u75r vs cm2016

jetfixr

Oct 17, 2009
california
Up until this past week I was using a u-75r ratshack antenna. It was awesome prior to the digital switch-over. But of course only 1 stinking channel in my area decided to go back to VHF. Even at that, channel 10 was very watchable in the evening hours rarely ever having a dropout during the evening. Actually I probably wouldn't even bother replacing it if a tree in my yard hadn't fallen down and broke half of the elements on it. If I replace it with another u-75r I know exactly what type of reception I can expect. If I replace it with some other antenna that claims to have a bit of VHF reception then channel 10 would be rock solid but I face getting an antenna with unknown gain values on the UHF side. I would like to stick with a smaller antenna, the footprint of the u75-r is great but I could go just a tad larger if need be. I was looking at the cm2016, but don't know if it is as solid of a performer on the UHF side. Would a mast mounted preamp on a u75-r make a difference? I am only going through about 50 feet of rg-6. I know the u75-r is a UHF only antenna, but if I could just pull in channel 10 a tad better I would be happy. It's not that I really watch day time TV, but having the option would be nice.

boba

SatelliteGuys Master
Dec 12, 2003
Dorchester, TX.
You are asking questions but providing very little information. Most important where are you, at least give a zip code? How is the antenna going to be mounted how many TVs?

jetfixr

Oct 17, 2009
california
In general, I am asking gain questions. Am I going to give up any UHF gain on the CM-2016 vs the u75r? How much more gain can I expect on the CM-2016 vs the u75r? And, yes, I know the u75r is considered a UHF only antenna. I only need to get one VHF channel which is 10, it was watchable night with the U75R but not during the day. I am wondering if the GAIN on the a preamp would tip the scales and give me a more viewable signal on VHF 10, given the fact that I am running only about 50 feet of RG-6 and the VHF signal does not suffer as much as UHF due to coax loss. The U75R worked very well for me on all UHF channels. The antenna farm that I am trying to hit is 50 miles to the north of me in a huge valley, the broadcast antennas are at 1500 to 2000 feet so it is very much line-of-site with no obstructions. I am in Modesto Ca and the antenna farm is about 20 miles south of Sacramento Ca

Jim5506

SatelliteGuys Master
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Oct 19, 2004
Slaton, Texas
The U75-R was barely performing for you on the VHF channel.

I would probably upgrade to an antenna that was strong enough to surely receive both UHF and VHF both day and night.

I would probably go with at least a Winegard HD7694P, maybe a 7695.

I might go for the 7695, its only $4 more than the 7694 and the gain and F/B ratio is slightly better, but they are about twice the price of the U75-R and CM antenna.

boba

SatelliteGuys Master
Dec 12, 2003
Dorchester, TX.
Using zip code 95350 for Modesto TV Fool shows you at 48 miles from ABC CH.10, it also shows a PBS Ch. 9 at about the same distance and compass heading. To go strictly by gain is risky because there is no independent testing so it is a manufacturers figure you are trying to compare.I have a Winegard HD1080 Ch 7-69 antenna that I am using at 61 miles to pick up CH.8 and at 40 miles to pick up Ch12 VHF. It is small and low cost and works here. I also have an Aspen Eagle DTV2BUHF 2 bay bow tie UHF antenna that works on 1 TV for those same VHF channels. Both work for me but I can't promise they will for you but at $25 or less I would try the DTV2BUHF.

Jim5506

SatelliteGuys Master
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Oct 19, 2004
Slaton, Texas
That is precisely why digital TV reception is more of an art than a science.

You can receive VHF channels on an antenna advertized to have negative gain on the VHF spectrum from 40+ miles away!

JB Antennaman

SatelliteGuys Family
Oct 12, 2009
Western Pennsylvania
When dealing with reception where even a station 50 miles away is line of sight, you need to expect to buy as good of a antenna as you can afford.

I would suggest that you buy a Winegard 7698P or a 8200U.

With that set up and a minimum amount of RG 6 wire and no splitter, you would not need much if any amplification to compensate for line loss.

When ever you buy a new antenna, you cannot go by what you knew before, because analog tv and digital TV and UHF vs. VHF is a whole different ball game.

Here is your TV fool report - TV Fool

Here is your radar plot - TV Fool

As you can see, you will have signals coming from all directions and for that you should use some type of antenna rotor to properly receive all these signals.

Anytime you want a comparison chart that is good for most manufactured antenna's - all you have to do is ask. I just dumped a whole bunch of charts. But I still might have a few on hand.

Here is a comparison of some antenna's - Comparing some commercially available antennas

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts