Unhappy Newbie with questions

swicker

Original poster
May 23, 2005
Hello,

I had dish installed two weeks ago. They installed a dvr receiver and a HD receiver on two different t.v.s. I am having major issues with pixelization and ghosting on the local channels which we receive through the satellite. Most of the satellite channels are okay. It's happening on both t.v.s. When we watch a sports event like Nascar, it's really bad. We've had two techinicians out here. The first changed out a lot of the connections and the dvr receiver and nothing changed. The second changed one cable and said he could not fix it. He said that's just the way they are broadcast and we'd have to live with it, although he's never noticed this problem before. I find it hard to believe everyone is receiving their channels this way and it's acceptable. He also advised me to get an OTA to see my locals. Unfortunately we live near the mountains and don't pick up the locals, hence the need for satellite.

Should the locals look the same as the satellite channels? Has anyone ever heard of this before? Does satellite reception typically have problems with programs that are fast paced like Nascar.

I've been working with my local dish installer. Is there someone higher up the food chain that I could talk to that would know more?

Any advice would be helpful.

Sandy

swicker said:
Hello,

I had dish installed two weeks ago. They installed a dvr receiver and a HD receiver on two different t.v.s. I am having major issues with pixelization and ghosting on the local channels which we receive through the satellite. Most of the satelitte channels are okay. It's happening on both t.v.s. When we watch a sports event like Nascar, it's really bad. We've had two techinicians out here. The first changed out a lot of the connections and the dvr receiver and nothing changed. The second changed one cable and said he could not fix it. He said that's just the way they are broadcast and we'd have to live with it, although he's never noticed this problem before. I find it hard to believe everyone is receiving their channels this way and it's acceptable. He also advised me to get an OTA to see my locals. Unfortunately we live near the mountains and don't pick up the locals, hence the need for satelitte.

Should the locals look the same as the satelitte channels? Has anyone ever heard of this before? Does satelitte reception typically have problems with programs that are fast paced like Nascar.

I've been working with my local dish installer. Is there someone higher up the food chain that I could talk to that would know more?

Any advice would be helpful.

Sandy

Hmm.

My mistake...sorry

Sorry for the incorrect spelling. I was not paying enough attention to the details. Thank you for pointing out my mistake. I've made a mental note and made the appropriate changes. By the way it is "What city are you in?" not "Why city are you in?" I think that was something we learned in grammar school. Just giving you a hard time since you were so quick to point out my mistake. Mistakes happen. No hard feelings on this end. I should have used the spell check conveniently provided on this site.

To answer your question, I am in the far south east edge of the Phoenix broadcast area.

Thank you for the info on the local channels.

Sandy

I live in Peoria. I get locals through the dish with no problem that I am aware of.

How close are you to South Mountain? The HD OTA's are broadcast from there. I haven't really watched the dish "provided" locals, but I will to research this for you. How often does it happen? (i.e. constant, every now and then, etc.)

I have heard several bad comments about locals quality. Most are linked by fiber to Dish's uplink facility, so it could be a link problem from the station to Dish's uplink. Or just poor quality equipment on the station end.

I am sure that providing locals is expensive for dish, they probably went as cheap as possible on the uplinks.

Might try to get with someone else who is getting your locals and see if they have the same issues, you could then call the station, maybe that would help.

I didn't spell check this, so if there is a mistake, and mistakes bother you, just skip on to the next reply.

swicker said:
I think that was something we learned in grammar school.

By the way, it's TECHNICIANS, not techinicians.

My local channels had the same problem but we were able to get it (mostly) corrected with a relatively simple fix. Others in my area were having some problems but not to the degree I was.

My local channels had the same problem but we were able to get it (mostly) corrected with a relatively simple fix. Others in my area were having some problems but not to the degree I was.

Would you care to share the relatively simple fix?

How close are you to South Mountain? The HD OTA's are broadcast from there. I haven't really watched the dish "provided" locals, but I will to research this for you. How often does it happen? (i.e. constant, every now and then, etc.)

We are about 35-40 miles from south mountain in Queen Creek very close to Florence. I think the San Tans block our line of sight. We are about a mile from them. Strangely, I've been able to receive Fox and NBC from Tucson which is twice as far away via my outside antenna. I think a stronger one mounted higher would make a big difference. I will invest in one if I am able to at least get a better answer than "I don't know, live with it" from the installer.

The pixelization is a constant problem on the local channels. I have some on the satellite channels, mainly on shows that are fast paced. I have none when I watch a DVD and I had none when we had cable, so I don't think it's the t.v. If there is a reason I'd have it on satellite and not on digital cable or DVD, please enlighten me. It's also doing it on all the t.v.s and receivers. One of the t.v.s seems to be worse than the others or at least it's more noticeable. Some shows and some channels are worse than others. The pixelization is worse on shows with a lot of movement.

I am going to talk with some more neighbors tonight and see if I can find anyone with the same issue.

Does the mountain obstruct your view to the satellite at all? I can't see there being a difference between my signal and yours if they are looking at the same satellite. I have a straight shot to the satellite from my dish.

Feel free to PM me if you want.

Dave nye said:
What are your signals levels on 119 & 110 transponder (or may be called spotbeam) 11? This sounds like a signal problem to me.

All Phoenix locals are on 119 5s6 and 7s6. It is almost assuredly a signal issue since Phoenix is such a large metro area. There are far too many to complain for this to be a wide-spread issue and have never been solved.

Dave nye said:
What I am saying, is that his dish is either not peaked or he has an obstruction. That is why I was asking what his signals were.

I think it's a "she" judging from the name. Most Sandys I know are women.

Cascade said:
Quit the constant corrections, this isn't the place for it.
If grammatical or spelling errors piss you off so much you should ignore the post or get a job in Kindergarten.

Did I say they pissed me off? (/me looks around) Nope. Never said that. That would be an assumption (one in which you were 100% incorrect) on your part...and we all know what that means. You should never assume anything because your assumption will be, statistically, incorrect. She corrected me so I corrected her.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)