Ultimate tv by microsoft

Status
Please reply by conversation.

dodge

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 1, 2004
Plano, Illinois, United States
I have a brand new ultimate tv dvr in the box i bought from wally world a few years back. it still has the unsubbed hu card( thats why i bought it) i never did anything with it. I know to use it i would need a new access card , but i was wondering if Directv still supported this unit and all of its dvr features. I dont care aabouit the isp stuff though...:confused: :confused: :confused:

Yes - its still fully supported and is an awesome DVR - running 2 of them now. It'll just never be upgraded but I can't really say I have experienced any bugs in the past few years.

In many ways it was better than Tivo, but kept mine active (could have been repaired/exchanged even now) after one turner failed. MS never upgraded the box and dropped it way too soon. For some reason I thought D* would make me an offer to exchange for one of their newer DVRs. Never happened so after a year I removed it from service and gave it to Goodwill in the original box. Again it was a great DVR that could have been much better know and enjoyed.

Claude Greiner said:
Thats what the Dishplayer should have been!

I had the Dishplayer before UTV. MS had big plans for UTV with a big launch, but just poor advertising. I even like the Webtv unit built in and surfed the Web while watching TV or wrote an e-mail. Now that may new again?

From what I read... UTv has the best interface.

you may be able to pay the $20.00 fee for the card and get it back when you send your old card to them. Just wait till you get the new card and up and runing. the UTV has a $9.99 monthly fee which is outragous.. Now they may not add the unit for you either. Check AVSFORUM.com for utv thread..
I have a Sony unit (never actived) I purched 3 years ago that was never used as well. Brand new bought for $20.00..the hard drive in these are 40gig and are very good video drives.
when you stop using the unit remove the drive and use the special program to format it..u will have a very solid 40gig drive..also the hard drive upgrade is very easy to do on these units..go to officemax and find one of those western digitals for cheep. Get either a 120 or 160 only. The UTV only takes one drive and can not handle larger than 137gig..So it will make the 160=137gig.
(Seagates work too.) 9th Tee has more info on that upgrade..:up

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)