheapest I could conceive. DiSEqC and SW21 switches are designed to select LNBs and are commanded by the receiver port. They won't work the other way around.

If you have one receiver and multiple motors that's a different case, for which the solution is easy. If you want to command multiple motors from multiple receivers, that's another; see the thread I linked to above. If you want to have multiple receivers turned on at the same time while commanding multiple motors and have full H/V choice selection, that's a little more complicated, but it can be done.

If the diplexers/splitters aren't power passing, there is some risk the DC isolation capacitors inside won't pass enough of 22 KHz to the motor/controller. I haven't tested this, however, so I can't say one way or the other.
That did cross my mind. In fact, it's highly likely.
Not like anyone sells parts for this configuration. - :rant:
We'll have to give Sadoun, SatAV, and WSI a shopping list for the new decade. - :cool:
After all, we did get at least one of 'em to carry the Ecoda 22khz switches.

Today, you may wind up using some custom modified hardware to make it all work, much like the modified multi-switches, but in the end it's well worth the little extra effort - :up

Not like anyone sells parts for this configuration.

I agree it would be great if sponsors would add some of these parts to their inventory. In the meantime, the dual power passing diplexers (Perfect Vision PVDP 2PP) seem to be the lowest price at Tech Tool Supply, but CyberEstore, Solid Signal and SatPro.tv also carry them.

I did think of one advantage of sending 13/18V through the diplexer - the GBOX controller 'wakes up' when this voltage first turns on. Otherwise one might be sending commands to a controller sawing logs.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts