UHF/VHF on DiSEqC switch?

j.thompson1

Original poster
Jun 19, 2009
Southern California
Quick question - I have one FTA receiver that is getting channels from two different sats (using two different dish antennas). Coax from two different dish antennas comes into a DiSEqC 4x1 switch. I want to get local channels through UHF/VHF roof antenna that I have installed. Can I plug-in coax from UHF/VHF antenna into the same DiSEqC 4x1 switch? and expect FTA receiver to get local channels via UHF/VHF antenna? See the attachment for visual reference.
doch.jpg

No this will not work.

You would need to insert and extract the UHF/VHF signal using a diplexer. Insert the diplexers in the coax line between the DiSEqC switch and the receiver. Be aware that you will lose approximately 3dB when inserting the two diplexers.

-OR-

Use a Multi-Switch with terrestrial input instead of a DiSEqC switch. If you have two satellite LNBFs and one terrestrial input, use a 3x_ along with a single diplexer to break out the terrestial signal at the receiver.

FTA receivers will not tune or decode ATSC DTV signals unless the FTA receiver has an ATSC tuner. If the FTA receiver has a ATSC tuner, it will have a separate antenna connection for the terrestrial UHF / VHF signals. Satellite and Terrestrial tuners will have independent inputs and not share a single coax input.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)