Unable to resize screen only in Voom? Non HDTV channels look awful!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Martin586

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 9, 2004
Just had my Voom installed today (7/9/04) in NYC. I'm watching on 50" Grand Wega 3 LCD TV and the HDTV picture is great. Unfortunately anything else that is not HDTV looks terrible. I know it will look better if I could only resize the picture from 50" full screen to a letterbox format - but I cannot do it on Voom. I tried all screen versions on the setup menu - but no matter what I do - it will only display as full screen. MY Sony remote also refuses to reset screen size - but only while watching Zoom. When I watch analog channels on my Time Warner cable - the picture will resize to any format I choose and is much better quality. Why can't I resize screen while on Zoom?
My Voom locked up on me. I could not change channels or even turn it off - I was eventually forced to unplug it. Now I lost my TV guide and the Voom refuses to update itself.
My extremely unprofessional installation late this afternoon (had an AM appointment) by Sureway was done by a grumpy individual (and his son?) who installed it with a weaker than recommended signal. At first he insisted to install both the dish and the antenna in my window ( I live on the top floor of a 6 story Coop apt bldg) since he did not want to bother with the roof and cabling. The tiny OTA antenna he brought in refuses to pick up CH 13, has lousy picture and there is no UHF antenna. I happen to be in a clear signal path of the Empire State Bldg and only 5 miles away. When I asked why he cannot get me the channels that I was supposed to get - his response was "So what are you going to do? Shoot me?"
So far I'm very disappointed. The guide will not refresh and the unit froze on me again just now. The only channels that are viewable (and look great) are HDTV. How can I improve digital/analog channels? They look ten times better in a letterbox format on T/W Cable. Help! Marty in Rego Park, Queens (NYC)
PS I never received a copy of a work contract - so I don't even have my account inumber/info

Martin,

under system settings choose option 1 - picture format. Set the narrow to wide = pillar box and wide to narrow = to squeeze. This will give you all sd channels as pillar box or 4:3 and will not stretch it. If you have the stb connected through DVI, I believe sony does not let you different mode to zoom the picture through DVI. I have a Sony GW II and this is the case with DVI. Through component you can do it with the sony remote.

By the way, welcome. What software are you running? Go to system settings and find out. You can always reboot the stb by pressing the power button in front of stb for 10 seconds and then letting it go. When you unplug stb or reboot, your guide information will need to be downloaded. It takes between 10-20 minutes to download the PG. It is better not to navigate the PG while this is happening.

Martin,

last thing. Regarding your OTA antenna installation and satellite installation. Please email "Wilt Hildenbrand" wilth@optonline.net and let him know about the poor job that Sureway did. I do believe that others have complaint about them as well. Also, tell Wilt that you are not happy with your installation and want another installer to be sent to your house so that they can install the satellite and antenna on the roof. Let Wilt know what type of antenna you got and that you are not happy with it.

Martin....sounds like your biggest problem is you live in New York! Also, it's HD. Why do you want to change the screen size if it's 16:9. No STB box can change a 4:3 OTA picture because it really is a 16:9 picture with black as part of the picture. Should probably consider getting AVIA and calibrating for the best possible PQ now that you have up to 40 channels of HDTV. Suggestion: The VOOM STB also outputs a simultaneous 480 signal via the composite outlets so you can record on VCR.Run that feed into another input on your TV and you'll be able to change picture size of SD. You'll have Video 1 SD and Video 2 HD.

Tvlman said:
No STB box can change a 4:3 OTA picture because it really is a 16:9 picture with black as part of the picture.
Wrong, I used to think that as well. But the Hughes E86 can do it. ANd I would bet money that the new d* HD reciever can as well. I had the e86 for 8 months before someone on his forum showed me how. 4:3 OTA on a 16:9 HD station can be stretchd to 16:9 eliminating the black pillar bars. I posted pics on a previous thread proving it. But the voom moto cannot do this! And from what I hear does not have the hardware inside to do it. Our new state of the art box is inferior to the old D* hd box. they now have an even newer model. Inexcusable to put out a product that doesnt even measure up to the current hardware already on the market.

PS if you doubt me, send me a message and ill post pics of any program you like to verify it.

Welcome, Martin586.

Try adjusting you resolution from the VOOM box to see if that helps with the SD signals. If you set it to "native" resolution, it will send the SD stuff to the monitor as 480, without conversion to HD. That should allow you to stretch it with the controls on the sony, as you would any SD signal.

Also, read this thread:

http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=2052

It will save you a ton of grief, and answer most of the questions that arise about your new system. Learn....and Enjoy!

Martin586 said:
Just had my Voom installed today (7/9/04) in NYC. ............. I happen to be in a clear signal path of the Empire State Bldg and only 5 miles away. When I asked why he cannot get me the channels that I was supposed to get - his response was "So what are you going to do? Shoot me?"...............

Isn't that actually considered polite in NYC??? :D

Martin586 - I have a Sony KF50WE610 and it should work. Do what Sean said in the previous posts and you should be able to get full screen on HDTV and pillar box on SD. It looks the best that way - well at least it pleases the wife!

If you want to watch your 4:3 shows in the aspect you want, watch via S-Video and put your stb in Auto or Native mode, that is the only way the SD image works properly with the Setup options.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts