Unable to lock onto Satellite 129 - NO trees or Obstructions

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Dallaslady

Original poster
Jul 24, 2011
United States
Good afternoon!

This is my FIRST post of a question which, after looking over the other threads, I haven't found an answer to yet. We are traveling in an RV and recently replaced our Wingard In-Motion satellite with a newer model: Wingard Roadtrip Minimax In-Motion Model No. RT8035T. We also replaced our Dish receiver with a 322 (dual tuner) receiver. We have Dish 500. When I did a check switch, we have 3 ports showing with 119, 110 and 129, but 129 has an x under it. Shouldn't we be able to get 129 since we were told that Casper, WY sends their locals out on 129 (as opposed to getting the locals on 110 as we usually do when traveling around)? We are currently in Lander, WY, zip 82520. Is it possible our receiver is interferring with our reception of 129?

Thanks for your help!

Frances R.

I had the same issue, I called DISH and they said that is normal and I will get all the stations I pay for, they are correct.
Okay...well...I'm paying about $69.99 + tax....I do believe that's not the issue. But, I will certainly check to make sure this isn't the problem. Thanks!

You have some sort of problem since 129 is the major source of Conus HD for the west arc and should be received loud and clear in WY.

Thanks, Dan. I haven't seen an option for 72.7 when I run a check switch.
If you are using a 322 receiver you will not be able to pick up 72.7 since it is MPEG 4 and the 322 is MPEG 2. Also do you know what type of LNB you are using? My guess is you are using a DPP Twin if you are using a DISH 500. With a DPP Twin you are only able to pick up 119º and 110º. On the Installation Summary screen do you have 2 green OK's under 119 and 110?

I had the same problem with a similar setup. The only thing I could think of was that the housing on the unit itself would block the signal because of the low elevation on 129. It only comes in @ 24 degrees across the horizon here in NE TN.

If all you have is a 322 then there is no need for 129 as it is for MPEG4 HD (322 is MPEG2 SD.) 110/119 will get you all of your SD channels.

If all you have is a 322 then there is no need for 129 as it is for MPEG4 HD (322 is MPEG2 SD.) 110/119 will get you all of your SD channels.

Good point, I failed to mention I was using a 222 in my previous post.

If you are using a 322 receiver you will not be able to pick up 72.7 since it is MPEG 4 and the 322 is MPEG 2. Also do you know what type of LNB you are using? My guess is you are using a DPP Twin if you are using a DISH 500. With a DPP Twin you are only able to pick up 119º and 110º. On the Installation Summary screen do you have 2 green OK's under 119 and 110?

Zach, I'm not worried about the 72.7 stuff...but am trying to find out if it's my receiver which is keeping us from getting 129. I know that we have two separate lines running out of the in-motion satellite (one for each TV so we can watch different channels at the same time...I know...an RV isn't big...but sometimes I don't want to watch TWC or CNN!!), so I don't think it's a twin. Our programming is DISH 500...but I don't believe it's a "DPP Twin" and am not even sure what that is.

To the person who said I don't need 129.....a special circumstance occurs in the area we are in (according to DISH Rep.) in that when we called in our location in order to get the local channels (ABC, NBC, CBS, etc.), the system wanted to send out a tech for the problem because apparently Casper, WY transmits their local stations on 129, not 110. So...that's why I'm trying to get it.

We have Tuner 1 with GREEN OK's under 119 and 110 and below that, Tuner 2 has GREEN OK's under 119 and 110. BOTH tuners list 129, but there's an X under it. Our satellite is HD capable and able to transmit via 129 as well. I just wanted to know if it was our receiver, programming or the actual satellite preventing us from getting 129. Oh...and last night the rep I was talking to managed to get around the "send a tech to our home" situation to try to allow us to get 129 or locals....something like that. Our lower numbers disappeared (below 71) after she did what she did and I did a check switch again (after performing one with the lines disconnected from the receiver...trying to clear out the prior info).

So easy to get confused on all this mpeg2 mpeg4 8psk qpsk stuff....129 is not mpeg4.Its still mpeg2.There is still one transponder 21 that is qpsk.If the 322 can't see transponder 21 on 129 then either something is blocking it or less likely its an lnb issue.Either way the op should get 129 since their locals are on that sat.

According to DISH Reps, if we want local TV (which, in this case would be from Casper), we have to get 129 because Casper transmits on 129 instead of 110. She said it's an unusual situation, but occasionally happens.

So easy to get confused on all this mpeg2 mpeg4 8psk qpsk stuff....129 is not mpeg4.Its still mpeg2.There is still one transponder 21 that is qpsk.If the 322 can't see transponder 21 on 129 then either something is blocking it or less likely its an lnb issue.Either way the op should get 129 since their locals are on that sat.

lol...confusing, yes...you've got that right. So, any ideas how I would find out what our LNB is? We have a brand new----right out of the box (almost) Winegard in-motion minimax satellite. It's HD capable and, prior to having this satellite, we never had the "option" of 129 show up in a check switch. I'm just trying to find out if the 322 receiver would affect anything. I feel certain our satellite is set up to get 129.

You could probably pick up a 222 from a local retailer. They sell for around $149 give or take a few dollars.

Except for the Casper DMA, that comes off 129 trans 2.

Ah hah!! So....Zach...my question is....assuming that he LNB is okay on our satellite (in-motion hd capable...) could our receiver have anything to do with not receiving 129, especially now when we are in the wide open spaces with absolutely no trees or mountains above us?

lol...confusing, yes...you've got that right. So, any ideas how I would find out what our LNB is? We have a brand new----right out of the box (almost) Winegard in-motion minimax satellite. It's HD capable and, prior to having this satellite, we never had the "option" of 129 show up in a check switch. I'm just trying to find out if the 322 receiver would affect anything. I feel certain our satellite is set up to get 129.

Most likely you only have 1 lnb with that setup that is capable of operating 2 receivers or tuners at the same time. On the control box from the ones I've seen it gives you the option for different setups and satellite configurations. You select the 1 you want and then run the check switch. Most of them are legacy lnbs and need to have the separators left out of the setup with a dual tuner receiver. You will need a 222 in order to receive any programming on 129 & no it will not affect the 322 by having 129 show or not in the check switch screen. You just won't be able to view any programming on 129.

well to be honest don't know much about your Winegard in-motion minimax.Did a quick search and it states that it toggles between 110/119/129 it also states that it will work with eastern arc.So in theory it should be getting 129.The 322 should see all 3 sats.All that leads me to believe that something is blocking 129.

http://winegard.com/minimax/ looking at the pdf near the bottom of the page it says This model is PRESET for DIRECTV receivers. If you have a DISH Network or BELL TV receiver, you must change
the numbered switches.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)