Two TVs sharing one DVR Receiver

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

mitchflorida

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 12, 2004
Does anyone have this kind of set up: The DVR receiver is downstairs on the main television, and the exact same picture and DVR programs are available on the upstairs television.

I live alone, so it doesn't matter if I can't see different programs on the TVs at the same time.

I guess I have to buy a splitter and and an RF remote control from Direct TV? Or do they supply two remotes as an option? Will a simple $5 splitter work okay?

I am just wondering if the picture quality is good with this kind of set-up (SD quality) and if the Remote would work okay from the upstairs room.

I have a setup like this. I have an HR21 with the HDMI output connected to my HDTV in the living room and the RCA jacks connected to a $20 RF modulator I bought at Target. The RF modulator output runs over the old cable line to my SDTV in the bedroom. Picture quality is fine.

The RF remote might be iffy depending on how far it is between the two sets. I go from one corner of a large condo to the other and I'm right at the edge of the range. Wanting instant gratification, I bought my 2nd remote from Best Buy, but it's a little cheaper to order it online from DIRECTV. Do the same RF setup as with the 1st remote.

Myself, I saved the $20 cost of an RF modulator and just an old VCR, I set the VCR on channel 4 out but you can also us channel 3. Works great.

I run five tv's all hd by using the HDMI output in my theater room and using the component output to a distribution amp that sends the signal by component ,left and right audio and digital audio to my four other tv's.

The RF remote might be iffy depending on how far it is between the two sets. I go from one corner of a large condo to the other and I'm right at the edge of the range. Wanting instant gratification, I bought my 2nd remote from Best Buy, but it's a little cheaper to order it online from DIRECTV. Do the same RF setup as with the 1st remote.

I have a question around this. If I have a harmony remote that is IR downstairs and I want to use directTVs RF remote upstairs, does the receiver support both IR and RF remotes at the same time without having to change the configuration through the menu system?

I have a question around this. If I have a harmony remote that is IR downstairs and I want to use directTVs RF remote upstairs, does the receiver support both IR and RF remotes at the same time without having to change the configuration through the menu system?

No. The receiver only pays attention to IR or RF, not both at the same time.

Only the R15 & R16 SD dvrs can be setup to accept both IR & RF signals. No HD receiver or DVR can.

Thanks for the replies.

I have one more question. Is the remote that comes with the HR22 and HR23 an RF remote? I have seen conflicting reports about whether the stock remote is RF or not. I have seen you can order RF or IR remotes from direct's website which confuses me more.

Thanks and sorry for all the questions. I am about to make the switch (come back to) to Direct from Comcast (3 years) but the distribution to other TVs is my last hang up.

I run five tv's all hd by using the HDMI output in my theater room and using the component output to a distribution amp that sends the signal by component ,left and right audio and digital audio to my four other tv's.

That's an interesting setup. Is this a special wideband distribution amp? Model # please.

Thanks for the replies.

I have one more question. Is the remote that comes with the HR22 and HR23 an RF remote? I have seen conflicting reports about whether the stock remote is RF or not. I have seen you can order RF or IR remotes from direct's website which confuses me more.

Thanks and sorry for all the questions. I am about to make the switch (come back to) to Direct from Comcast (3 years) but the distribution to other TVs is my last hang up.

The HR22 and HR23 that I have both came with a RF remote control, the RC64R to be specific.

I have a setup like this. I have an HR21 with the HDMI output connected to my HDTV in the living room and the RCA jacks connected to a $20 RF modulator I bought at Target. The RF modulator output runs over the old cable line to my SDTV in the bedroom. Picture quality is fine.

Another quick question...if your reciever is set up for use on a 16:9 tv for the HDTV, is the picture on the standard tv distorted?

Another quick question...if your reciever is set up for use on a 16:9 tv for the HDTV, is the picture on the standard tv distorted?

yes... it's squeezed on the sides. There are black bands left and right and, as you noted, a little distorted. Watchable, but not perfect.:cool:

Not if I tune to an SD channel. Usually I record shows from HD channels, though, so those end up distorted on the SDTV. I don't watch many recordings in the bedroom so it's okay for me.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)