Two receivers same network?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

pinkcookies26

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 11, 2006
I have two receivers, one in living room and one in bedroom. Today I used and old router and set it up as a range extender in the bedroom because the signal was kind of weak in there. I reconnected my smart tv and ps4 in the bedroom to the new extended network but can't seem to find how to reconnect the HR/24 to the new extended network. So my question is, with the Genie and whole home setup do the receivers have to be connected to the same network, and if not how can I disconnect the receiver in bedroom from the router in the front room to the router in the bedroom on the extended network? Thanks in advance.

My problem is that when I created the range expander, that signal had to be named a different name than the signal off the main router from the modem. So it is still connected to the main router but the signal is weak, I cannot find how to disconnect from that signal and connect to the expanded network off the second router. So if the Genie in the living room is on signal from the main router I wonder if the receiver in the bedroom can be on the expanded signal in the bedroom with them having different names i.e. different networks?

How are you connecting the two routers? My understanding is that receivers have to be on the same network. You should use the same SSID and disable DHCP on the old router.

Yes receivers have to be on the same LAN. There are a bunch of different ways to set up a router as a 'range extender', you need to make sure you are using a method where everything is on the same LAN. If they are both handing out DHCP addresses then they are not on the same LAN and the Directv receivers won't be able to see each other.

Is there any reason you aren't just letting them network to each other via coax? They will do that automatically so long as you don't try to connect anything to their ethernet port, then you just need a DECA or CCK to connect the coax network to the internet at a single location and they will also be able to talk to the internet (if you care about that, if you don't you can ignore that)

The Dtv receivers are connected via coax and them seeing each other and sharing is fine, my problem comes when I want to watch something " On demand " the playback is painful at times with it buffering all the time or just plain kicking me off. I was trying to get better signal for that purpose. I watched Amazon last night on the tv with the expanded network and it was flawless. Routers are setup as follows: Connected through ethernet cable with different addresses, different SSID's, main router is only DHCP, same encryption with different pass keys.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts