Tyler, Texas

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

msnyder

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Mar 22, 2004
Member since 03-18-04, OTA not working for me. (Getting better antenna Friday, 04-02-04) Post here with comments and suggestions.

Longview here

OTA not working for anyone else in Longview because of OTA map codes or something. I'm curious if it's working for anyone in the Shreveport area since we pull our locals from there.

I didn't think tyler had any locals broadcasting in digital yet. Longview only has one, but it's Fox. All of the good ones come out of Shreveport. I just found out that Longview's local spot beam information isn't even in the system. So we don't even get the information showing up in the program guide yet. :no

Tyler is also out of the spot beam. Tyler has all channels available in analog and digital. The new CBS 19 was supposed to start broadcasting today in HD, Digital, and analog, but I haven't been able to pick it up. I have heard their tower is not complete on the broadcast end. The tower at the studio has been finished for a few weeks. I'm really excited about this... Tyler's first HD!!! Looks like we'rv "moving on up....." (*breaks out in song*)

:p

Since my last post it seems Voom has made some changes... I now see NBC 56 and CBS 19 in the PG, but I can't pick up the channels (getting better antenna tomorrow) hopefully that will make a big difference. There are still channels missing, I'm not going to get ancy (spelling?) this has changed in the last 3 hours...

Well, apparently they fixed something because now I have KETK and KLSB showing up in my guide. That's it though. BUt it's a step in the right direction. Now I gotta beat someone up about getting the rest of the channels added in.

KLSB is the new CBS 19, KETK is NBC 56. CBS hasn't begun broadcasting yet, they were supposed to go live on 04-01-04, but it seems they haven't yet. Probably still working on the broadcast tower at Mt. Selmen.

I just noticed we both posted that message within a minute of each other hehe.

Hey did Metro Tech Solutions do your install too?

They were just here...had to go to Home Depot to pick up a couple of U clamps that weren't in the antenna box. Come to find out the stealth antenna had the coax barrel plug broken off of the circuit board on the inside... No wonder it wasn't picking anything up. They sheould be back shortly, then I've got to leave to go pick up my new truck...

*UPDATE*

The new antenna didn't fix anything. Locals do not work with Voom, and to be honest I think they looked better before the new antenna, when plugged into my TV Tuner.

:-(

I can't get mine to come in either, at least with the stealth. I got up on the roof last night and swung it around to point at 198 degrees, but my off air signal strength still shows less than 20. The interesting thing is that my off air signal strength never seems to change. Even with no antenna plugged in it is still less than 20. It would seem like it would at least increase the signal strength reading if it were pointed in the right direction.

How far does antennaweb show you to be from the stations?

I've been working with Jason at Metro Tech Solutions to get some of these OTA problems resolved. The most recent thing is getting some more channels added to the lineup.

What local channels does Tyler usually pull?

dledeaux said:
The interesting thing is that my off air signal strength never seems to change. Even with no antenna plugged in it is still less than 20. It would seem like it would at least increase the signal strength reading if it were pointed in the right direction.

Mine is the same, but occasionally it jumps up to 70 something but then right back down to 20ish. usually 19. I read somewhere that this is an idication of the antenna being overpowered, but I have tried also buy unplugging it, does not good.

dledeaux said:
I've been working with Jason at Metro Tech Solutions to get some of these OTA problems resolved. The most recent thing is getting some more channels added to the lineup.

What local channels does Tyler usually pull?

I've also been working with Jason @ MetroTech...

Tyler usually pulls Fox 51, ABC 7 (KLTV), NBC 56 (KETK), and CBS 11 out of Dallas (This is supposed to have changed April 1st to KLSB CBS 19 broadcast out of Tyler in HD) CBS 19 will bee the first and only to broadcast in HD for Tyler. I have told them I could care less about HD for locals right now, why can't they just broadcast locals via the dish stream instead of OTA? At least until the bugs are worked out of the OTA stuff. DishNetwork has had Tyler locals for a year and DirecTV started streaming them April 1.

Well, I give up. I'm going back to DishNetwork. Voom just isn't ready for "Prime Time" IMO.

msnyder said:
I've also been working with Jason @ MetroTech...

Tyler usually pulls Fox 51, ABC 7 (KLTV), NBC 56 (KETK), and CBS 11 out of Dallas (This is supposed to have changed April 1st to KLSB CBS 19 broadcast out of Tyler in HD) CBS 19 will bee the first and only to broadcast in HD for Tyler. I have told them I could care less about HD for locals right now, why can't they just broadcast locals via the dish stream instead of OTA? At least until the bugs are worked out of the OTA stuff. DishNetwork has had Tyler locals for a year and DirecTV started streaming them April 1.

Hi, guys, I've been reading up on Voom on this forum and especially for the Tyler area and I can shed a little light on the OTA subject for Tyler.
(edit) Are you aware that the VOOM receiver will deliver only digital signals and not the analog stations? That is probably why you can't get any signals OTA through the V* receiver. The new CBS station should change that.

FOX 51 and NBC 56 are listed as having digital signals available now, but that is only part of the story. FOX is broadcasting digital signals from their studio location in Longview at 200 watts only, so that is barely enough strength to cover Longview (if it does at all) and they are NOT delivering any HD content. They are merely mirroring their 480i signal at this time. We cannot get that signal in Tyler unless you have a long range antenna and maybe not even then.
As for NBC 56, they are broadcasting their digital signal from their tower in Jacksonville at 400 watts only and can be received from Tyler with a good antenna, however, according to their tech department they also are not broadcasting any HD signals, again just mirroring their 480i analog signals over a digital carrier. They have no plans to broadcast HD content in the near future.
Channel 19 is now KYTX (CBS) and they are available on Cox cable on channel 11 only for now, however, they (their tech department) have said that they will be broadcasting OTA analog and digital signals beginning June 1st at full power and their digital signal will carry all CBS HD content at 1080i! Something to look forward to. I hope they get on air soon, but to be honest I don't really watch network TV much anymore.
I have E* service now and am contemplating moving to V*, but I am getting a little bit scared off by the horror stories I've read here. Can you shed any light on the installation quality here in Tyler? Are they competent? Prompt? Knowledgeable? etc.... I would appreciate hearing of your experiences.
Please let me know if you need any further info on local OTA situation, as I have been making quite a project out of finding out what's going on so I can take advantage of my new HD home theatre setup.

Ty2083 said:
FOX 51 and NBC 56 are listed as having digital signals available now, but that is only part of the story. FOX is broadcasting digital signals from their studio location in Longview at 200 watts only, so that is barely enough strength to cover Longview (if it does at all) and they are NOT delivering any HD content. They are merely mirroring their 480i signal at this time. We cannot get that signal in Tyler unless you have a long range antenna and maybe not even then.
Yep, and they're not very high up on the tower either. You pretty much have to be living right beside the tower to get it. I'm 7 miles from it in Longview and can't get it.

Ty2083 said:
I have E* service now and am contemplating moving to V*, but I am getting a little bit scared off by the horror stories I've read here. Can you shed any light on the installation quality here in Tyler? Are they competent? Prompt? Knowledgeable? etc.... I would appreciate hearing of your experiences.
Longview and Tyler get Metrotech Solutions out of Dallas for their installs. I have had nothing but pleasant dealings with them. They are punctual, helpful, etc. I didn't even have problems getting them to run cable through my attic. They also negotiated a nice Winegard antenna for me and did a nice install on my chimney.

Ty2083 said:
Please let me know if you need any further info on local OTA situation, as I have been making quite a project out of finding out what's going on so I can take advantage of my new HD home theatre setup.
The FCC runs a very nice website that can be used to really dig into some good info on the stations. http://www.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/audio/tvq.html You might already have it. Sometimes, if you dig deep enough, you can even find drawings of what their projected coverage area is. Neat stuff.

Thanks, dledeaux, I will check out that FCC site. I may have already been there, as I have checked out so many lately, I can't remember. CBS 19 is set to start OTA broadcasting today (6/04) but I haven't tried to get it yet. The problem is, the networks really don't give me any programming that I can't live without....LOL! But I suppose it will be nice in any case, and football this fall should be a much more enjoyable experience. Now, if the Cowboys would switch to CBS instead of FOX, I would be really happy (and they started winning, too, of course)!!
Thanks again, and feel free to keep in touch if you find out anything new.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)