Understanding the Shaw channel layout.

VE7GLR

Original poster
Nov 4, 2019
BC but AZ now
I am in Arizona and know that I wont get channels dedicated to G1 but I don't know if my problem is related to the following or that I have an issue with my HDPVR630.
On channels between 210 and 220, I get only the EVEN numbers.
On channels between 901 and 920, I only get the ODD numbers.
On channels between 300 and 305, I only get the ODD numbers.
On channels between 258 and 262, I only get the Odd numbers.
I have attached a pic of my screen if that helps. Thanks for any help. Gary

Attachments

• 20200203_121329.jpg
    20200203_121329.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 355
Looking at the transponder maps that Shaw offers, adjacently numbered channels are typically lined up on the same transponder so it would not appear to be a polarity issue.

I am in Arizona and know that I wont get channels dedicated to G1 but I don't know if my problem is related to the following or that I have an issue with my HDPVR630.
On channels between 210 and 220, I get only the EVEN numbers.
On channels between 901 and 920, I only get the ODD numbers.
On channels between 300 and 305, I only get the ODD numbers.
On channels between 258 and 262, I only get the Odd numbers.
I have attached a pic of my screen if that helps. Thanks for any help. Gary
Just to add to this confusion, If I'm watching ch 212 then try 258, it says "Receiver has lost signal". If I then click a channel in the 900's, then ch 212, it says "Receiver has lost..."
BUT 258 will work. So to switch between 212 and 258, I must first go to 9xx to allow the switch. It seems this causes some kind of reset or reversal of tuners? Gary

It seems this causes some kind of reset or reversal of tuners? Gary
It is possible that the other tuner is being used (even though the tuner you're using is already tuned to the appropriate transponder).

If your Tuner 2 is truly dead as the picture you posted suggests, that would explain everything.

I really do not see anything wrong with your picture, except your ebno is really low at 5.4. I am not with Shaw now, but was for 10 years. Never had a Pvr unit but if you switch to channel 213, then tuner 2 should lock. Each channel alternates between tuners. You have the newest map at 4378 so you must have the Xku lnb for it to work correctly.

I think you have to adjust your dish because those signal levels are way low to lock reliably, especially since they went Mp4 HD recently.
Catamount

Every time you change channels, the receiver toggles between tuners, hence the on/off until you change the pattern.

I assume that you have two coax lines from the LNB to the receiver? If not, then you need a second line. If you do have two lines connected, then you either have a coax problem, or a tuner problem, or a port on your LNB is the problem. An easy check is to shut off the receiver, and unplug it, and then switch lines. If tuner 1 still works, then it is a tuner problem, and, obviously, if tuner 2 now works then there is a coax problem, or one of the ports on your LNB is the problem. Process of elimination will determine where the problem is.

Just remember to always unplug the receiver before switching lines, or ports on the LNB.

If it is a tuner problem, then to be able to watch any channels you get on only the one tuner, go into Preferences, then Tuners & Storage, and change the setting Single Tuner Mode from Disabled to Enabled. Of course, it will restrict viewing if you do any recordings (there is info that explains the restrictions with Single Tuner Mode).

You have been given some great advice here. If this does not help maybe take your prv to someone who has a working system. Where is your location in AZ?

In the interim until it is determined what the issue is that is causing tuner 2 to fail, in settings you can set the PVR to single tuner mode. This way you will not have issues tuning to every other channel.

VE7 I assume you are a shortwave operator by your handle?

Hi Guys. I am in Casa Grande Az. The VE7 is an Amateur radio callsign for the British Columbia area of Canada. Thanks for all the help. Gary

easiest way to check this is put receiver on a working channel, then swap cables from the dish on the back. if the channel comes back on then both cables are fine. No need to unplug the receiver to do this either.

easiest way to check this is put receiver on a working channel, then swap cables from the dish on the back. if the channel comes back on then both cables are fine. No need to unplug the receiver to do this either.

I disagree. It is always safer to unplug the receiver. When the receiver is in standby, it is still sending voltage down the coax to the LNB. 12-18 volts is more than enough to short out switches (in the LNB), or could even affect the tuner, as anyone, for example, involved in Free-To-Air knows if they have ever blown out a port on a DiSEqC switch!

I disagree. It is always safer to unplug the receiver. When the receiver is in standby, it is still sending voltage down the coax to the LNB. 12-18 volts is more than enough to short out switches (in the LNB), or could even affect the tuner, as anyone, for example, involved in Free-To-Air knows if they have ever blown out a port on a DiSEqC switch!
FTA is a lot different that satellite my friend, I have been doing this for over 20 years and never blew one up yet. But if it makes you feel safer please do unplug it..

Reactions: QCK
FTA is a lot different that satellite my friend, I have been doing this for over 20 years and never blew one up yet. But if it makes you feel safer please do unplug it..

LOL! FTA is exactly the same, because it is satellite! Receivers, switches, LNBs, dishes, etc., basically all the same. Check my signature and note some of the Star Choice/Shaw Direct dishes and LNBs that I use, including using my Shaw Direct subscription dish to receive the unencrypted odd wild feed on the Anik satellites (watched some curling feeds on there last month) through my FTA receivers.

Just because you haven't experienced any problems, doesn't mean it can't happen when you don't unplug the receiver. It can be very easy to cause a short. I shorted out a port on a DiSEqC switch when a coax connector came loose.

More to the point of Star Choice/Shaw Direct equipment, when we had the old style LNB with the 2 port 22KHz switch (which was mounted outside on the dish, whereas now the 22KHz switch is built into the LNB) I had water/ice get in under the coax connector and waterproof boot causing a short. Fortunately, it was a very robust 22KHz switch and didn't blow out, just a loss of channels which after drying out (at night, up on a ladder with a hair dryer!) worked again. Unfortunately, it happened again (this was before I was into FTA and wasn't more experienced to know what to do to protect it) and finally, one time caused a total loss of horizontal signals on one of the LNBs, therefore requiring a new LNB. So a short can, and does, happen, even with Star Choice/Shaw Direct equipment.

Plus, with your experience, you should know that someone not experienced with satellite receivers would not know that when the receiver is not unplugged that the coax still carries 12-18 volts, and it is very easy to make a connection on the connector to cause a short, especially at the LNB (and if it is the tuner that the OP posted about is the problem, it may have happened). Therefore, it is always best, whether experienced or not, to unplug the receiver.

As I said, If it makes you feel safer by all means unplug it and wait for 2 minutes for it to boot up again. But just so you know, even when customers call Shaw directly with a problem they have the customer pulling wires and swapping wires all while rec is hot. I get a lot of service calls because little old ladies can not get the wires in the right spot, etc etc. and the rec is left like that for 2 or 3 days before we can get there. NEVER had any equipment failure unless that was the reason the caused the original problem. Not to mention that Shaw will replace any equipment for Free for their customers. Have a nice day..

Reactions: QCK

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts