U934 . . .

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Well, I think I found a bug in U934.

We watch Amazon Prime a bit. As you all know it's an app on the Hopper.

Before it worked just fine. Since U934, when we start binge watching and watch for over 45 minutes (it's variable) the app will just crash and return back to the Hopper channels. Scare the crap out of me the first time because is was during a bright screen and all I saw was a brilliant flash of light on my brand new Sony OLED TV. I thought the TV died!

My guess is that it's a memory leak somewhere in the Prime app. We've been watching every night and every night we get crashes between 45 minutes and about 2 hours. It's pretty random.

If anyone else can put on Prime and just start a movie or binge watch some shows and can duplicate, please let me know and we can file a bug report.

I was asking a question. Not "complaining about your complaint". Netflix has always been buggy. I'm not sure why you'd think a minor update that had few feature changes would suddenly fix that. ...
Well, since we never get the software release details telling us exactly what the new software is supposed to do anymore, then how exactly are we supposed to know that it is only a "minor" update? It had been over two months since the last software update, and the version number jumped by 7. So, Dish was obviously taking their time working on something, going through multiple versions before finally getting it "right."

Reactions: TheKrell
If everything you want for streaming is readily available on your TV, why are you complaining about the apps on Dish? Why are you event TRYING to use the apps on Dish?
That was kind of my point about having all of these apps on the H3 being kind of a waste. Hopper 3 customers are likely higher-end customers who already have smart TV's and other streaming devices to be able to use their apps to access this content. Meanwhile, customers with Hopper Duos are more likely to be on a budget, and not have the fanciest new TV or other streaming devices. So, we are the ones who would be more likely to appreciate having the apps integrated into the Dish receiver, and would be more likely to actually use them. Therefore, that is where Dish should be concentrating their efforts on adding more streaming apps.

If anyone else can put on Prime and just start a movie or binge watch some shows and can duplicate, please let me know and we can file a bug report.
I would test this, but I have a Hopper Duo, so... :(

Reactions: HipKat
Well 95% of the time they won't load. They're always crashing, locking up or giving me some kind of error. I was using Netflix on the TV long before D!SH put in their boxes. They jack with my TV and kill settings that are needed to fix the PQ. The volume is +15-20dB than the regular D!SH fare and when switching back I get blasted. Using the apps that are already on the TV which are far better, made for the TV and then there's my TV4K, that has everything I want right there and when I ask Siri to find me something, I get what I ask for and I don't get all but YouTube clips. And everything I watch is in one app that I can easily scroll through and get the episode or series right where I left off. I'm just saying . . .
I tried using Netflix twice yesterday. With U647 (Hopper Duo) when I use the voice command "Netflix" to launch Netflix, and then select a show to watch, it does not automatically start playing the episode. Then, when I select the option on the screen to play the episode, it acts like it is trying to load. However, the progress only makes it to 25% and then stays stuck there, no matter how long I wait. When I back out of Netflix and launch it again by entering channel 302 on the remote, Netflix works just fine. It did not have the problem after launching with the voice command while I was still on U640, so I think I found a new Netflix bug with the latest software.

I couldn't disagree more. If they take away the Upgrade Software tool, then any time word leaks out here about a new software version, there will be members here who are so impatient to get the new software that they will find some other way to force the update, such as doing a Boot Recovery, for example. Just think back to when the Carbon UI was still being developed, and members here found a way to download it even though it was not ready for the general public yet. In the case of forcing the update by a Boot Recovery as I mentioned above, this can cause more damage to the receiver (or at least the software in the receiver) than it fixes, and it may even cause new issues to appear that would not have happened if it hadn't been for the Boot Recovery. So, by providing the Upgrade Software tool, this gives users the feeling that they have some sense of control over when the receiver does the software update, or at least a way to check to see if the new software is available yet. It also provides a "safe" way to force the download, instead of causing users to seek some other method of forcing the download. So, it serves a purpose.
Yes but you might cause problems you never had. I have never updated my Hopper2/sling for the 8 years I've had it and I let the receiver do the updates and I have never had any problems.

Reactions: cosmo_kramer
Yes but you might cause problems you never had. I have never updated my Hopper2/sling for the 8 years I've had it and I let the receiver do the updates and I have never had any problems.
QFT. I've never been in the initial group to receive new software for any receiver I've had over the years. Just lucky, I guess.

Well, since we never get the software release details telling us exactly what the new software is supposed to do anymore, then how exactly are we supposed to know that it is only a "minor" update? It had been over two months since the last software update, and the version number jumped by 7. So, Dish was obviously taking their time working on something, going through multiple versions before finally getting it "right."
That's a pet peeve of mine, too, that they never release the update change log anymore

I have to admit I use my Roku for streaming. I understand what Dish is trying to do with integration but I'm just not interested in that kind of set top box functionality.
Power users who know better (steraming devices are just superior experience) don't have a desire for these apps, but I gurantee you a great many subscribers likely do. The common subscriber is probably a lot like my extended family with Dish: the just LOVE the Netflix and other apps on their H3 because it is easier than changing inputs, which is something they really have a hard time doing. I tell you, my aunt and uncle completely forgot they had a Roku and that they used to use it to watch Netflix, etc. That is your common Dish subscriber, and the rest of my extended family with Dish is NO BETTER! :). These apps are smart move by Dish. It gives a reason to keep a Dish box in the home if it has other important entertainment uses. People can downgrade, but keep Dish for the few channels they want live with all the DVR and H3 features and use it to access Netflix, Amazon, etc.

Power users who know better (steraming devices are just superior experience) don't have a desire for these apps, but I gurantee you a great many subscribers likely do. The common subscriber is probably a lot like my extended family with Dish: the just LOVE the Netflix and other apps on their H3 because it is easier than changing inputs, which is something they really have a hard time doing. I tell you, my aunt and uncle completely forgot they had a Roku and that they used to use it to watch Netflix, etc. That is your common Dish subscriber, and the rest of my extended family with Dish is NO BETTER! :). These apps are smart move by Dish. It gives a reason to keep a Dish box in the home if it has other important entertainment uses. People can downgrade, but keep Dish for the few channels they want live with all the DVR and H3 features and use it to access Netflix, Amazon, etc.
Oh, no doubt.

And us power users know we should wait until software is stable to DL. But that is NOT who we are.

We are early adopter gear-heads and when see NEW software and just have to click on it. We can't help it. It's in our DNA.

The "New Daily Update" is so pleasantly worded. But "YOU CAN NOT OPT OUT OF IT!" and continue watching. And it still waits until you want to watch TV, even while it's recording and has been in Standby all night.

It says: "Something's Wrong...." "NO SH!T!"

This is a big step backwards!

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk

Reactions: pattykay
The "New Daily Update" is so pleasantly worded. But "YOU CAN NOT OPT OUT OF IT!" and continue watching. And it still waits until you want to watch TV, even while it's recording and has been in Standby all night.

It says: "Something's Wrong...." "NO SH!T!"

This is a big step backwards!

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk
And what's worse, according to a recent thread, this issue is now also affecting Wally!!! :mad: :strike2 :oldmad

(Actually, it is kind of the opposite scenario in that case. It waits until you turn the TV off, and then does the reboot, even when the show is still being recorded. Either way, it is a case where the unit has to be woken up first, before doing the Daily Reset at an unscheduled time.) :(

Reactions: SandFarmer
Bad news. With this version the fix I posted elsewhere for fixing the scrambled/pixellated Joeys doesn't work anymore (changing to an OTA station and switching back to a satellite station). I had to reboot the H3 twice because of this happening yesterday.

Thanks a lot, Dish! :mad:

Apparently they don't want us peons devising workarounds for long-time broken engineering issues anymore either. Roommates (that use the Joeys) are just furious--one of the calmest statements presented yesterday I can share here was "$120/month and Dish still can't get their [2 words censored] together after months and months"
Update: I'm having to reset our H3 an average of 3 times a day now because of the Joey scrambling/pixellation/stuttering issue. I'd call in but I know all I'm going to get is more frustration talking to a CSR reading to me from a script asking if I unplugged the STB for 30 seconds and plugged it back in. I'd disconnect the OTA dongle but we're in the middle of the Scripps dispute and I can't now.

• Sad
Reactions: pattykay
Update: I'm having to reset our H3 an average of 3 times a day now because of the Joey scrambling/pixellation/stuttering issue. I'd call in but I know all I'm going to get is more frustration talking to a CSR reading to me from a script asking if I unplugged the STB for 30 seconds and plugged it back in. I'd disconnect the OTA dongle but we're in the middle of the Scripps dispute and I can't now.
Does unplugging the Dongle fix the issue?

Does unplugging the Dongle fix the issue?
Yup. It always happens when the OTA dongle is plugged in. And it doesn't matter which port either. This all started during the Meredith dispute when Dish gave us an OTA antenna. Like I mentioned in another post, we did have a truck roll after the OTA install to troubleshoot and the tech said it was a software issue and that Dish was aware of it. Also I have 2 dongles...one I bought (white AirTV) and the one Dish (black Dish) gave me and it happens with both.

Yup. It always happens when the OTA dongle is plugged in. And it doesn't matter which port either. This all started during the Meredith dispute when Dish gave us an OTA antenna. Like I mentioned in another post, we did have a truck roll after the OTA install to troubleshoot and the tech said it was a software issue and that Dish was aware of it. Also I have 2 dongles...one I bought (white AirTV) and the one Dish (black Dish) gave me and it happens with both.
Since those two models are identical (if the black one is the newer Lark model) then this may be a rare case where switching to the older, smaller (and unfortunately, heat-prone) Hauppauge model may help with this issue.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)