UHF Antenna in Attic for Remote?

pbrown

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 26, 2003
West Coast
Hi all-

I currently have a 508 that I've got backfed into the rest of my house. I have my little UHF remote antenna in the attic attached to a long RG-6 to use to recieve signals from the remote all over the house. Works great.

Now I'm going to replace the 508 with a 921, and I'd like to put up a big antenna in the attic to receive my locals. My question is, could I split the output of that big antenna into the UHF remote input, and use the big antenna to recieve signals for OTA and the remote? I'd like to just use the cable I've already got run to the attic for both so I don't have to run another to the attic.

Thanks in advance for your help, I hope my question makes a little sense!

You probably can the question will be if the larger antenna will pickup any intefering signals that could actually reduce range. That small antenna is actually cut to a length to receive a specific frequency.

If your trying to share one line for the satellite input and antenna you can probably use a diplexor at each end. Let me know how you make out.

JORDYNAMIC said:
If your trying to share one line for the satellite input and antenna you can probably use a diplexor at each end. Let me know how you make out.

This will probably not work, since the remote's UHF signal is likely to be in the spectrum of the OTA signal. A diplexor only works when there are two or more separated spectrum ranges of signals.

The plitter is the only option, unless you want to run separate coax.