Two tuners...one line. How do I hook it up?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

wam37

Apr 22, 2005
I have a DIRECTV HDTV Receiver with Integrated 250GB TiVo Digital Video Recorder Model: HR10-250 and a triple LNB dish. The receiver has two tuners in it which should allow me to record one channel and watch a second simultaneously. Unfortunately I have only one cable line running to the wall the unit is plugged into.

Running a second line is not an option which I have been told is the only way to do this. However, when I was married we had a DIRECTV/Tivo unit (non-HD) that has one line running to it and uses a splitter and is able to record two channels simultaneously. The reason I do not know what is going on there is it is in a large condo where the signal is split to every (150) units in the building. Still...I know there is only one line coming in and it manages to get two channels simultaneously.

So, what am I missing? Is there any equipment that will allow me to get two channels off of the one line?

Thanks in advance!

Welcome to SatelliteGuys and congratulations on your purchase of the HR10. There is a way to get two channels off of one line but it requires a stacking system which is very expensive. Your best bet is to run a second line. Why is this not an option?

silversurfer01973 said:
Welcome to SatelliteGuys and congratulations on your purchase of the HR10. There is a way to get two channels off of one line but it requires a stacking system which is very expensive. Your best bet is to run a second line. Why is this not an option?

I rent and the landlord refuses to allow lines to be run on the outside of the building and poke holes in the walls (any walls but especially from the outside to the inside). To have the cable professionally pulled via interior walls is if not impossible then super expensive (cabling guys I talked to said it would require tearing down walls and/or pulling up floors).

How much is a stacking unit? What specifically would I need?

You can always run a cable through a window with a piece of flat coax. That's how we had it installed in our apartment. You can close the window on top of the coax, that's what it's designed for.

Note this is an HDTV setup. I saw somewhere that with a stacker I'd also need a multiplexer. No clue what this all is but keep it inmind for any solutions.

Thanks

The solution I posted works fine with HDTV. Way less expensive.

Neutron said:
The solution I posted works fine with HDTV. Way less expensive.

I agree and would love to take that route except the landlord will not let a cable run on the outside of the building (unsightly in his view) not to mention he does not want anything poking holes in the brick building (the anchors to pin the cable to the building). I really wish I could use your method.

According to the FCC your landlord can't stop it as long as you don't cause permanent damage. Here is a link. Print out the reg and show it to your landlord...

http://www.fcc.gov/cgb/satellite.html

Q: What types of restrictions are prohibited?

A: The rule prohibits restrictions that impair a person's ability to install, maintain, or use an antenna covered by the rule. The rule applies to state or local laws or regulations, including zoning, land-use or building regulations, private covenants, homeowners' association rules, condominium or cooperative association restrictions, lease restrictions, or similar restrictions on property within the exclusive use or control of the antenna user where the user has an ownership or leasehold interest in the property. A restriction impairs if it: unreasonably delays or prevents use of; (2) unreasonably increases the cost of; or (3) precludes a person from receiving or transmitting an acceptable quality signal from an antenna covered under the rule. The rule does not prohibit legitimate safety restrictions or restrictions designed to preserve designated or eligible historic or prehistoric properties, provided the restriction is no more burdensome than necessary to accomplish the safety or preservation purpose.

Thanks...I will look into the cabling option. Last quote I got for it was $350 so if a stacker/destacker setup costs me $500 I still might go with that rather than pissing off my landlord (and that once I have the equipment I can always use it without going through the cabling again).

So, anyone with any info on equipment needed to stack/destack a triple-LNB dish to a dual tuner HDTV receiver?

Silversurfer.. Re the landlord prohibition issue,,,you are not quite right. If you read the entire link you referred us to.. you will find this : "The rule does not apply to common areas, such as the roof, the hallways, the walkways or the exterior walls of a condominium or apartment building. Restrictions on antennas installed in these common areas are not covered by the Commission's rule. For example, the rule would not apply to prohibit restrictions that prevent drilling through the exterior wall of a condominium or rental unit." So actually his landlord CAN restrict him. Another issue not addressed is that if a restriction is in a lease or covenant that had to be signed,that equates to agreement to the terms and conditions unless otherwise deleted or amended in the contract.

MarkG said:
Another issue not addressed is that if a restriction is in a lease or covenant that had to be signed,that equates to agreement to the terms and conditions unless otherwise deleted or amended in the contract.

Actually signed leases & covenants that include these restrictions can & will be thrown out and / or amended because if the language in them contradicts the law, they are no longer legal. I have seen this done numerous times with 100% success.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

New Dish Installation

"Voom goes Boom" offer from DirecTV

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts