Please reply by conversation.

Wescopc

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 11, 2005
Canby, Oregon
Has anyone ever received 2 satellites on 1 LNBF at the same time? (i.e. - without moving the dish) I am thinking about Skyvision with their new service on 99°W (G-16). If one could receive that (with a dual feed LNBF) along with 97°W (G-25) or 101°W (AMC 4) without trying to squeeze in another LNBF at 2° spacing.
Bob

On C-band, I've accidentally gotten two sats (just the strong transponders) by being between sats.

For KU, you might check out the monoblocks that they sell primarily in Eurpoe. They are basically two lnb's melded together. Also there are companies that sell VERY small lnb's that will fit together pretty closely.

As far as doing exactly as you've described.. I've not had luck with ku from two sats on one single lnb... the signal is just too difficult to get strongly enough without being pretty dead on.

Thanks lumpkin666,
I am talking about KU. I have used the small LNBFs but they basically work on 4° spacing on a 90CM dish.
Being as a 90CM dish usually has a 1.8° to 2° beam, I thought ..... MAYBE! hence my question.
Bob

unless you work with stacked LNB's that have a very narrow "eye" it is very hard to get 2 degree spacing. I've tried it on my T90 with limited success (72/74 being the best). Once I got the stacked LNB's then it was a little easier

I would think a T-90 would be harder because of it's long focal length. Perhaps a 90CM would do it. I'll have to try it when I get back home.
Bob

Has anyone ever received 2 satellites on 1 LNBF at the same time?

Yes, AMC6 (72) and G17 (74). When I first pointed at G17 (SBS6 back at the time) I got major bleedover from AMC6 on all the transponders with channels (and a lot of the stronger wild feeds). AMC6, for me, is a very strong satellite. Even though it is about 12 degrees off-centre I get signals that are as strong as anything I get on AMC5 (79) which is only about 4 degrees off-centre. Interestingly, when the LNB is pointed at AMC6 I never get bleedover from G17, yet when the LNB is moved to point at G17 I still get bleedover from AMC6.

Well I played with a 90CM and a single LNBF aimed at 100W. I could barely pickup couple of transponders on each satellite - used 99W and 101W. Had fun but no home run!
Bob

analogy

If you lived between two cities, each with TV stations...
..and had an antenna aimed at each ...
.. then combined the two antenna output (this is like two satellites lighting up one LNB)...
.. then what would happen?

In the best case, you might get signals from both cities, as long as they were on different channels...
(that would correspond to being on different transponders)
However, if the two cities each had a station on channel 7, your receiver would get the two combined channel 7 signals, and unless one were much stronger, you'd get nothing the receiver could decode.

You can certainly experiment with two birds into one LNB, but in the end, I suspect no good will come of it. :cool:

And frankly, the guys trying to watch C-band on a little dish, are up against the same problem.

If you lived between two cities, each with TV stations...
..and had an antenna aimed at each ...
.. then combined the two antenna output (this is like two satellites lighting up one LNB)...
.. then what would happen?

In the best case, you might get signals from both cities, as long as they were on different channels...
(that would correspond to being on different transponders)
You are correct, I believe adjacent satellites do use different frequencies so as to not interfere. It comes down to beam width and gain. A set of "rabbit ears" has a very wide beam and very little gain. Our parabolas are striving for pinpoint accuracy hence a narrow beam and very high gain. Having said that, I was wondering how much we could fudge - well not very much!:no

To get two satellites on one lnb, with two degree spacing, you would need a smaller dish so that the lnb spacing is closer. But then the signal would be too weak.

T90 the 2 degree spacing is too far apart for one LNB.

To get two satellites on one lnb, with two degree spacing, you would need a smaller dish so that the lnb spacing is closer. But then the signal would be too weak.

T90 the 2 degree spacing is too far apart for one LNB.
That is why I thought a GEOSATpro 90CM MIGHT work with its 1.8° beam width.
Bob

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts